Redgates toy shop - Who remembers it?

Guest Pauly

Redgates was excellent. I got all my handheld Nintendo games from there. Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong etc. Great fun, shame I don't have them anymore though. Star Wars figures and ships from there too. :D

Wasn't over keen on Hamleys. :roll:

Redgates was brilliant a 'proper' toy shop. I used to love going in there as a kid. They had lots of plastic animals in tubs and I always used to pester my mum to get one!

I remember Redgates the Toy Shop as a kid and thought it was absolutley fantastic:thumbsup:

Redgates was situated on Furnival Gate in City Centre - Were sunwin house CO-OP is now.

Toys R Us is quite good now but I think Redgates was something Really Special, or is it just that I miss being a kid and them magical years?

Anytime I was taken to town I used to be in heaven just being in this shop!

I would be very interested to know what you Forumers thought of Redgates?

Will there ever be a Toy Shop like this again?

Do you know of anywere like Redgates?

What memories do you have of Redgates?

Which specific Toys do you remember getting from Redgates?

Please discuss - Redgates RIP

yes i remember redgates and also when it got turned into zodiac toy shop aswell, i used to get my centurians from there a subbuteo and transformers oh those were the days...:cool:

I Remember Redgates In 1961 I Was Expecting My First Baby.i Was In Town With My Mum We Looked In The Window And There Was The Most Beautiful Pram We Had Ever Seen It Was On A Stand Going Round,it Was A Silver Cross High Slung,it Was Cream In Colour Wth The Hood And Apron Covered In A Pat,tern Of Rose,s,it Was Priced At £21 .i Knew We Couldnt Afford It.but My Mum Gave Me£10 To Put On It.my Mum Had A Milk Round At The Time My Husband And My Brother Worked On It, My Brother Met His Future Wife She Worked In The Office There Redgates Was Missed When It Closed

i remember redgates,met darth vader there, proper **** my pants

Blo#dy hell I remember Redgates. I always thought - as a kid - that when I grew up I'd work there!

Madness.

I'd totally forgotten about it.

NM

I was just having a 'Sheffield moment'. My parents are still there and I will be coming home at Christmas for some Yorkshire puddings and plenty of Hendo's sauce. I don't know why but I stumbled across High Hazels Park on Google Earth and realised, with much sadness, that the boating lake has gone. Gutted! Still, might take a drive up there when I'm over. haven't been in there for donkey's years. Bonfire nights were always good.

Anyway, looking at that stuff made me remember this site, so I thought I'd have a look on here and I've just been reading this forum. My memories of Redgates are very cloudy now, but I do remember it being the best shop in the world, ever. It was always a treat going in there, even when you can away with nowt. Am I right in thinking the bikes were on the top floor? This is circa late 70s

Hamleys wasn't a patch, but I always thought Beatties was alright.

I remember the shop being gutted and Zodiac toys having it all rebuilt.The builders ripped out all the escalators and fitted a rocket lift that ascended an open shaft with floating spacemen and other space equipment.It was great for the kids.They also released smoke into the shaft making it look really good.Unfortunately this used to set off the fire alarm!! The trouble was it didnt open until after christmas and I think they missed the main selling season.I remember the TV companies filming drivable flash cars outside on the pavement (for kids).In spite of my efforts I wasnt on tv.Fame eluded me again !!! The store only lasted about a year and later the COOP moved in and had the lift ripped out and escallators refitted.

Maybe I am wrong. Didn't Redgates become Hamleys ??

no, hamleys was omn the moor, IIRC, near Debenhams (I think in the mark one shop)

Redgates was round the corner in what became the Co-op, "sunwin house"

Hi there.

Redgates? Wow! now thats what I call a fantastic memory!

Spent hours in there when I was a young lad lol.

Regards...Mark