Redgates toy shop - Who remembers it?

Who remembers the best toy shop in the world Redgates? I bought all my Subbuteo teams at Redgates (now Sunwin House) :D

It was nice having friends with kids so I could use them as an excuse to pop into Redgates. Unfortunately, Hamlyns opened a branch opposite the Peace Gardens which brought competition so Redgates closed followed shortly by Hamlyns.

Moved this into History Forum Jon, yes I remember Redgates and I used to get my Subbuteo teams from there too.....Subbuteo brings back memories, I had many a brawl with my brother over that game when we were kids, he was the clumsy buggar who always broke the players :wink:

BTW - wasn't Redgates originally on the Moor before moving round the corner ?

It always struck me as curious that Redgates had that passageway that led into.... Lonsdale Universal... was it.... the stationary shop... fading memory here. Anyone else remember that?

graham_mca

I remember Redgates but don't remember buying much there - Coles' Lego was cheaper and I wasn't interested in much else as a kid :) You can all blame me for it closing down... :oops:

I remember my brother and I going into Redgates every week to pay a few pennies into our Christmas Club. Through the weeks we would wander around the shop looking and dreaming about what we would eventually be able to afford to get with our meagre savings.When it came time to redeem our cards we were SO excited. The atmosphere of the shop was wonderful too, all decked out in trimmings, tinsel and christmas trees and of course there was the mandatory Grotto and Santa.

Of course, this was before the age of computer games and the like. We were more than happy if we could get a new Teddy for our younger sister in those days. This sounds like a whinge but it isn't. I feel sad for kids today cos' they will never have the wonderful memories of childhood that I have. Redgates.... yes... very fond memories !

:D:D

When i was a child there were no toy shops around, i think everybody went to Redgates in those days.

"Redgates" What a fantastic place, many child hood memories stem from there, my favourite bit was the dolls house in the glass case downstaris. :P

My memory of Redgates.............. December 1970 - Christmas shopping with my family (aged 6), lift doors opened and out came Father Christmas. W..o..w - and yes, we did get what we showed him - talkie dolls!

As a kid Redgates was my favourite place. Got all my toys from there. Mainly downstairs if I remember right. I was gutted when it closed.

I remember Redgates as a child of about 10 year old about 1957 used to go in town on my own on Saturday and head for Redgates from Division Street, not much in the way of buildings around in those days as a lot was bombed.

I would head for the basement and stand watching the Disabled chap operate the Hornby Train set in the middle of the basement I could stand there for hours.

Anyone remember it.

A bit different today, the last time I went into the shop was about 20 years ago.

Regards John.m

Redgates, Hamleys and Beatties - why did all the good toy shops go? :cry: