Does anyone have A Sprocker Spaniel?

There's a lot of difference between the working variety of English Springers and the *show* variety (for a fuller discussion see Wiki)...and the whole working spaniel history in this country has been the mixing and matching of various spaniel types to produce a dog that fits the particular needs of the shooting, wildfowling requirements of the time. In fact at one time, Springers and Cockers came from the same litter...the bigger dogs were called Springers and the smaller Cockers! KC registration has been pretty patchy in the past and somewhat skewed towards treating spaniels as decorative objects rather than an efficient working companion and shouldnt be taken as the final arbiter as to what you can or can't do with the breeds.

In time Springers and Cockers were bred with different aims in mind and of course it follows that the so called Sprocker, well trained, can be a useful dog both for working and as a general companion. As a matter of interest, like Springers, they somewhat resemble the English Water Spaniel, which is now extinct as a recognised breed, but which was popular in the 18th and 19th Century.

Spaniels varieties are never going to set in stone, nor should they and in my humble opinion mixing and matching will continue to give us attractive good working dogs. I doubt you will ever lose Springers or Cockers as a variety but I hope that the *Sprocker* will get itself a decent name and recognition for the good working companions they can be :-)

Edited by Tonideale
Updating

We have a Sprocker Spaniel called Rolly he's about 3 and he has black markings, a springer shaped head, cocker length ears. He is about the same size as an ESP in the body but his legs are a little shorter.

He's very affectionate pet although he has a LOT of energy.

I started training him up as a gun dog not to work him but to make obedience training more fun for us both. He's a natural learner and a faithful, loyal family pet.

If anyone is thinking of buying one as a pet, make sure you have a lot of patience and a lot of time for exercising your pet. Rolly can walk all day and not bat an eyelid.

As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, mental stimulation is as important as physical exercise for any working spaniel breed.

Also, because he has big long hairy ears, wax tends to build up inside so Rolly has to have his ears cleaned out every now and again.

I can't really comment on the breed in general because Rolly is the only Sprocker I have come across but if he is a typical example of the breed, I can honestly say I personally wouldn't want any other breed of dog.

And just to say, Rolly is not a designer dog, We bought him because we wanted a Spaniel, went to see this litter, mother had a nice temprament and He was the runt of the litter. (Plus he was born on my little girls birthday which did sway us a little).

If anyone can tell me how to post pictures, I'll put some up of him.

Hi yea i have a SPROCKER a beautiful little girl called Daisy, her mum was a liver and white springer and dad a black cocker, Daisy is mainly white with black patches, she is a delight to own, i also have a liver and white spinger called Rosie who again is a gorgous little girl, i must admit as much as i love springers and Rosie is my second one, i lost a liver and white little girl back in 2007 aged 6 Poppy was such a character but sad to say she at some time had swallowed a stone when the vet operated a second time Poppys bile duct had split and there was nothing more that could be done for her, we were devastated but had a baby Daisy to help heal our heartache, she was about 6 months old then, we couldnt make our minds up whether to have another springer or not, we decided to wait and about a year later we were asked if we wanted Rosie as her owner didnt want her anymore, Rosie came to live with us xmas 2008 and has made herself a huge part of our family, BUT if i could have another dog it would have to be another SPROCKER and i think SPROCKER sounds a lot nicer than springer x cocker

Hi

Yes we have a Sprocker Spaniel called Marlow and he is adorable.

hi there my name is julie and i have a 10 month old sprocker spaniel and we live in london.Her name is lucy and she is mad as a hatter but i love her to bits. I would put a photo of her on here but do not know how to

Because those who want to put down other peoples choices find using such terms as 'designer' helpful in making them feel superior.

Using the term 'designer' in this case implies the owner of said dog has more money than sense, or was somehow misled when purchasing their dog.

What tends to actually be the case is that those who buy mixed breed dogs are fully aware of what they are getting, because they have read up about both breeds beforehand. They aren't just blindly following what the Kennel Club tells them (whilst taking their money off them).

Giving an animal a name is no more designer wether it belongs to the KC or not, so I don't really understand why people find a dog called a sprocker any more amusing than say a Chow Chow or a Shih Tzu - go figure, maybe it's because they know underneath their KC reg expensive dog is in and out of the vets all the time with it's breed specific health issues, whilst many crossbreeds are much healthier.

Bitterness takes many forms, none of them very pretty.

If some people choose to give their pets 'mix' a name, so what, don't some people name their cars? their willies? :lol:

Here here well said

We have a 3yr old Sprocker (springer x cocker) called Alfie. We have had him for 2 years now but never come across any other owners in that time? We didn't know that they were so rar especially given that his temprement makes him such a perfect pet.

So does anybody else own a sprocker? :)

hi we have 2 sprocker spaniels they 6 months old pure black

We have a 3yr old Sprocker (springer x cocker) called Alfie. We have had him for 2 years now but never come across any other owners in that time? We didn't know that they were so rar especially given that his temprement makes him such a perfect pet.

So does anybody else own a sprocker? :)

We have a sprocker 16 weeks fussy but good x

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 17:14 ----------

We have a sprocker , 16 weeks fussy but good x