Magnet pub in Southey

I did hear that a mine dropped by parachute by the Germans during the Blitz was hanging from a tree outside some cottages opposite the Magnet.

dont know about that,but its well documented that a mine exploded on southey hill,blowing windows out in the surrounding area,taking a few houses out on southey hill.

Was my Dads second home, edit: first home.

was my dads first home too :hihi:southey social club is now :hihi:

What year exactly was it pulled down Jabbers, do you know?.I didnt think it was there in the 80 s.But I maybe wrong.
think the magnet was demolished in 93? could be a year out:suspect:

dont know about that,but its well documented that a mine exploded on southey hill,blowing windows out in the surrounding area,taking a few houses out on southey hill.

That's right. It made quite a mess.

CLICK HERE

Edited by Unregistered

I did hear that a mine dropped by parachute by the Germans during the Blitz was hanging from a tree outside some cottages opposite the Magnet.

I don't rember a landmine in the trees but rember one dropping on Southey hill opposite St Bernards church.At that time 1941? I was living on Northlands rd where the roof of our back bedroom was blown off.I was 14 yrs old at that time.

does anyone remember the magnet pub at southey green?? closing it down......was it a good or bad choice???

We went to live at Southey Green in 1929 so I remember the Magnet Hotel very well.It had a 9 hole golf course at one time.It had a beautiful long bar made of magohany and was privately owned by a man called Bradshaw.The pub built there previoosly was called Thr Traveller's rest.When we left Southey Green in 51 Iwould have said that it was a bad choice,but visiting the area in later years,Iwould say that it was avery good choice.

I don't rember a landmine in the trees but rember one dropping on Southey hill opposite St Bernards church.At that time 1941? I was living on Northlands rd where the roof of our back bedroom was blown off.I was 14 yrs old at that time.

Can anyone remember the "hot dog" man in the early 60s? He used to turn up in something like an A40 van, open the back doors, and there inside was the food. He had a big tub of what I think was sausage meat and onions mixed together, and used to spread it onto a breadcake. Looking back, I don't recall a lot of hygiene being practised, and if today's food police came across anything like that now they'd shut it down. However, it was quite tasty, and as far as I know he never killed anyone!

Can anyone remember the "hot dog" man in the early 60s? He used to turn up in something like an A40 van, open the back doors, and there inside was the food. He had a big tub of what I think was sausage meat and onions mixed together, and used to spread it onto a breadcake. Looking back, I don't recall a lot of hygiene being practised, and if today's food police came across anything like that now they'd shut it down. However, it was quite tasty, and as far as I know he never killed anyone!

no,but i remember the old blue chip wagon,before hansons opened.

I used to play around there when I was a lad in the 1930s. A fair used the ground behind it every year where I once found 3 tortoises in a tyre outside a caravan which I promply took home. I gave two away and each one was painted a different colour so we could recognise them while they were racing.

When we needed a few pennies we would climb the wall of the Magnet or the WMC and borrow some bottles which the landlord would pay us for by returning them. Apart from that we were in a pain in the neck, nearly drowned in a lime pit when they were building Parsons Cross.

is your first name LOL by any chance, my dad always told me as a lad about his mate Lol who almost died in a lime pit up parson cross

my great grandma n grandad practically lived there and when they passed away thats were there ashes went. x