Am I the only one who is sick of things changing all the time ?

An internet forum is probably the wrong medium to complain about this but surely I can`t be the only one who is getting bemused at how fast things (especially technology) are changing all the time, and it`s getting faster all the time.....

In fact I`ve reached the stage where (other than advances in medical science) I don`t want things to change anymore, I`m happy with things the way they are ! I don`t want yet another way of recording/playing back music or TV or some incredibly complicated type of railway ticket ...... Half the time the "advances" are not actually advances at all eg Digital TV, Plasma or LCD TVs all of which are vastly over rated, I`m a TV engineer so I do know...... (see external links).

My watch failed the other day and all I wanted was one just the same. Guess what ? "they don`t do that one anymore Sir" (implying that it`s out of fashion), Gordon Bennet It`s a bleedin` sports watch which was only a few years old how can it be "out of fashion".......

Stop the world. I want to get off.......

The failings of Digital TV

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/digitaltv.html#digitalnegatives

The failings of Plasma/LCD TVs http://www.aerialsandtv.com/tvrepairs.html#plasmasLCDs

Although it is undoubtedly true that CRT TVs have better picture quality than either Plasma or LCD TVs, the latter are capable of being produced in much larger sizes and also take up less overall space than the very bulky CRTs. CRTs don't come much larger than 36" and even at this size are incredibly heavy and bulky. Look around any TV showroom now and you will be hard pressed to find large CRTs. And even if you did, they would not be HD ready. People don't want them any more. Moreover, the picture quality on some plasmas now, such as the Panasonics, is pretty good - certainly good enough to satisfy all but the most discerning viewer.

but we wouldnt have the forum or superstrong skunk

over engineered washing machines, what a waste of time and effort, everyone I know only uses about 2 programs from a selection of about 20,theres quick wash and proper wash,who these days boils cotton?now it would however be a great advancement in technology of they could invent a washer that could tell when theres a naughty black sock in with the whites, that would be progress!

Although it is undoubtedly true that CRT TVs have better picture quality than either Plasma or LCD TVs, the latter are capable of being produced in much larger sizes and also take up less overall space than the very bulky CRTs. CRTs don't come much larger than 36" and even at this size are incredibly heavy and bulky. Look around any TV showroom now and you will be hard pressed to find large CRTs. And even if you did, they would not be HD ready. People don't want them any more. Moreover, the picture quality on some plasmas now, such as the Panasonics, is pretty good - certainly good enough to satisfy all but the most discerning viewer.

I`m not sure I agree with you on whether people don`t want them anymore, it`s more that they`re being "persuaded" in that direction. I reckon they will eventually become cheaper than CRT but at the moment I`d never recommend one to anyone, and that`s before you try and get one repaired....

By the way HDTV (for the vast majority of people, including all those who don`t want Sky) is a red herring for the reasons given below.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/digitaltv.html#HDTV

I`m not sure I agree with you on whether people don`t want them anymore, it`s more that they`re being "persuaded" in that direction. I reckon they will eventually become cheaper than CRT but at the moment I`d never recommend one to anyone, and that`s before you try and get one repaired....

By the way HDTV (for the vast majority of people, including all those who don`t want Sky) is a red herring for the reasons given below.

i got an hd lcd and the difference is massive.

Any of the books on management (biggest shelf in our bookstore) will tell you that the job of a manager is to manage change. So if there were no change, the manager's job would be out the window!

Hardly surprising that managers want to keep things changing!

This isn't a new idea; it was covered a good ten years ago by the great philosopher Gary Barlow and his band Take That in the song "Everything Changes".

Yet Barlow gave us cause for optimism by including the qualification "but you" at the end of the phrase "Everything Changes", giving the listener reassurance that, whatever the technological advancements, "You" will remain a constant.

I think there's a lesson there for all of us.

LOL :hihi:

I appreciate what you are saying Justin, but I fear you are fighting a losing battle - indeed, CRT has already lost it, as many of the leading manaufacturers have stopped making large CRTs. It reminds me of the old vinyl versus cd war of some years ago.

As for HD, the pq is definitely superior to SD - the big problem with it at the moment is that there are simply not enough HD programmes to watch.

We deal with a lot of customers and I`m telling you from experience many of them (particularly, but not exclusively, older people) can`t operate/don`t understand the stuff they`ve got now.

You may not feel so unsympathetic when you`re older.........

Stuff actually gets easier to use, my tv recorder shows a program guide on screen, you select (left right up down) the one you want and press one button, done.

I fully intend to be up to date with new tech until the day I become senile, I've little sympathy for people who won't read manuals or do some reasearch.

I'm sure some people think all items of technology have a self destruct function that can be accidently set off by pressing the WRONG BUTTON.

The sky plus box (and its Telewest equivalent) is a great innovation. Press one button and the recording is done :thumbsup:

Well I have to agree a lot of what is supposed to be "innovaton" is driven by manufacturers who have to find a way to maintain market share and keep the money flowing in. Personally I just take what I need and ignore what I don't, but many 'consumers' are seduced by all the marketing hype.

Micro$oft is typical of companies who 'improve' their products simply to generate more cash, and it must be particularly galling for them that millions of Win98 users have refused to upgrade to WinXP.

Well I have to agree a lot of what is supposed to be "innovaton" is driven by manufacturers who have to find a way to maintain market share and keep the money flowing in. Personally I just take what I need and ignore what I don't, but many 'consumers' are seduced by all the marketing hype.

Micro$oft is typical of companies who 'improve' their products simply to generate more cash, and it must be particularly galling for them that millions of Win98 users have refused to upgrade to WinXP.

Its even more galling for win98 users to find out that their OS won't work with a lot of new software.