Magnet pub in Southey

I remember in the early 80s we used to sit on the wall outside it used to be packed.

Can anyone remember ted and irene been landlord and landlady and the barmaid jane ingram ? Haha it were the southey club

Know Julie Ingram

Yes thats right. Her name was Anab, we went to school together.

Lot's of the Jama family still live in the area.

I know this family too. I can remember the accident too such a sad loss.

yes thats me must have been about 9 or10 lived adlington went to southey green pop kay .boris any body remmember Ivy o brien. joe hobson .alan scott .alan bolsover.peter green.the one i would really like to find david pool.:)

joe hobson remember his colourfull teddy boy siutes allso dave pool lives in woodhouse

Its not very often they just pull a pub down like that. I heard it was a drugs place, is that true.? Is the old Southey Green Working Mens club still across the road.? Maybe someone from Southey will know.

I left Sheffield in 1968 even i know southey w m c is still up & running cheers

I remember in the early 80s we used to sit on the wall outside it used to be packed.

i once went there to play a darts ind match went int darts room sombody had pinched darts board

I left Sheffield in 1968, but when I was younger eg 8 ish, my sister and I used to go to the off license with 2 Tizer bottles for 2 pints of mild for my grandad. Use to be poured througha brass funnell. I never saw the Tossing Ring but think the same grandad used to be part of it at some time in his past.

I always wanted to sit outside with my friend with a bottle of pop and a packet of crisps, but neither dad nor mum went in the Magnet.

yes i do and i think it was a total waste and we all still call it magnet lol

My OH has often told me hes "waitin fot bus ont magnet" when hes been up there visiting family :hihi:

He says it was definitely still up until AT LEAST 1991, as he used to play on there as a kid.

yes,i do,unfortunately old alan died of cancer.

------------

Hi okismoki, Not sure if you know your whereabouts around southly hill

just up from shops, few years ago there was a childrens home on the

right near the church, i'am trying to know what was the home called as

my sister had one off her children put into care there.

I remember it was up from the magnet pub on right.:help:

Apparantly one night a gang walked in there and wheeled away the bandit in front of everyone and no one said or did nuffin......enuff said

My hubby was a wrought iron man and got the job there to manaufacture a

device to stand the bandit on so it could be wheeled away at night to be locked up!

------------

Hi okismoki, Not sure if you know your whereabouts around southly hill

just up from shops, few years ago there was a childrens home on the

right near the church, i'am trying to know what was the home called as

my sister had one off her children put into care there.

I remember it was up from the magnet pub on right.:help:

Know it well mate,it was Northlands or North Hill...my in laws lived on Southey Hill,more or less across from it.Across from the home was a health centre,a couple of pre-fabs,these came down in the late 70`s/early 80`s,the home got demolished in the 90`s

I remember Danny and Dougie Green,2 mixed race brother living in the homes in the 60`s,both went to Southey School same time as me.

My OH has often told me hes "waitin fot bus ont magnet" when hes been up there visiting family :hihi:

He says it was definitely still up until AT LEAST 1991, as he used to play on there as a kid.

It closed for the last time in 93