Does anyone have A Sprocker Spaniel?

That would be the springer in him sometimes they are nutters but ive been lucky....

Yeah my mate has a sprocker spaniel called Barney and hes absolutely gorgeous!

I just wanted to add some information regarding sprocker spaniels. I have a female sprocker, it is a 'real' breed, springer spaniel cross cocker spaniel, they are not all 'mad' and are beautiful loving dogs. Ive read so many negative comments on different forums about sprockers and if I didnt have first hand experience of owning one it would certainly put me off! As with all breeds (pedigree & cross) you can get dogs with health problems, behavoural problems etc but I havent encountered any with my lovely sprocker!! Shes beautiful, clever, fantastic with children and a real joy to have in our family. Anyone thinking of getting a sprocker PLEASE dont be put off by negative comments, find out for yourselves!:D

I have a sprocker............its a springer cross cocker spaniel!! They are real!!!

and was it produced from two dogs of the same breed or is it actually just a cross breed (is the point that was being made)?

I just wanted to add some information regarding sprocker spaniels. I have a female sprocker, it is a 'real' breed, springer spaniel cross cocker spaniel, they are not all 'mad' and are beautiful loving dogs. Ive read so many negative comments on different forums about sprockers and if I didnt have first hand experience of owning one it would certainly put me off! As with all breeds (pedigree & cross) you can get dogs with health problems, behavoural problems etc but I havent encountered any with my lovely sprocker!! Shes beautiful, clever, fantastic with children and a real joy to have in our family. Anyone thinking of getting a sprocker PLEASE dont be put off by negative comments, find out for yourselves!:D

you man "it's a real dog", despite being a "first-cross"?

Shes not 'just a crossbreed' as you put it. I really dont think it matters, too much emphasis is put on having a pedigree! My sprockers mother is a pedigree springer spaniel and her father is a working cocker spaniel. They werent bred to 'make a breed' and make money as you cant sell 'crossbreeds' for lots of cash. I have a gorgeous bitch with the markings of a springer but the size of a cocker and shes an adorable family pet.....just making a point :hihi:

don't take the comments on this thread the wrong way Rogue - there are a number of us here who work in rescue, so see first hand the current 'issues' in dog breeding

one major issue is dogs being bred with no regard to their health or the conditions they are kept in, for a fast buck

pedigrees are suffering from this in a big way

crossbreeds are now being 'marketed' as 'designer dogs' - and your post just proves it's working :(

have you heard of puppy farming?

well the majority of these 'designer dogs' (or cross breeds, or mongrels as we used to call them) are churned out by the puppy farms

it isn't a snobbery thing, it's about keeping this fashion from getting out of control - however difficult that may be :(

Im not taking the points the wrong way.........I read on an earlier post that you wrote stating that sprockers dont exist? The point I am making is that I bought my dog from a breeder that has his dogs as family pets, he doesnt have a puppy farm to make fast bucks (or money) His springer and cocker spaniel got together and my sprocker was the outcome. I didnt pay a lot of money for her, shes not a designer dog so not all breeders are in it to make money. Whether shes classed as a crossbreed a mongrel or whatever, she wasnt 'churned out' she was kept indoors as part of the family before coming to join our family. Not all breeders are bad....:|

The point was that 'sprocker' as a breed doesn't exist, but I'm sure there are plenty of perfectly lovely springer/cocker crossbreeds.

They will do eventually, my friend trains gundogs and sprockers are being talked about more and more...Im happy with my sprocker, crossbreed, mongrel, whatever shes known as she doesnt need a designer name :hihi:

Shes not 'just a crossbreed' as you put it. I really dont think it matters, too much emphasis is put on having a pedigree! My sprockers mother is a pedigree springer spaniel and her father is a working cocker spaniel. They werent bred to 'make a breed' and make money as you cant sell 'crossbreeds' for lots of cash. I have a gorgeous bitch with the markings of a springer but the size of a cocker and shes an adorable family pet.....just making a point :hihi:

I'm sure she's gorgeous, I have pals with both springers and cockers, and yup, they really are adorable. (although, got to say, I'm a big fan of terriers myself)

you said "you cant sell 'crossbreeds' for lots of cash." but, I saw, in the Sheffield Star a few weeks ago, that someone was offering Westie-crosses for the obscene amount of £350. Now afaik, pedigree Westies only go for between £300 and £500, so asking "pedigree" prices for a "crossbreed" is ridiculous (and taking the mickey).