What digital cameras are good

I was going to suggest a Canon Powershot 620 - 7.1mp. I paid about €180 online about 6 months ago (shop price is still around €220). I've just looked at the price in England and the cheapest I can see is priced at 214 POUNDS on an online shop and 280 in Argos! Talk about rip off!

One for £158 here

http://bnsservices.com/shop/canon-powershot-a620-silver-digital-camera-p-42.html?currency=GBP

I have bought a few digital cameras only to find out that they have poor picture quality.

I have had a 4mp camera before and i found that the quality was not very good.

Thats because it wasnt a true 4mp CCD. It was interpolated.

I am looking to get between a 6mp and a 10mp camera.

I have seen some 10mp vivitar digital cameras in argos that are not bad.

Yes they are. Again, they wont be true 10mp CCDs. The lens and optics will also be crap.

I am not looking to pay more than £100-£150.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

You get what you pay for. Buy a 10mp camera for £100, it will be crap. Spend £200 on a 4-5mp camera, it wont. Have a look at the Sony Cybershot DSC W30. Can be found for around 150 quid, then you need a memory card, which will probably take it to around the 200 mark. But its leagues ahead of the 100 quid vivitar crap from Argos.

I have a 3.2 Mp olympus C310 zoom which is 2 years old so a bit dated and was on offer at £98.

The A4 prints I get are really good.

A high megapixel count is not the only thing you should take into account.

Quality of lens, optical(NOT digital) zoom, build quality, ease of use etc are all imortant.

Yes - also got to stress that digital zoom is pointless.

I have a Fuji S7000 - it's an excellent SLR (Single Lens Reflex)

I have bought a few digital cameras only to find out that they have poor picture quality.

I have had a 4mp camera before and i found that the quality was not very good.

I am looking to get between a 6mp and a 10mp camera.

I have seen some 10mp vivitar digital cameras in argos that are not bad.

I am not looking to pay more than £100-£150.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Incidentally, I've seen some pretty reasonable can't-be-knocked Limux (Panasonic) cameras - eBay job... ...£150/175??

Seriously I have a nikon coolpix 4.0mp and these are amazing for the money got mine from ebuyer cost me about £100.00

I've just noticed on the for sale thread someone is selling a Canon EOS300 . They say they want £80 for it. Snatch their hand off, honestly this is a great price for a great camera. No I'm not a friend of the seller, I just recognise a bargain when I see one

Dave..

I've just noticed on the for sale thread someone is selling a Canon EOS300 . They say they want £80 for it. Snatch their hand off, honestly this is a great price for a great camera. No I'm not a friend of the seller, I just recognise a bargain when I see one

Dave..

This is not a digital camera.

I agree with some of the above posts.

Stick with the names Canon,Nikon,Olympus, etc.

Digital zoom forget it,

AA batteries save a lot of hassle,recharge or buy almost anywhere in the world.

Go to Currys and handle a few see what you like,then find one cheaper on th'internet or make them offer!(it works sometmes).

Do some research,make your mind up then enjoy your new camera.

PS keep checking Dixon's they sometime have excellent deals on out of production cameras,with full warranty and everything.

You get what you pay for. Buy a 10mp camera for £100, it will be crap. Spend £200 on a 4-5mp camera, it wont.

I was just about to write exactly the same thing...

For the budget of 150, I would say, go for a 2nd hand one off Ebay too. A lot of guys buy and sell their digital cameras as they come and go in the market place. So you will be able to pick up a bargain still. Some decent models are not produced by the manufacturer's any more. So the only place to get them is from 2nd-hand shops. Still does the job.

I agree with the point about going for branded names: Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Fuji, Nikon all are decent camera brands. I would go for these brands.

Btw, have a look on here. This company is based in Guernsey, and has lower prices than the UK. Not sure if this has something to do with the VAT ... Anyway, it's sold that way. So, worth a browse.

http://www.7dayshop.com/

Just had a scan, they used to have more brands, but it seems they don't sell Canons any more. Weird.

The panasonic lumix range is very good - a good mix between small camera and an SLR.