Are you interested in starting a cooking and recipe group?

Would you use a Food Group on Sheffield Forum?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a Food Group on Sheffield Forum?

• Yes
    • No

The issue really seemed to be that Geoff was concerned that it might not be Sheffield specific enough.

Foodies have been really very patient in waiting to find out if there can be a food group. We've not badgered, we've not hassled, we've not yelled. Ok, we may have nagged a little, but that's ok :) Users have simply said time after time that they would appreciate this sub-group.

In the meantime we've watched posts made on all the other sub-groups. Groups that could essentially be seen as 'Non Sheffield specific'

Without stating the obvious here, everyone eats. Even Geoff :) I really don't see why the group has to be 'Sheffield specific' particularly as food is something that we all do.

We all have ideas about food, and everyone has some sort of interest in it, varying from those who can manage to burn a salad, to those who dabble, to those who don't care what they eat as long as it's hot, right through to those who really enjoy food as an interest or hobby or perhaps work with food in their profession. Can we honestly say the same for allottments? or writing? or pets? or knitting? I shan't go on, I'm sure you get the picture. :)

My point is, I think many people would be able to inject ideas, thoughts and suggestions into a food group primarily because it's something we all do as part of our daily lives, and something we can all potentially learn from. The 'Sheffield specific' thing in my humble opinion doesn't really hold a great deal of water.

I'd like to make it clear that I have no issue whatsoever with the existence of the groups - au contraire :) - I think they're great. I just think for everyone's benefit there ought to be a consistent approach to the formation of sub-groups.

I would like to appeal to Geoff to reconsider his thoughts about a food sub-group on the forum. It would appear that many people not only want it but could actually get a great deal from it.

Surely, anything that can help build on the excellent community spirit of the forum is a good thing and not one to be discouraged.

Just food for thought.

:)

Last night's little snackette was Porcini Risotto

Gently fried onion, garlic and dry cured bacon in olive oil

Added the Arborio rice and stirred until transluscent

Then added the warm mushroom stock, produced after soaking the dried Porcini, a spoonful at a time and allowing the rice to slowly absorb the liquid

Add the mushrooms, some black pepper and dried herbs

Finally stir in some butter and Parmesan shavings

Fantastic!!!

what happened to the recipe thread??

i had a simple one.

get a big chocolate muffin, slice the top off and hollow out a little bit.

warm it up in the oven.

take it out and fill with clotted cream mixed with some finely sliced cherrys.

put the lid back on and for presentation sprinkle icing sugar over the top!

yummy, cheap and takes 2 mins to do!!

I'd love a food group - haven't read all this thread but I don't see why a food group is any less 'Sheffield' than any other group. Surely it's just a group of Sheffield people? Anyway - I've probably repeated what's already been said. Is there any news of when an answer will be given?

The more I think about a recipe group I really don't think it will go over that well! Don't hit me Liz !

After all, you can get most recipes of the internet now, most recipes that have been given out are the 'one pot meals' some just added a little different ingredient , also cooking shows are a dime a dozen now, and the recipes can be printed out .

Now cooking and household "Hints" might go over a bit better, but recipes ? I doubt it, there all starting to sound a bit alike....sorry:(

The more I think about a recipe group I really don't think it will go over that well! Don't hit me Liz !

After all, you can get most recipes of the internet now, most recipes that have been given out are the 'one pot meals' some just added a little different ingredient , also cooking shows are a dime a dozen now, and the recipes can be printed out .

Now cooking and household "Hints" might go over a bit better, but recipes ? I doubt it, there all starting to sound a bit alike....sorry:(

If you do send any recipes in poppins, we dont want any of those American"cup" measurements.Give is 1bs and ounces please. :D

Poppin: Well, just a general 'food' group then. Which encompases recipes too. If necessary.

I don't know why, but I love talking about food. :D

Every time I see this particular friend, we'll jump straight in and talk about what's on offer in the ice-cream market. :love:

People don't have to post recipes, but they can ask simple questions which they're stuck on. Sometimes even I can't think of what to do with ingredients in my fridge.

Poppin: Well, just a general 'food' group then. Which encompases recipes too. If necessary.

I don't know why, but I love talking about food. :D

Every time I see this particular friend, we'll jump straight in and talk about what's on offer in the ice-cream market. :love:

People don't have to post recipes, but they can ask simple questions which they're stuck on. Sometimes even I can't think of what to do with ingredients in my fridge.

Yes, this is a good idea. We can sometimes ask how to rectify a recipe when it goes wrong .eg. a cake sinking during cooking etc;

I put hendersons on my roast potatos before cooking them in olive oil in the oven

*drool*

:bigsmile: will do this the next time i do roasties mmmmm