Motorbikes - Do you remember your first one?

My first baby was a honda mtx 125.

I passed my test on it and found it hard work to get my arse off the seat.

I loved riding that little bike.

One morning I awoke to find it had been pinched. Turns out the little git that took it was found with 3 other stolen bikes and had taken a hammer to mine to try to make it look old.

He got a warning from the coppers. Just to proove that the fuzz are a waste of space and a sound beating to compliment his freshly broken legs would have been far better justice.

The bike was rebuilt, stolen from the bike shop, recovered, finished, sold and finally stolen again from the new owner.

Fair chance it's rusting in a ditch somewhere now.

My first motorbike was a BSA C12 250cc must have been about 58 or 59 my dad bought it for me and I went allover on it and it's a long way to Torquay overnight with no motorways I can tell you. Then he bought me a brand new BSA 500 Shooting Star from Wrags on Wellington Street in town, that was exactly where the car park entrance to the Grovenor hotel is now.I felt like a king. Happy days eh. Still remember the Reg No's.

I had a yamaha FS1E (fizzy) in the late seventies. 60 mph on a 50 cc moped with pedals attached. Pure madness.

Yeah, FS1E = Fried sausage and one egg lol

A couple of my old mates had foreign stock mopeds which could do 70mph+

Crazy days.

Mine was a BSA Bantam 175cc, Model D14/4 (I think). bought for £30 off a guy on Wincobank and sold it for £65 to pay for an holiday in Spain. This was 33 years ago by the way.

B.S.A. Bantam 125. reg NHE 438 Maroon in colour, bought from Wraggs Shalesmoor in 1960/61.

1959-60 Honda C110 in 1969 419FWU had many many others since currently bombing around Wales on one of my three GT550 Kawasaki's.

Been motorcycling off and on for 37 yrs, I guess what started me off was listening to the noise of a "megaphoned" Lambretta climbing Stockingate every night when I was a kid.

Sad intit :)

Suzuki AP50, Reg No: RAK838R, bought from Bentleys on Abbeydale Road in 1978.

The first bike I ever owned was in 1956. It was a 1934 New Imperial with a 90-some cc two stroke engine in it. Because it was first registered before speedometers were required (I kid you not) it didn't have one. No fear of going too much over the limit on that thing though unless you were going downhill with a following wind. It also had a stickshift rather than a toe pedal for changing gears. There was no battery on it either so the lights only worked whilst the engine was running, they got dimmer or brighter as the engine speed changed. The horn was one of those bulb types that you had to squeeze. Good fun and I can smell the oil/petrol mix as I type.

Well well, or chuffinel as thay say. My first bike, in 1955 was a 1927 edition of that ilk. Equated to about 200cc. Gears on the tank and pump the oil round by hand, went nowhere in a hurry! Attracted lots of comment though - most of it derisory. You never did know how fast (or slow) you were going but most other traffic managed to edge past you.

BSA B25SS

Suzuki TS250ER

Kawasaki KH250

Suzuki GS550EN

Kawasaki Z750EL

Kawasaki GPZ900R...........

........then deposit for a house. :sad:

Suzuki AP50, Reg No: RAK838R, bought from Bentleys on Abbeydale Road in 1978.

I also had a suzuki AP50. reg no; MHL909P{RED}also from bentleys. top moped. five gears 1 up 4 down. far better than the yammy FS1E.:thumbsup:

my first bike was an ok supream jap engine

petrol 2shillings and three pence a gallon

had a few bikes after

brough superior

bsa m20

goldflash

yamaha 250 rdx

can remember the motor bike and side car you had ? what happened to the yamaha it was a tidy thing >>>. Toms lad >>Gary

My first bike was a Douglas T48 350cc twin.

I went all over the place on it as I was in the army at the time. I remember one night when it was snowing hard. It was on New Year's Eve or rather early New Year's Day 1953.

I had left home just after midnight after letting the New Year in and had set off back to camp in Wiltshire.

I went via the A1 for a time but first I had to go on the A57 over the toll bridge at Dunham. In those days the toll was tuppence for a car and a penny for a motor bike. It was snowing like the devil but as I crossed the bridge, I was stopped by a gnarled old individual demanding a penny! I asked how many had crossed that night since 6pm and he said I was the third. He had collected fivepence in tolls and he would be on until six am in the morning.

I later learned that there was a toll collector on duty 24 hours a day, 365 days a year!!!!!

I arrived back at camp around seven am; cold, wet and bloody tired!