Redgates toy shop - Who remembers it?

Redgates, wow!

In through the door, and what's the first thing you saw?

A glass case displaying Brittain's farm animals. That alone was worth the visit for a scruffy six year old with a model farmyard at home.

:clap:

I bought loads of toy soldiers from there! Redgates was amazing!!!

I used to buy all my scalextric cars from Redgates, all of which I still have today. I remember they had a model train layout suspended from the ceiling.

I can remember being in Redgates waiting for Darth Vader to make an appearance. I was mesmerised by him when he did, he looked HUGE!!:P

not wanting to show my age,but they also had a shop in fizalan square,i got my first pram from there,coach built too:D ,also i saved my pocket money for a doll she cost me 27 shillings and sixpence,lond blond hair and i cut it all off 3 months later:)

My Mom used to work in Redgates during the late sixties (long before I was born!) She once told me that when she was working downstairs there on a Saturday afternoon, Woolworths phoned to warn them that they had just thrown a gang of teenagers out for shoplifting. No sooner had Redgates taken the call that the same kids appeared and let off stink bombs in the basement of Redgates that they'd just pinched from Woolies! Apparrently the shop emptied very quickly...

Don't you think that redgates brought the magic to christmas, i can remember been taken their as a child around christmas to see father christmas, the lights and all the toys displayed in the shop windows, it was every childs dream! now all you have is an over inflated priced Murderhell with queue after queue of spoilt screaming kids. And at 33 i was refused entry to see santa!! ha ha ha, had a wonderfull christmas with my 3 kids this year but the magic just dosn't seem to be there anymore, theres too much competition with who gets what and how much it cost! quite sad really!!!!!

As quoted by pauline not wanting to show my age,but they also had a shop in fizalan square,i got my first pram from there,coach built too ,also i saved my pocket money for a doll she cost me 27 shillings and sixpence,lond blond hair and i cut it all off 3 months later

Today I suddenly remembered the name of the shop in Fitzalan Suare, Wilson Gumperts. If I remember correctly it was something to do with Redgates. It was a tiny shop (now an insurance office). The ground floor was the girly stuff but down in the basement it was everything that Redgates was but in minature. Train sets, toy guns, model planes, every bit of space was crammed with everything a boy could wish for.

I loved Redgates. My favourite thing was the Action Man wall. It seemed to be high up and was built to look like a mountainside. I remember being particularly impressed with the bearded Action Man! :D

As for Christmas - I never saw 'Santa' there, but at Castle House with the cool Reindeer ride (one year it was Spacemen as I recall...weird) and then getting a gift from Santa.

Originally posted by johnjo

I can remember being in Redgates waiting for Darth Vader to make an appearance. I was mesmerised by him when he did, he looked HUGE!!:P

You to?!!

Was that you who got big Ds signature scrawled on your forehead. Unless he made a regular visits I was there too!

:-)

Redgates was the bees knees. It was the Mecha of Mechano, The Sanctuary of Starwars Figures the Boudoir of Barbie..err.. ahem.

On another note, if what I was told was true it was driven out of business by Hamleys which itself closed down while the corpse that was Redgates was still warm. Business ethics..I think not.

I thought Redgates was at the bottom of Ecclesall Road when I was a lad....opposite the S & E Dept store.

Or is my memory playing tricks on me ?

It's playing tricks on you Greybeard.......it was just off the moor and eyre street....we went passed it yesterday and my missis who used to work there still looks at it and shakes her head in disbelief.....and like a female Victor Meldrew utters " I can't believe what they've done to Redgates"