Am I the only one who is sick of things changing all the time ?

Except that the switch over won't actually make a single tv obsolecent.

You'll just need to get a £10 freeview box and plug it in.

.....eh....that`s not quite true as the arguments on the link http://www.aerialsandtv.com/digitaltv.html#digitalnegatives make clear........

I`ve yet to see an STB (particularly one with a modulated RF output, there are still a lot of sets out there without a SCART input) for £10.

which argument? Do you mean about the aerial?

For some people, most won't need a new aerial, and either way it's certainly not going to make your tv obsolete which is what you said.

which argument? Do you mean about the aerial?

For some people, most won't need a new aerial, and either way it's certainly not going to make your tv obsolete which is what you said.

Most people in Sheffield (apart from those on Emley Moor) whose aerial is more than 5 to 10 years old will require a new aerial,

see http://www.aerialsandtv.com/aerials.html#WidebandAerials

Why will we require a new aerial, my freeview works in the back-bedroom using a £3 set top arial pointing through three brick walls!?

Why will we require a new aerial, my freeview works in the back-bedroom using a £3 set top arial pointing through three brick walls!?

Because you are fortunate to live in a strong signal area. Sheffield is famous (should that be infamous) for it`s hills and the vast majority of people will not get reliable digital off a "set top" aerial.

There is a fabulous topographical map (proving the point on Sheffields hills) at

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/atvmaps.html#topographymap

I know quite a few people who have digital, and non of them have needed a new aerial.

I was under the impression that the signal throughout sheffield is actually pretty strong.

Either way, my original point stands, current televisions will not be made obsolete which is what you contended.

I know quite a few people who have digital, and non of them have needed a new aerial.

I was under the impression that the signal throughout sheffield is actually pretty strong.

Either way, my original point stands, current televisions will not be made obsolete which is what you contended.

I never said that any TVs would be rendered obsolete, in fact (ironically) this is something that I stress on our website. But they will need STBs and I`ve never seen one for £10, particularly with an RF output.

Anyone on Emley Moor (possibly 40% around here) who has a decent aerial installation ((or is just lucky....)) should NOT require a new antenna.

Due to its hills Sheffield has a huge range of signal conditions and if one lives with line of sight onto any of the relevant transmitters one may very well get a good signal off an indoor antenna. BUT there are some people (who live in dips etc) who would not get a reliable signal even with an XB10/XB14 aerial and a mast head amp. Believe me some aerial jobs are not worth having, the installer is on a loser all the way......

I use 2xExplorer, which has always supported thumbnails.

I don't use "Windows Explorer";).

Nor do I for some things as I use Bridge, which integrate nicely with PS that's Photoshop ;) ], but doesn't work on 98.

Does 2X Explorer support RAW? As I can also view RAW thumbies in Windows Explorer, which is better for file shuffling than Bridge.

Had a look at the website, not good, hope the product design is better.

Here`s the latest thing to be changed, with no improvement in service.....

The EPOS terminal in our shop has just been replaced and (apart from the fact all those using it now have to get used to a new system....) the paper is now thermally printed just like all the old fax machines. This is becoming more and more common (because it`s cheaper....) but the receipt fades with time ! In fact there`s every chance that if one needs the receipt at some time in the future it`ll be bleedin unreadable.........

I never said that any TVs would be rendered obsolete, in fact (ironically) this is something that I stress on our website. But they will need STBs and I`ve never seen one for £10, particularly with an RF output.

Anyone on Emley Moor (possibly 40% around here) who has a decent aerial installation ((or is just lucky....)) should NOT require a new antenna.

Due to its hills Sheffield has a huge range of signal conditions and if one lives with line of sight onto any of the relevant transmitters one may very well get a good signal off an indoor antenna. BUT there are some people (who live in dips etc) who would not get a reliable signal even with an XB10/XB14 aerial and a mast head amp. Believe me some aerial jobs are not worth having, the installer is on a loser all the way......

You didn't.

The one thing that does get my goat though if 'forced obsolesence', whereby something that works fine is suddenly phased out and replaced by something inferior, such as the current analogue to digital tv switchover.

Basil did, which is what I said was incorrect.

You're right, the set top box costs at least £20.00, vastly greater than my £10.00 estimate.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-DTR200-FREEVIEW-Digital-Box/dp/B000AOEM5A/sr=8-3/qid=1162375529/ref=pd_ka_3/026-1494321-9156426?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

You didn't.

Basil did, which is what I said was incorrect.

You're right, the set top box costs at least £20.00, vastly greater than my £10.00 estimate.

Double your estimate in fact.

I though BasilRathbone was referring to the signal being replaced, not necessarily the set.

Double your estimate in fact.

I though BasilRathbone was referring to the signal being replaced, not necessarily the set.

I was. And it's inferior because, on the few occasions I've used a freeview box, I've not managed to get through a digital TV programme without the screen freezing, going black or 'blocky'. Analogue TV doesn't do this....