Sheffield lap-dancing club

Whilst I respect Babooshkas' opinion, and certainly admire her for exercising her right to speak out on this subject, I would like to look at this from a different aspect.

While I have never had a desire to visit a lap dancing club and pay extortionate amounts of money for a few minutes of cheap titivation, I think that it is far better to have legal, professional venues, such as S/Mint Rhinos or Dancing Dollar, that are properly licensed and regulated, rather than drive it underground where the employees would be manipulated and younger people could be corrupted by unscrupulous club owners.

For the same reasons it is about time that brothels were legalised and then women who decide (of the their own free will) to prostitute themselves can do so in the safety and security of the company of others and real progress can be made in eradicating street prostitution that is so prevalent in most major conurbations.

t020...do you not think calling a lap-dancer a slapper is an insult? This is the kind of attitude I am talking about. Slavery was a supply and demand industry but you don't hear many people arguing to keep that. Deny two parties what they want? To deny is to take away...I am merely stating an opinion to which I am entitled. You sound angry because I am standing up for something in which I believe? ie an non-exploitative industry. I also notice you are quick to report insult when you have, indeed, been banned from certain areas of this forum yourself. I thought you would have been made of stronger stuff.

Originally posted by Babooshka

This is the kind of attitude I am talking about. Slavery was a supply and demand industry but you don't hear many people arguing to keep that. .

Slavery is illegal, lap dancing isn't.

And slavery is an enforced situation, lap dancing is strictly voluntary.

No lap dancers = no pervs watching them.

Originally posted by markham

And slavery is an enforced situation, lap dancing is strictly voluntary.

Yes, lap dancers choose to be lap dancers. Babooshkas attitude is patronising towards lap dancers as she is acting as though she knows better than they do and knows whats best for them. It is up to them what they do for money (within legal boundaries), not feminist idealists.

Guest rosie

I used to live in Germany, and it is all legalised over there, they monitor all dancers and women from brothels etc.

They all look tidy and have to be clean to earn their certificate, but they do it because they want to.

You choose not to like it ok thats fine by me but I choose not to worry myself about it, because it does not threaten my sexuality or me.

Originally posted by Babooshka

As for women going to see male strippers. PLEASE! I can think of nothing I would rather do LESS! I wouldn't even want to be part of the screaming crowd of forty somethings that may frequent such an event.

Can you not see the irony in your argument here? As t020 says, it's supply and demand. As long as there is demand for male strippers, male strippers will exist. It just so happens that there's more demand for female strippers.

Babooshka '.........' You do seem rather het up about all this.

Mod - Edited for poor taste comment

Hi

being a male entertainer myself,why cant sheffield have a lap dancing club as any other city,i have never myself been to dancing dollar or spearmint rhino,but what i have heard of them i am sure they provide a first class entertainment for reasonable prices and what i say is good luck to them,the female dancers deserve their money and no one forces any customers to their doors,they just choose out of their own free will to go there.

belarion(male stripper)

Sheffield Hallam can’t afford a night bus for it’s students like Sheffield University. But to make sure their is a safe place for female students especially to get a taxi home at night the university is going to build a taxi rank right outside the new union building. Equidistant from the Sheffield sanctuary from sexual harassment..............Spearmint Rhino.

Still from what i hear it’s probably not going to be open much longer.

Theres nothing wrong lap daning clubs there should be more

ive always wanted to go 2 one

but never had the chance :-(

Graham, you are joking. I really hope so. Rape is predominantly about power. Not about the need to get sexual 'relief'. For men who are not predisposed to rape or sexual assaults there is a much easier way of getting 'sexual relief'. I'm sure someone will explain this to you if you ask.

Why are you scaremongering? Women have nothing to fear from lap-dancing clubs. They especially do not have to fear rape or sexual assaults.

If you have any statistics from a recognised and reputable sourse - for example the Bureau of Justice Statistics and Crime and Victims Statistics - I would be more than happy to read them and apologise to you if you can prove that lap-dancing clubs have a direct correlation to higher rates of sexual assaults

And, Graham, how does this fit in with the statistic that 60 % of rape victims know their attacker.

I would be interested to hear your response.

Originally posted by Graham

I think Spearmint Rhino will bring down the tone of Sheffield. At chucking out time we will have lots of sexually frustrated men leaving the area looking for relief. Women are right to fear an increase in sexual assaults. Other towns like Blackpool have succeeded in preventing Spearmint Rhino from opening. The protest on Saturday from 7pm outside the new club in Brown Street will be the first stage of preventing them succeeding in Sheffield.

Graham