Magnet pub in Southey

well in the end it got a really bad reputation. I really myself personally think that the Southey Club, just really took all its Business. All the sensible drinkers went were beer was cheaper and entertainment better (southery club) and well lets say the less sensible ones stayed in the magnet. Thus its bad reputation. But why pulled magnet down, well when the magnet was closed down, the empty building was set on fire, thus making re-opening impossible. Hence pulled down. That's my opinion for whats it's worth.

well in the end it got a really bad reputation. I really myself personally think that the Southey Club, just really took all its Business. All the sensible drinkers went were beer was cheaper and entertainment better (southery club) and well lets say the less sensible ones stayed in the magnet. Thus its bad reputation. But why pulled magnet down, well when the magnet was closed down, the empty building was set on fire, thus making re-opening impossible. Hence pulled down. That's my opinion for whats it's worth.

The Southey Social Club would be able to sell beer cheaper wouldnt they ?

Pattricia, has your probably aware all working mens clubs have much cheaper beer prices, and back in 80's and 90's the entertainment was, well lets say 'entertainable'. Well i saw some great acts, but then i'm easily pleased.

Pattricia, has your probably aware all working mens clubs have much cheaper beer prices, and back in 80's and 90's the entertainment was, well lets say 'entertainable'. Well i saw some great acts, but then i'm easily pleased.

Yes, I am aware that working mens clubs sell beer cheaper. Ive had many a pint in The Walkley Working Mens club havent I ?:hihi:

Yes, I am aware that working mens clubs sell beer cheaper. Ive had many a pint in The Walkley Working Mens club havent I ?:hihi:

I don't know have you. I have read some of your posts in the past and I had you has a wine drinker, and well very educated. So i'm not correct, lol

I don't know have you. I have read some of your posts in the past and I had you has a wine drinker, and well very educated. So i'm not correct, lol

No, I like my red wine, but like a pint of Fosters or Carling. Do they still have strippers on a Sunday afternoon in the Working Mens Clubs ? Well educated ? Yes, I went to the university of life didnt I ?

No, I like my red wine, but like a pint of Fosters or Carling. Do they still have strippers on a Sunday afternoon in the Working Mens Clubs ? Well educated ? Yes, I went to the university of life didnt I ?

Wow you shock me. Thought you was a lady. Strippers? I saw belters in the magnet, in fact nearly pulled one that had me up. Good days. (cream comes to mind) Bloody magnet.

Wow you shock me. Thought you was a lady. Strippers? I saw belters in the magnet, in fact nearly pulled one that had me up. Good days. (cream comes to mind) Bloody magnet.

Yes, those were the days my friend

We thought thed never end.......................:hihi::hihi:

Wonder why cream comes to mind ?:huh: Ah, yes, got it havent I ? Rub it all over , ya ? :D

ok, pattricia, so the picture of you, isn't really you is it? You let the cat outta of the bag, lol. As you say they did end, (them days) but the fire still burns inside, the old me, is waiting to ingnite.

ok, pattricia, so the picture of you, isn't really you is it? You let the cat outta of the bag, lol. As you say they did end, (them days) but the fire still burns inside, the old me, is waiting to ingnite.

Really ???????????? I shall go to bed a happy woman now wont I ? :hihi::hihi:

does anyone remember the magnet pub at southey green?? closing it down......was it a good or bad choice???

From 1967 to 1970 I think we had our dinnertime there most days.That is PWD employees based at the Southey Depot.

Dinnertime was 12.00 to 12.30.The bitter served was ,and I quote,"Like nectar"

We used to play darts, a game of " Life" and the pot could each 7shillings and sixpence or I think now 37.5p. Quite well worth winning then.

I never did win,but I do remember the great times we had and the comradeship of the lads I worked with back then.

Chris Hines Plumbeer ex PWD

:|remember the the Magnet at Southey with great memories.

From 1967 to 1970 we had our dinnertime there most days.12.00noon until 12.30 was our lunch break.Every day I remember we played darts."Life was the game and at times the pot would reach 7 shillings and sixpence(37.5p I guess today)Back well worth winning.

The bitter was great,just the one pint,but the Magnet was even better,a peeny or tuppence dearer...!!!!!

On Fridays they even let us bring in Fish and Chips.Try doing that today

Great pub, greta memories.

Kittyper.

My nickname comes from when I worked on Morgan Avenue.I was asked by lovely Mongol boy "Whats your name?" my reply was Christopher..!!!! To which he replied "Kittyper?" That is how I have been Known ever since.