Magnet pub in Southey

What year exactly was it pulled down Jabbers, do you know?.I didnt think it was there in the 80 s.But I maybe wrong.

I came to Sheffield in 1995 and the pub was definately still there then. If my memory serves me correctly it was early 2000's (2002/03) I think it was when it was pulled down as I moved back to this side of the city around that time and it was shortly after that.

I still refer to that round about as the Magnet Roundabout and most of the bus drivers know exactly where i mean :D

the tossing ring in the Magnet car park on sunday afternoons after closing was what i remember ,every now and then the police would raid ,cop cars would come in all directions ,with people scattering all over the place ,

I remember it as a children's nursery school, if it's the same place. This was before the new church was built, the old one being more or less a wooden hut. The bricks for the new church were piled up on the land for may years before building got underway.

------------

Hi okismoki, Not sure if you know your whereabouts around southly hill

just up from shops, few years ago there was a childrens home on the

right near the church, i'am trying to know what was the home called as

my sister had one off her children put into care there.

I remember it was up from the magnet pub on right.:help:

Hi,Bryan 1941,this is your old mate sooty.okismoki was right, it was northlands,and it was next to st.bernards church.my wife lived right across the street from it,she is sister of okismoki's father-in-law.The church by the way burnt down on our wedding day 29-3-1958.we will be home for a visit soon,in april,not long now!! cheers,clydesdale.

Hi,Bryan 1941,this is your old mate sooty.okismoki was right, it was northlands,and it was next to st.bernards church.my wife lived right across the street from it,she is sister of okismoki's father-in-law.The church by the way burnt down on our wedding day 29-3-1958.we will be home for a visit soon,in april,not long now!! cheers,clydesdale.
:suspect: change of username I think!!!!" Let me know when you come over,I will have a dripping cake waiting.

hi,okismoki,i'm going to hold you to that dripping cake,lovely!yes i changed servers and all hell broke loose,couldn't get on to the forum,(talk about withdrawal symptons) my daughter kay came over and got it all sorted for me.cheers,see you soon. ( family gathering i believe)clydesdale

Know it well mate,it was Northlands or North Hill...my in laws lived on Southey Hill,more or less across from it.Across from the home was a health centre,a couple of pre-fabs,these came down in the late 70`s/early 80`s,the home got demolished in the 90`s

I remember Danny and Dougie Green,2 mixed race brother living in the homes in the 60`s,both went to Southey School same time as me.

------------

Hi okismoki, Now your spot on its come back to me soon as i saw your

thread and a big thanks.

Although i live on southey hill myself in the 70/80 it was bottom end

where i lived passed that phone box on the right as the bus goes down.

Thanks mate.

----------

Hi ya clydesdale, Not sure if i know you ( sooty )

but that info regards the church st, bernards i hadn't heard about the fire

so is it down to the ground. :huh:

The kids home was that of northlands, cheers.

------------

Hi okismoki, Now your spot on its come back to me soon as i saw your

thread and a big thanks.

Although i live on southey hill myself in the 70/80 it was bottom end

where i lived passed that phone box on the right as the bus goes down.

Thanks mate.

You will know old Doris Lawrence and the Palfreymans then????

They lived on the "Hill" near where you used to live,also the Gillot family....

Hi,Bryan,i worked with you at riley's,i remember when you started there,also in1971 ,i got a lift with with you from the "troway" cafe on the M1,down to park royal,i was on my way to visit the ex-landlady of the noah"s ark,intake(riley"s drivers local)nancy and husband george in surbiton.You had a bloke with you ,who was retired from daniel doncasters.I was visiting from canada at the time.cheers clydesdale.(sooty)

whilst clearing my mum in laws house (departed last saturday bless her) yesterday came across a lot of old photographs, includedin these were some snaps of the outside and inside, my fater in law always used to stand at the top end of the bar near the poolroom (this used to be the take away off license bit) anyone remeber him, alf walton.

I'm writing a book on Sheffield pubs and if you (or anyone) has any pictures of this pub I could use please pm or email me [email protected]

Thanks

---------- Post added 28-04-2016 at 21:21 ----------

Here 's two of the pics from 1950 coach trip for Sheffield Wednesday football match. I am there with many of the locals who visited the Magnet pub. Thanks to "skippy" for showing me how to do the photos. I am sat at the feet of a bookie. Maybe its your dad. My dad and uncles and grandad are also in the photos. hope it brings back good memories JACK SYDNEY

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/sydneyozz/?action=view&current=MagnetCoach2.jpg

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/sydneyozz/?action=view&current=MagnetCoach1.jpg

Hi- I am writing a book on Sheffield pubs- would you be happy for me to use this picture? pm me or email [email protected]

I used to go in the Magnet occasionaly on the way to my girlfriends at the time she lived on Dryden Rd,you could buy anything in there if they didnt have it it would be there next day.