Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

How will Blair deal with the poor election results?

Recommended Posts

What do you think Blairs action plan should be now?

 

Do you think he will now say that he is 'taking charge'?

 

It seems that the Labour spinners are blaming this on Iraq, maybe they should regard being led by a bunch of pathological liars as more in line with the truth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he'll come to Sheffield and find out what our council is doing right which convinced the city to vote on local issues not blindly follow the right wing press and blame anything Labour for a war no-one wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by max

I think he'll come to Sheffield and find out what our council is doing right which convinced the city to vote on local issues not blindly follow the right wing press and blame anything Labour for a war no-one wanted.

I hope you are right. I expect most of those in Sheffield who voted Labour did so because they always have, because their dad did and because they reinterpreted Karl Marx's statement: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" is transformed into: "I can sit on my arse doing b**gger all and the state should make someone else provide me with everything I want".

 

(HELP! I think I'm turning into t020!).

 

... and Ecclesall Road (south) is God's own country

 

(Suspicion confirmed!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In days gone by an officer and a gentleman would have been presented with a pistol and told to do the right thing, alas Blair is neither. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course Labour were bound to win in Sheffield - they've promised to spend 80% of their budget on certain areas (Labour wards) and only 20% on the affluent SW areas. The wards promised all the extra cash were bound to keep Labour in - afterall, socialism is all about rewarding failure, and if they can vandalise fast enough make no mistake, the council will be along the next day to make it all new again. Shame about the state of the roads everywhere else though, and this will only get worse now that Labour are being blatantly biased to their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people in Sheffield who were considering voting against Labour probably cast their minds back a few years to when the Lib Dems were running the city. That will have given them second thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by t020

Of course Labour were bound to win in Sheffield - they've promised to spend 80% of their budget on certain areas (Labour wards) and only 20% on the affluent SW areas. The wards promised all the extra cash were bound to keep Labour in - afterall, socialism is all about rewarding failure, and if they can vandalise fast enough make no mistake, the council will be along the next day to make it all new again. Shame about the state of the roads everywhere else though, and this will only get worse now that Labour are being blatantly biased to their own.

 

I live in the 'affluent South West'. I am glad that Labour redistributes wealth across the city and I positively voted for the party that seeks to spend more in those areas where need is greatest. Socialism does not reward failure. It enables more people to have access to opportunities, creating chances for people to access wealth, education, health and other support services This is unlike the Tory party (and the closet Tories who call themselves Lib Dems) which seeks to restrict opportunites to the priviliged.

 

Originally posted by t020

In the local elections, in Sheffield, probably a few seats. [/quote

 

Does two count as a few?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the moral of the story is work hard, earn a lot, and pay lots of tax to prop up the rest. Makes sense to me... Socialism just provides such an incentive doesn't it?

 

I don't have any real problem with money being spent in poorer wards. My main problem is the blatant bias which will mean roads and other public facilities in the SW will become neglected and will damage the area in the long term. "Evening up the balance" of the city shouldn't be about dragging down one part to the same low standards; it should be about maintaining high standards where they exist and not neglecting them whilst trying to raise standards where they are lower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by t020

So the moral of the story is work hard, earn a lot, and pay lots of tax to prop up the rest. Makes sense to me... Socialism just provides such an incentive doesn't it?

 

No. The moral of the story is that a society that believes in social justice should enable people as broad a range of people as possible to have access to opportunities. This is the purpose of socialsim.

 

Originally posted by t020

I don't have any real problem with money being spent in poorer wards. My main problem is the blatant bias which will mean roads and other public facilities in the SW will become neglected and will damage the area in the long term. "Evening up the balance" of the city shouldn't be through dragging down one part to the same low standards, it should be about maintaining high standards where they exist and not neglecting them as well as trying to raise standards where they are lower.

 

Evening up the balance isn't about dragging down the other areas. However, we all have to prioritise what we spend our money and the same applies to the Council.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Smiler

No. The moral of the story is that a society that believes in social justice should enable people as broad a range of people as possible to have access to opportunities. This is the purpose of socialsim.

 

How is feeding lazy people dole money going to increase opportunities? The example being set is that if you become a single mum you get social housing and plenty of benefits, so how does that encourage young people to work hard at school? Capitalism creates a genuine environment of opportunity whereby people are not restricted by the state and are able to provide their own wealth. Success is rewarded.

 

 

Originally posted by Smiler

However, we all have to prioritise what we spend our money and the same applies to the Council. [/b]

 

Which inevitably will lead to neglect in the SW, making it less desirable and therefore ultimately less affluent, i.e. dragging the area down. Surely the council can manage to spend on their treasured Labour voting wards without damaging other areas? One would think that with the ridiculously high amounts of council tax they receive this would easily be possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by t020

How is feeding lazy people dole money going to increase opportunities? The example being set is that if you become a single mum you get social housing and plenty of benefits, so how does that encourage young people to work hard at school?

 

You seem to make several assumptions here. First, that people out of work are lazy - I'd like to hear the views of any forum members who are looking for work on this.

 

Second, that being a single mum is an attractive choice for young women. Please could you tell me what your experience of single mums is? How many have you asked? What independent evidence do you have for this?

 

Originally posted by t020

Capitalism creates a genuine environment of opportunity whereby people are not restricted by the state and are able to provide their own wealth. Success is rewarded.

 

True, for those who are in a position to access these opportunites. Socialism, as practised by this Government, seeks to enable a broader range of people to access these opportunities.

 

Originally posted by t020

Which inevitably will lead to neglect in the SW, making it less desirable and therefore ultimately less affluent, i.e. dragging the area down. Surely the council can manage to spend on their treasured Labour voting wards without damaging other areas? One would think that with the ridiculously high amounts of council tax they receive this would easily be possible.

 

Not true. you yourself said that Labour will invest 20% of its budget in the South West. This is an example of Labour prioritising investment where it is needed most, while continuing to maintain the wellbeing of more affluent areas. Not to mention the investment that is coming into the city centre, improving the local economy, which is good for all of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.