Magnet pub in Southey

its not very often they just pull a pub down like that. I heard it was a drugs place, is that true.? Is the old southey green working mens club still across the road.? Maybe someone from southey will know.

the magnet was for down to earth people i had a sister who worked there and southey club and my brothers worked ther too it was rough at times but not like these days there would be a punch up then that be it not carry things on like these days

nah not me, working behind the bar at the time for a chap called big terry and i mean big, then for a chap called alan and his wife linda good days, a typical estate pub, bookies next door, i remember the bookies runner but cannot for the life of me remember his name oh thats it "beigy" i still see him from time to time not changed at all.

what is your name do you know the ingrams

yep. Paul baige.hes famous round here. Why i dont know.i think it must be cos every bugger knows him for one reason or another.

aw bless him

Any Body Remember Jipsy Jess The Biker And His Missis Pat

they live in skegness now

yep. paul baige.hes famous round here. why i dont know.i think it must be cos every bugger knows him for one reason or another.

aw bless him he used to chase me all over

Any Body Remember Jipsy Jess The Biker And His Missis Pat

i remember pat and jess they live in skeggy now lovely couple i knew them lond b4 they met cant think of pats sister who was married to scotch jock as they called him there mum was annie fogg she was a lovely woman bt the way he wasnt a gypsy his mum used to work in kirks shop southey green rd

The Magnet used to be a good pub, when I was a kid there used to be a tossing ring on a sunday and the spivs would pay some of the young lads to look out for the coppers and if one was around everyone would scarper like double quick.It was a pub for older people no disrespect to anyone where the young ones wernt bawlin and shouting,thats when Ted Catlin had it, he used to play for Wednesday.He retired and the looneys took over and the police were always too busy,ugh. whats new.When we were young Southey club would run a trip to Cleethorpes for the day,the only holiday most of us got .apple orange bag of crisps bottle of pop great we all wanted a pee after five miles and a ticket for fish and chips when we got there.We were supposed to queue up yerv never seen as many feights in yer life. My mother was always a steward so ide swop tickets so I wernt on her coach its marvelleous I always came home with more bruises than I went with!!The coaches lined up from the Magnet right down to the White horse, not anymore,have we all gone mad in this world today full of PC.

those were the days when i was a child i used to be a stewardess sometimes for the skegness trip few years later with my own children

Its not very often they just pull a pub down like that. I heard it was a drugs place, is that true.? Is the old Southey Green Working Mens club still across the road.? Maybe someone from Southey will know.

yeah ,the working mens club is still across the road .

As for the Magnet , it was a blessing in disguise ,the day they pulled it down .it was on a par with the Castle in town ,which has been closed down by the police .

The Magnet was a very apt name for the pub ,as it was a magnet for petty criminals and trouble makers.

Great photos sydney, you must be that little tot with blonde hair, cute! no my Dad would never leave the Magnet long enought to go on any of those trips... waste of good drinking time, he would stick us on the coaches and take off......also my Dad wouldn't be seen dead in a "cap", he was too much in love with his slicked back hair :roll:

yes thats me must have been about 9 or10 lived adlington went to southey green pop kay .boris any body remmember Ivy o brien. joe hobson .alan scott .alan bolsover.peter green.the one i would really like to find david pool.:)

i think i remember ivy o brien, did she have a daughter called collette and a son called terry ?

i think i remember ivy o brien, did she have a daughter called collette and a son called terry ?

hi vickyleigh dont realy know ivys family went to school with her she would be 68 now i saw her a few times after that in the magnet nice to make contact jack

hi jack, not sure if its the right ivy, last time i saw her if its the right person, she lived at top of southey hill, and she passed away about 18 months ago, vicky.