Reginald Dixon M.B.E.

Sad to report that my friend who knew Reg died two weeks ago his name was Bill Dalton.

Back in 1958 to 1961, my girlfriend, at the time, lived on Ben Lane, Wisewood.

Across the road in the semi detatched houses lived Reginald Dixons (My girlfeiend said) sister. She was very friendly with the sisters daughter, and I remember during those years seeing Reginald dixon visit them. Unless my memory is failing me I think he had a Rolls Royce at the time with a miniature Blackpool Tower on the end of the bonnet, where the Spirit of Ecstacy usually is.

Cannot recall his sisters married name, but will do if someone prompts me. As for the sisters daughter, she will/would be about 74 ish now

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Which part of Ben Lane was this ?

Reginald Dixon is still very fondly remembered.

I am a great fan, and currently look after one of the organs he used to play in Blackpool in the Opera House in the Winter Gardens. If Rachel-Kneen would like to contact me, I would love to be able to speak to your Grandma. Please tell her I was a friend of the late Arnold and Audrey Loxam from Bradford, I know she knew them.

Reginald Dixon, Mr. Blackpool, the man who became a legend in his own lifetime!

My biggest childhood memories of Blackpool tower were Reginald Dixon although I didn't know he was from Sheffield and Charlie Cairoli and his white-faced sidekick Paul. Charlie used to come into the audience with a hand-mirror to which he had stuck the face of a chimp:hihi::hihi:

I have just managed to get hold of some letters from Reginald Dixon to a concert organiser in Prestatyn, one signed Vera and Reginald (each in their own hand) as well as a copy of his last series of farewell concerts, ending at the City Hall in Sheffield on Sunday 3rd December 1978. This was the last of his farewell tour, which lasted from 1970!

I believe the last concert he ever performed was in late 1979/early 1980 at the Thursford Collection in Norfolk. His last LP was also recorded and released around this time.

I live in Wolverhampton, and it's interesting to note that Reg's fisrt appointment as Solo organist was at the Regent Cinema in Dudley on the Wurlitzer there, where he played for six months. Prior to this, he was Orchestral Organist at the West End Cinema in Birmingham, but was moved to Dudley as he, apparently, played too loud over the orchestra!!

From there, her went to Preston, from Preston to Blackpool, an association with the Town that lasted the rest of his life and even beyond.

I just spent a twixmas break in Blackpool, and one of the highlights was visiting The Tower Ballroom where Reg spent nearly 35 years playing to a packed dancefloor. The format is still very much as Reg established, daily tea dances, (the next number is a waltz to "Spirit of Erin" that type of thing) and the fantastic organ they use was designed to Reg's spec, as the previous one was not loud enough.

The dancers are very serious, special shoes and lots of crinolin, and they don;t like interlopers, which I very much am!!

Reg was actually organist for 40 years at the Tower (1930-1970) however he did serve in the RAF during WWII but still returned to the Tower for dancing and concerts throughout. Ena Baga was employed by the Tower to play whilst Reg wasn't there.

It's funny, but the organ he originally played in the Tower he was still playing into the late 1970's. It was enlarged on removal from the Tower and installed in the Empress Ballroom in Blackpool, eventually being purchased by the BBC in 1970 and installed in the Playhouse Theatre in Manchester. Reg broadcast for the BBC for almost 50 years.

Hiya... I just found out last night that my grandad was reginald's cousin! 

To Harvey 19 who posted quite a wile ago

I have just looked through these posts and notice that Harvey 19 requested some information from me re Ben Lane Sheffield

The answer is that Reg Dixons sister lived on Ben Lane, Wisewood, Sheffield 6 and the semi-detached house was on the left hand side as you go up Ben Lane from the cross roads and is almost opposite or slightly the entrance which is on the right hand side and goes up to what was in 1959/1962 the Girls Nautical College. The Lodge at the entrance to the college was where my ex girlfriend lived   - maybe now the driveway to what was the Girls Nautical College is called Loxley Court 

Sorry but I cannot remember the sisters name now or her daughters name - the daughter was a good friend of my ex girlfriend at the time (1959/1962) and would have been around age 20/21 in 1959/1960

Unfortunately my ex girlfriend and her husband both passed away a few years ago - they lived on one of the Lanes in the village, I think they had a daughter who was a schoolteacher and may have lived on one of the roads from the village which go down to Middlewood Road - may be or have been Langset Avenue or another nearby road/avenue off Worrall Road

Hope this is helpful Harvey

Best Wishes for 2019 -  Victor , Subang Jaya, State of Selangor D.D., Malaysia (9-10am Friday 28th amd already 87 degrees and climbing - we have 365 days of summer

14 hours ago, victormh said:

...Sorry but I cannot remember the sisters name now or her daughters name - the daughter was a good friend of my ex girlfriend at the time (1959/1962) and would have been around age 20/21 in 1959/1960...

Hi victormh - could Reg Dixon's sister have been Alice? I remember my dad telling me that the Dixons lived on Bowness Road and that Reg had a younger sister Alice. Just looking at the marriages index, an Alice Dixon married a Stanley Fox in Sheffield in 1931.

Just been catching up on this thread, and the "noddy car" used in the circus at Blackpool Tower was and is an Austin 7. It is now back to being used in competition and has had all the complicated clowns parts removed.

The turkey has survived and resides in Lincolnshire