Advice on fitting LCD tv to wall please.

I've just bought a 40" LCD tv, which I intend fitting to the wall myself, as I'm trying to save some money, is there anything I need to know & where can i get a wall bracket from in Sheffield at short notice, please.

I would appreciate some advice...... thanks. :huh:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99093&criteria=tv%20bracket&doy=28m10

Bit pricey though, I think Maplins are open on Sunday.

Price isn't that bad.

The main thing to remember is that you don't save any money if it falls down.

Make sure the wall is brick or breeze.

Use very strong long nylon plugs and heavy screws.

I like to over engineer and use 10/60 coach bolts and a nylon sleeve.

May be a bit over the top but it saves swearing in front of the kids when the TV falls down.

What are you doing with the wires ?

You have mains, a TV coax and an A/V lead of some sort.

Best way is to chase out the walls and put sockets behind the bracket.

NOTE - A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN MUST DO THE MAINS WORK.

Thanks guys... Maplins!!!... yes! never thought ov them & I am worrying about the wires leading to the dvd ect, as I've just decorated I don't really want to channel the wall out just yet, but maybe use trunking?

I am a bit of a "DIY" merchant & never thought of the mains plug behind the set, but I'm looking for a temp' solution for now, also its going to be put on the chimney breast above the gas fire, do you think that would be ok?, as I think it's only single brick thickness.

Thanx for yor valued help guys.

Won't the heat effect the TV if you put it above it?

*has visions of melty emmerdale*

NOTE - A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN MUST DO THE MAINS WORK.

I would recommend this advice if you are in any way unsure about electrics.

There is, however, no regulatory requirement that such work (taking an extension from a supply in a living room) needs qualifications.

There is, however, no regulatory requirement that such work (taking an extension from a supply in a living room) needs qualifications.

What do you mean by 'taking an extension'? A pre made cable plugged into a socket? Or a spur?

Anyone can do electrical wiring. The thing is, if you change something, it has to be inspected by a 'part P' qualified electrician. By law, that is.

Won't the heat effect the TV if you put it above it?

*has visions of melty emmerdale*

I dont think it will really, as I dont have the gas fire on usually & surely the LCD should withstand some heat, I'll soon know if it starts dripping plastic when I've got mi fav Emmerdale on.

I'm pretty competant when it comes to the electrics, it's just that I've had mi orders not to spoil the present decor, but eventually I'll have to brace mi self & dig out the wall I suppose.

Thanks a million to one & all for yor advice.

Not a good idea to fix it above a gas fire, - apart from the obvious danger of overheating, you'll get strong convection currents in the air in front of the screen distorting how you see the picture.

Not a good idea to fix it above a gas fire, - apart from the obvious danger of overheating, you'll get strong convection currents in the air in front of the screen distorting how you see the picture.

Oh dear!!! Somethings got to go, gas fire or brand new sh*t hot telly?????

Yes!! the gas fires eventually going, as I have c/heating anyway, I can put all the other bits & pieces underneath in a cabinet, then i'll have more space. Thanks for that advice.

I'll have to brace mi self for big a shindig with mi family..... Lolz.