Motorbikes - Do you remember your first one?

Originally posted by ADC_28

Surely this would remove the layer of oil which should coat the barrel?

Having said that, the flooding of the engine would cause the petrol to remove the oil anyway....

What do the old hands on the forum reckon?

Well, when you are trying to get to work in the dark on a cold winters morning, the last thing you would be intereted in was whether there was any oil on the side of the barrels :)

but seriously, we are only talking about drying the barrels, as soon as the engine fires , if it was a two stroke the barrels would be re-oiled. If a four stroke, its only the crank side of the barrles that are oiled anyway. The scraper ring keeps the oil out of the combustiion chamber. Unless the engines worn of course, thats when you get a smoky exhaust.

You also need to dry the plugs too, I just held a match under them to burn the fuel/oil off.

The starting problems were mainly with the 2 strokes like the bantam where oil is mixed with the fuel. In winter time the oil in the fuel makes it "heavier" and harder to ignite. Four strokes suffered less.

HI

my first road bike was a single pot side valve panther great side car bikes would pull a train sideways but when kick starting god help you if tried without using the valve lifter

I've had a full motorcycle licence for nearly half my life but some of this jargon you older boys are using is a complete mystery to me. It's like my uncle getting me back for the blank looks he gives me when I am showing him how to use and fix his computer.

Side valve?

panther? Norvin?

Originally posted by muddycoffee

I've had a full motorcycle licence for nearly half my life but some of this jargon you older boys are using is a complete mystery to me. It's like my uncle getting me back for the blank looks he gives me when I am showing him how to use and fix his computer.

Side valve?

panther? Norvin?

I'm not that old, but 'tis true, Panthers (made in Cleck-udders-fax somewhere) were/are a real pig to kick over, get it wrong and you *will* fly over the garden shed with one broken leg...

...and get another when you land.

:) Great fun :)

Originally posted by Alanbro

I had a Matchless 250, I bought it with me winnings on the draw at Spear and Jackson. I used to use it for work. I didn't go very far on it. There was a lot less traffic on the roads at that time. I don't know whether I'd want to risk it anymore, there are so many silly buggers on the road these days. I used to go to Castleton on it. When I met me wife I couldn't get her near it. She used to say "You'll not get me on one of those things!"

I suppose she had a point. I never passed me test on a motorbike, but I enjoyed the wind in my face even though it was short lived. Speaking about Spear and Jacksons, does anybody remember Workers Playtime. They put a big marquee up. I think that was in the bicentenary year 1960. We all got a big box of chocolates on a Sanen wood tray.

my wife got a tray like dark polished wood its still knocking about in house somewhere maiden name betty clark

I got my first bike at the ripe old age of 3 (i know this cos it had a massive no 3 on the front) I think it was a 18cc yamaha. then I got a suzuki GT50, then a mtx 125. I passed my test and got a GS500, onto a GSXF 750 and here I am with a 120bhp streetfighter 1200 Bandit.

Any one remember sony weston his place was just off broad st, his brother had a car scrap yard in the same block, what happened to him, (obviously in that bike scrap yard in the sky) but what happened to all the bikes and bits and of

coarse his "dogend" tin

Suzuki AP50

Suzuki TS100

Suzuki GT250

Kawasaki KH250

Honda XL250

Jawa 350 combo

BSA C15

Kawasaki 200

Honda CD175

Honda VF400

Current bike is an old (1984) Kawasaki GPz750. Oh it's for sale if you want to PM me - spent too much on it, but bikes are like that aren't they.

The first bike I ever owned was in 1956. It was a 1934 New Imperial with a 90-some cc two stroke engine in it. Because it was first registered before speedometers were required (I kid you not) it didn't have one. No fear of going too much over the limit on that thing though unless you were going downhill with a following wind. It also had a stickshift rather than a toe pedal for changing gears. There was no battery on it either so the lights only worked whilst the engine was running, they got dimmer or brighter as the engine speed changed. The horn was one of those bulb types that you had to squeeze. Good fun and I can smell the oil/petrol mix as I type.

My first was a BSA Bantam an ex GPO Telegram lads bike.

It was a 2 stroke and there was a brass tube on the inside of the petrol cap. You filled up with petrol and then a measure of 2stroke oil using the brass tube was put into the same tank. You then had to shake the bike from side to side to mix it. happy days.:D:loopy:

My current is a 1995 Harley Davidson 1340 Softail Custom.:clap:

my first bike about 1965/66 A Kerry Capitano 47.7cc or there abouts an italian bike not moped it had 3 gears operated by a twist grip on the handle bars

then a francis barnet

then a bsa bantam

yep brings back memories weekend runs to the coast etc