Would you consider buying a house without any car access?

Hello,

Could you please help us and answer (honestly!) on the following simple question:

We seems found a nice house (cottage style) but the main problem is that there is no any driveway or actually not even any way for car to reach the house. It’s surrounded by terraced houses from 2 sides and there are two hills from two other sides so to go to the house you need to go through terraced houses and walk a bit up (I think 20 meters). There are a lot of parking spaces near terraced houses but this means that one will not be able to see a car parked on the other side of terraced houses (you can see only terraced houses from the house). Personally for us it is not a problem at all but I am just a bit worried that when we will decide to sell the house, nobody will want even to consider buying a house without access for a car!!! It will be (if) our first purchase so I am sorry if it sounds stupid, but we are worried a lot about this issue!

Thanks!!!

Hello,

Could you please help us and answer (honestly!) on the following simple question:

We seems found a nice house (cottage style) but the main problem is that there is no any driveway or actually not even any way for car to reach the house. It’s surrounded by terraced houses from 2 sides and there are two hills from two other sides so to go to the house you need to go through terraced houses and walk a bit up (I think 20 meters). There are a lot of parking spaces near terraced houses but this means that one will not be able to see a car parked on the other side of terraced houses (you can see only terraced houses from the house). Personally for us it is not a problem at all but I am just a bit worried that when we will decide to sell the house, nobody will want even to consider buying a house without access for a car!!! It will be (if) our first purchase so I am sorry if it sounds stupid, but we are worried a lot about this issue!

Thanks!!!

I would if the house was sufficiently nice to justify putting up with the problem.

COnsider lugging shopping in every week, getting furniture in & out (removal blokes might charge more).

You should be able to negotiate a good price as demand will be restricted. Is there no chance of obtaining access rights over some part of the surrounding land?

Yes, I can't drive, and surprisingly some other people can't too.

i can drive but as i live in a terraced house in an area full of terraced houses, i have had to get used to parking nowhere near my house, usually out of sight. it's annoying, but didn't put me off buying it. depends slightly on what sort of house it is though - we're just buying a bigger house because we now have a baby. our criteria did include having a driveway, if not a garage. car access is much more of a requirement for a family house than for a 2/3 bed terrace that would suit a couple.

be a pain in the arse for you when you move in though, if you do buy it.

i would check who owns/has the rights over the land you have to go over to get to your house, is it private land? Sometimes that can have problems if the owner decided to charge you to access throughways etc?!

Not having car access would put me off tbh

as long as you can park somewhere and the house is good enough then you'll be fine. i'm sure this unique feature may even appeal to some people

I bought a house in January and it sounds in a very similar situation to the one you've found. i've had no real problems with it. I spose the shopping bags aspect is a bit annoying but it is by far out weighed by the benefit of having no traffic passing by the house. It's so peaceful, you don't feel as if you're in the middle of a big city. a house on the same row has just sold recently as well so i wouldn't worry about it putting people off. :)

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Just let some other sucker take on the problem and struggle with it.