Does anyone have A Sprocker Spaniel?

na then seadog i have a designer dog shes a cross shes deffo designer lol, shes a staffy cross mastiff or howeva u spell it, what would you call her pedigree name lol,weird name that would be and she cost me a heck of a lot, all of 50 pounds and the designer dogs even come from the pound, there great lol pmsl sorry i just think its hillarious how some people can cross them and call them a pedigree its hillarious

na then seadog i have a designer dog shes a cross shes deffo designer lol, shes a staffy cross mastiff or howeva u spell it, what would you call her pedigree name lol,weird name that would be and she cost me a heck of a lot, all of 50 pounds and the designer dogs even come from the pound, there great lol pmsl sorry i just think its hillarious how some people can cross them and call them a pedigree its hillarious

a "Stiff" ? ;):wow: (or would that be a "Maffy?" hehehe)

They are called sprockers by breeders to get more money from people for what is essentially just a cross breed. I have 2 cross breeds before anyone starts, but I nor anyone else choses to create a new name for them. There's no need. Yes all dogs were originally crosses but crosses created with a purpose. That's how we ended up with the reccoginsed breeds we have today? Why invent more without a purpose? 'Sprockers' were crossed by the gaming comunity to get the best from both breeds for working not for someone to sell at over the odds prices to home environments. 'Labradoodles' were created aid dogs for people with allergies. It has been proven that the non shedding coat isn't a %100 certanty so many don't make the grade and as such money is being wasted on training dogs that are no good for the purpose they were bred for.

Don't even get me started on these Klee Kai or the 'rare' 'chorkies', 'lhasapoos' or the stupid 'Jackabees'!

They are called designer as they are currently the 'in' trend with people at the minute. It's cool to have a cross with a funny name. It's not just people with pedigree dogs who call them designer but people with crosses themselves. If people were just giving their cross the name as a joke there would be no problem but it's breeders throwing 2 dogs together and giving it a mixed name to get more money out of people. The trend has got so stupid that crosses are now costing more than pedigrees. Makes no difference to me as I'll always rescue my dogs, but I suppose that way I win too as I've got a 'designer breed for about £300 less than from a breeder.

Yes I have named my car by the way. He's called 'Paddy' as I have a dog guard in the back and looks like a 'paddy wagon'. Got a problem with that?

The designer dog threads have been done to death in the past. Search it, you'll see. The main problem people have is the fact people are sticking breeds together that shouldn't be put together and selling them for stupid money. But hey if you have more money than sense feel free. Don't come crying if you can't cope or the worste of the 2 breeds come out instead of the best. Crosses are considered healthier than pedigree but not always. 50/50 chance when you cross 2 dogs. Will it get the best of both? Will it get the worst of both? Will it get the best of one and the worst of the other?

:lol: thanks for that, you've emphasised my point exactly :lol:

The main problem people seem to have about 'designer' dogs is the price they fetch, this intrigues me, as anything on the open market will only reach the price the market is willing to pay for it, so there is obviously a demand out there. Is this demand only frowned upon because it isn't regulated by the Kennel Club business?

Also, as people have a problem with the hundreds of pounds spent on these dogs, I find this odd, because whenever someone comes on asking for a free dog, they get slated, because they 'obviously can't afford to look after it' - so if someone obviously has the means to look after their choice of dog, thats a good thing right?

I still can't really see how it is of anyone elses concern how they spend their money or what type of pet they choose to have, as long as that pet is well looked after.

Edited by beansforyou
thought of another question regarding cross breeds

I feel bad after saying that about the little fella!! Here's my alfie..

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/princessl83/100_0113.jpg

Aww - he's gorgeous. It doesn't matter what breed a dog is - they are all loveable and mean the world to all us animal lovers. Good on ya btw for rescuing him from a dingy hole - he looks well happy now :D

:lol: thanks for that, you've emphasised my point exactly :lol:

The main problem people seem to have about 'designer' dogs is the price they fetch, this intrigues me, as anything on the open market will only reach the price the market is willing to pay for it, so there is obviously a demand out there. Is this demand only frowned upon because it isn't regulated by the Kennel Club business?

Also, as people have a problem with the hundreds of pounds spent on these dogs, I find this odd, because whenever someone comes on asking for a free dog, they get slated, because they 'obviously can't afford to look after it' - so if someone obviously has the means to look after their choice of dog, thats a good thing right?

I still can't really see how it is of anyone elses concern how they spend their money or what type of pet they choose to have, as long as that pet is well looked after.

