Motorbikes - Do you remember your first one?

God so many bikes so long ago I think my first legal road bike was a Honda AP50 managed to blow two engines before I got rid of it.:clap::clap:

way back in 1961 my cousin married eric,he had an ajs 500,they got a cottage out near dunham bridge and on school holidays eric would come over and pick me up to spend a week with them, at my moms funeral 7 years ago we were chatting about the old days and he told me he still has the bike, runs it round the village every sunday,.its got to be over 50 years old as it was second hand when he bought it, thats when bikes were bikes

My first bike , back in 1989 was a Yamaha DT100. I bought it from a friend of a friend for £150, it used to stop in the rain because the non standard front mudguard didn't stop the front wheel spraying water on the spark plug.!

After I had a Honda CG125, Honda CB250N, Suzuki GSX250, Gpz600R.

Due to some reminiscences a year or 2 ago you can see pics of them on this little web site ->

http://www.rocknroll.f9.co.uk/motor/motorcy5.htm

thinking of getting a 600 fazer or cagiva 650 next year

I don't really like the modern bikes they seem to be mostly 'nice and plastic', the older bikes were so much better looking. Loved the Norton commando but not when the kick start kicked back and hit the back of your calf. My favorite though would be a panther, no ground clearance but such a nice noise and it didn't matter whether you were going up hill down hill or on the flat it had the same noise, distinctive I think you'd call it.

Remember when you could tell what kind of bike was going to come into view just by the sound it made? I doubt that's possible with most of today's bikes

Tony

Guest costessey

After graduating from Lambrettas and Vespas, swopped sides and got a Moto Morini 3 1/2 sport..... beautiful looking bike, but slow and unreliable!!

I just sold my 1960 Vespa GS150 last year.

Wonderful machine it was.

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

I don't really like the modern bikes they seem to be mostly 'nice and plastic', the older bikes were so much better looking.

Many modern bikers agree Wallbuilder. They do sell lots of so called "Retro" style bikes and many bikes come in 3 different forms of undress so that you can see the naked engine.

Most bike showrooms are filled with whizzy looking race replicas. And there are many bike magazines, reflecting popular sentiment, the complaint that there's not enough choice.

my first bike was a puch 50 moped canary yellow with chrome tank passed me test on that then a suzki 250 ram air system good for 100 mph my 3rd bike was a suzki 750 water cooled had a nasty accident on it and finished up in hallamshire hosi for 5 weeks 1 of em in a coma broken leg collar bone head injuries e.t.c went tro a farmers 5 bar gate near fox house at about 60 mph so that was the end of my wild days as a biker loved it tho in summer still got the bug to this day for bikes but i will stay in my tin box on wheels for now all the best steve

my first bike was a pink moped with lilac mudguards even the mods used to laugh at me so i drove it over a cliff ,and got a vincent black lightning 1000 cc .sheffield to manchester 15 min,plus i ,d stop for a fry up and two pots of tea on my vincent black lightning 1953...

My first bike was Triumph Tiger Cub, it didnt, have an engine. We would push it to the top of the hill on the fields at Hackenthorpe, all jump on it (3 to 4 of us) and freeweel to the bottom trying to avoid the large oak tree and crossing the narrow bridge and up the pavement till it stopped. Not always successful, still have scars on head to prove it. Loss of brain cells had obviuosly occured prior to this stunt.

Also had a BSA Bantam, never got it going so gave it away to some bloke.

Next came MOD phase so I got a Vespa with sidecar painted it Luminous pink and green (dont ask). Used to meet up with other Mods at the Post Office on Fitzallan Sqaure on a Sunday Morning and all shoot off to Castleton where we would get into scraps with the Rockers usualy led by Butlap and Eskimo.

Around the early 70's I bought a lambretta 150 from Armando (what a character) I spent many hours chatting with him around a little pot stove in his tiny workshop off London Road) last scooter was a GP200.

Some years later got a Honda CM200 motorbike, and currently ride a Virago. That,s thirty five years of biking still fall off on the odd occasion. But I would never be without one. pleasure riding only now though. dont want to tarnish the Chrome!!!