How important is our sense of humour?

We all find things 'funny' but what do you find makes you chuckle?

A sense of humour... whats that? I have a crazy sense of the rediculous, take for instance a little snippet I heard the other day.

I will set the scene:

Dark stormy brooding skies, the sea battering at a frail boat just off the German coastline, The captain struggling to keep his footing at the wheel as his little ship is thrown this way and that by huge seas.

He calls down to his mate in a panic.

'I think shes going to sink!, get on the radio and call for help'

The mate does as he is told....

Mayday mayday we are sinking his voice tinged with panic...

He repeats the distress call several times until through the static he hears a faint reply in a strong German accent.

'Hello, Vat isit you are sinking about?'

Made me laugh... but thats me. what makes you laugh.

We all find things 'funny' but what do you find makes you chuckle?

A sense of humour... whats that? I have a crazy sense of the rediculous, take for instance a little snippet I heard the other day.

I will set the scene:

Dark stormy brooding skies, the sea battering at a frail boat just off the German coastline, The captain struggling to keep his footing at the wheel as his little ship is thrown this way and that by huge seas.

He calls down to his mate in a panic.

'I think shes going to sink!, get on the radio and call for help'

The mate does as he is told....

Mayday mayday we are sinking his voice tinged with panic...

He repeats the distress call several times until through the static he hears a faint reply in a strong German accent.

'Hello, Vat isit you are sinking about?'

Made me laugh... but thats me. what makes you laugh.

Very funny.We have someone on here called Jabberwocky,and when hes on form,he is hilarious.I would rather have a laugh anyday, than talk about serious subjects.We get enough of those in the papers & on the t.v.

It's difficult to put a finger on exactly what makes me laugh.

There are some poster on SF who really do get me laughing my head off. I won't name them here, but I look forward to reading their posts immensely. They cheer me up no end.

I don't like "corny" humour. My eldest son has a wicked sense of humour and entertains me sometimes with his repartee. My wife does the same.

I like the quick, witty "one-liners" people introduce into what appears to be a quite serious conversation between several people in a group, turning it from being serious into hilarity. I also love "quirky" and "subtle" humour.

I think one's mood is very important in appreciating it. I suppose that's why some of the old Music Hall and live TV shows use the "warm up" technique. :)

Theres a fine line between having a sense of humour and being a foaming maniac. For example, I quite like to see people puking at some of the things I do, and theres nothing that I find more amusing than slipping a laxative into someones drink or food.

Its cruel, its childish, its possibly illegal but I cant help it, I love making people lose control of their bodily functions.

Theres a fine line between having a sense of humour and being a foaming maniac. For example, I quite like to see people puking at some of the things I do, and theres nothing that I find more amusing than slipping a laxative into someones drink or food.

Its cruel, its childish, its possibly illegal but I cant help it, I love making people lose control of their bodily functions.

You little Sh*t ! :hihi: :hihi:

You little Sh*t ! :hihi: :hihi:

I masy be a little one but my victims have HUGE ones :D

I masy be a little one but my victims have HUGE ones :D

Back on form I see !! :D

I was never off form! All the fiction I was attempting to write drained me...

Im a fragile flower, I am.

I was never off form! All the fiction I was attempting to write drained me...

Im a fragile flower, I am.

Drained you ? Who do you think you are William Shakespeare ? :hihi:

Drained you ? Who do you think you are William Shakespeare ? :hihi:

That Hack! That scribbler of penny dreadfulls?! that, that... imposter!

I wrote Hamlet not him! He stole it from me after overdosing me with coffee, and while i was swinging from a tree singing various tunes from the sound of music he had it away with my portfolio!

I find that I'm into visual humour more than I am into written words. Even if a descriptive piece that can make me imagine the scenario will make me laugh. Maybe it's because I don't like to misjudge or mis-time my jokes with others who are not on the same wavelength as me, hence I don't do written jokes that often. I used to be quirky, until someone said I was 'crazy'. :( Never did quirky again.

I also love truely classic one-liners that are not done deliberately. That kind of natural irony is really hard to find sometimes. Or maybe they are true artists. I came across one the other day.

Setting the scene.

I was at a wedding, and it was also the birthday of the bride's brother. He was something like 60 or 70 judging by his grey hairs. The cake was brought to the table, and he leaned in to blow the candles. Everybody singing 'Happy Birthday'.

"Pooooth"

"That was the best blow job I've had."

:D