Nowhere did I emphasise your point. I am not the one who keeps bringing the kennel club into this. I've never owned a pedigree, one day I may but with the current state of the KC standards I wouldn't entertain the idea at the minute. That said at least the pedigrees have some level of regulation. What do these 'designer' breeds have? Joe blogs and his mate throwing 2 dogs together and claiming they're a new rare breed? Wonderful! :loopy:

As I said in my other post 'designer' dogs are the in trend at the minute so therefor the price will go up. Staffies were the last in breed and look at the state they are in now due to people treating them like last years mobile phone. Out with the old in with the new.

Asking for a 'free' dog, to me, is just damn cheeky. Nothing in life is free so why assume that they can get a life for nothing? Fair enough if someone is advertising a dog free to good home, but don't ask for one. The big problem I have with people asking for one is they expect it to be free, a specific breed and perfect. Not gonna happen.

As I said earlier (wondering if you actually read my post or just the first line) if it was people giving their dog a name for fun it wouldn't be so bad but it's breeders of these crosses that put 2 together and make a name up to put a higher price tag on them.

Here's a stupid cross for you. See if you can guess the breeds. 'CHIWEENIE'

The whole subject of sprockers is particularly interested as back when breeds were created for a purpose a Cocker spaniel was crossed with Springer to create a "field spaniel". This is a kennel club recognised breed. Why buy a sprocker when theres a kennel club version and id imagine they fetch a similar price.

I know alot of people dont care about having a KC registered dog but I just wonder why breeders have gone to effort of creating a designer breed that already exsists!!!

Where do the names come from? Shouldnt it be the first half of the male dogs breed and the second half of the females.

So all you people out there who think they have a cockerpoo actually have a cocker-doodle or a pod-ocker. If your creating names at least do it correctly. But as "cockerdoodle" creates the image of a poultry I don’t imagine you'll be using this name any time soon. Which just shows how image orientated the designer breed market is

I am suprised at how agressive some of you on this forum are about 'designer dogs' as you call them. Surely we are all dog lovers??

I got a sprocker because it was cheaper than a Springer and I wanted a cross because he (hopefully) wouldn't have as many health problems as a pedigree dog. As it happens, he has already had his fair share of health problems and probably has the worse traits from both breeds but that's life. We still love him. Most people would have sent our guy off to a dogs home long ago because he is difficult but surely as long as a dog is given a good home and gets what he needs who cares what breed it is?

Lord Stanley: Im sure we all love dogs and im happy to see selective cross breeding if its done with a purpose. For example labradoodles were breed to help blind people with allergys. But often the breeds are crossed for less ethical reasons. I dont have a problem with the owners but I dont think we should be encouraging breeders to mindlessly experiment with mixing breeds. What happens to the dogs that dont turn out quite so cute?

I have a sprocker , 5 months old , saw mum and dad and papers for mum and dad. We were origionally going to get a cocker but came across theese people. His names finley and absoloutly gorgeous Sprockers do exsist but they are just a cross breed ...so in effect just a mut...but so are cockapoo's !! Finly has the stockyness of the cocker but the ears or a springer. His dad was an english springer mum a brown and black cocker. Finley is predominantly white with three large black spots on his back and tiny black and brown speckles all over his head is mainly black and he has brown eyebrows and a white and brown muzzle... by that he sounds a mess but hes a handsome little fella. Was fascinating seeing the litter some had mainly cocker characteristics and others spring but it was really obvious !! I wouldnt be able to say i could spot a fully grown sprocker as most of them do take on either springer or cocker as they grow older they tend to just look like a bigger cocker or a smaller springer...Finley at the moment is obvious hes not either...people have mentioned as his ears are really long.. I wouldnt suggest anyone takes anyones word for what their dog is theirs some sneaky people out there and they know what name to plonk on a dog to get more money. Finley has all the typical spaniel traits..training him has been quite hard though we had him house trained within a week and a half and walking off lead from 14 weeks. They are stubborn dogs though and he will tend to switch off if he gets some sniffs ..its all in the practice though !

And as for price mine was the same as a cheaper priced Springer or Cocker.... also our breeder bred them because she knew lots of people who wanted spaniels some bigger then a king charles and bigger then a cocker but not as big and energetic as a springer. not that money has got anything to do with me choosing my dog but KC registered are ALWAYS more expensive ....after doing 3 years of research into what dog we should get. ...even then we didnt get the cocker we were going too.... and may i remind people King charles spaniels have been bred to enhance their looks so much so their brains are to big for their skulls...now that is cruel.

...and before anyone jumps down my throat we did go to battersea ...in old windsor ... i live in windsor not sheffield lol but they were ALL...and no joke staffies that didnt have very good backgrounds or no background history, we have two cats and didnt want to take the risk . We are training finley to be registered to go into schools and nuserys aslo and staffys arnt allowed to gain theese certificates because of their tempraments