Should the death penalty be brought back?

Should the death penalty be brought back?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Should the death penalty be brought back?

• Yes
    • No

Innocent people regretably always get killed in conflicts and wars, are you saying we should never go to war because innocent people might die?

Talk about twisting peoples words! No I,m not saying that. My comments related to the subject of the thread i.e. the death penalty in this country.

The same can be said with the anti capital punishment voices, they always cite the USA but have they forgotten about all the African, Asian and Middle Eastern countries which all maitain the death penalty?

Don't these countries have worse crime rates than us us? More murders? Isn't toture the norm in many? Aren't their judicial systems and governments corrupt? Aren't most people in this country glad they don't like somewhere like that?

Strange that you would flag these sort of countries up as an example of how law and order should work and the death penalty working. you seem to be argue against your own position.

Yes it should be brought back for murderers if proved beyond reasonable doubt. They have taken someones life..take theirs too.

Absolutely YES. The argument for the wrong person getting the death sentence is valid but that was years ago. With todays modern technology and forensics there should be no reason for the wrong person getting the sentence, Plus, despite what the evidence says, I do think it would make a lot of people think twice.

As for paedophiles, they should be put in a room full of mums and let them do the job, less expense for the state that way.

people get wrongly convicted all the time. it's thought that 3 people are wrongly executed in the states every year, thats 3 too many. and as for making people think twice, people don't commit a crime thinking they are gonna get caught.

personally i would much rather be executed then spending the rest of my life being someones bi@ch.

' you got a perty mouth boy!'

But judges often blatantly aren't tough enough on criminals, and capital punishment does work in that it prevents a killer/rapist/ whatever committing any further crimes.

But the judges are the ones who are trained to sentence people. Its their job. The topic of a jury sentencing people is for another thread anyway. As for the killer not commiting other crimes, once he is dead its quite hard for him to do so. If you chop a shoplifters hands off i doubt he'd steal anymore, but it doesn't make it morally correct.

[...]Also, of course, there weren't as many druggies or drunks around as there are these days.

Drink and drugs have always been an issue. Opium use goes back hundreds and hundreds of years. (I use opium as an example because this is a "hard" drug.) The idea of the "junkie" waiting to mug you is not a new fear, its always been around.

I think it should be brought back for terrorist cases where the guilt is 100% proven, for example the Guildford Four.

Nice one:thumbsup:

Yes it should be brought back for murderers if proved beyond reasonable doubt. They have taken someones life..take theirs too.

Guilt in law is always proven beyond reasonable doubt but people are still wrongly convicted.

Talk about twisting peoples words! No I,m not saying that. My comments related to the subject of the thread i.e. the death penalty in this country.

That's my point Zamo!

How can you apply one logic to the death penalty and yet not apply it to war? Many more innocent people die in warfare than from the Death Penalty.

"Killing innocent people is wrong and the State must never do it."

Those are your words Zamo, I've not twisted them.

You either stand by them or your argument is next to worthless.

But judges often blatantly aren't tough enough on criminals, and capital punishment does work in that it prevents a killer/rapist/ whatever committing any further crimes.

I'm not sure that it doesn't work as a deterrant to others either. As I said previously, I'm convinced that most people in the past were afraid of the death sentence and therefore less likely to get into a situation where they might even inadvertantly kill someone. Also, of course, there weren't as many druggies or drunks around as there are these days, which also has an effect on people's behaviour. Someone who's drugged up or totally bladdered is less likely to consider the effects of their actions.

You also have to consider that even if the death penalty was available, even in the 50s it was rarely used anyway. But I'm sure, just the thought of it was enough to make people think twice.

I did a bit about it at uni - most research shows that those people who we would want the death penalty for - the most dangerous murderers, rapists and paedophiles - suffer from mental deficits that mean they do not weigh up rationally in their heads the consequences of their actions before they carry them out. They are urges, rather than planned attacks with logical pre-thinking. This is what makes most people sceptical that the death penalty would be a deterrent.

This is what makes most people sceptical that the death penalty would be a deterrent.

Depends which stats your looking at, I've seen stats' that suggest most people would find the death penalty a deterrent.:huh:

Depends which stats your looking at, I've seen stats' that suggest most people would find the death penalty a deterrent.:huh:

Precisely - most people would. I would. You would, I imagine. But we're not the ones about to go out tommorow and rape a three year old, are we? That type of person, in my opinion, has a very different mindset to me, one that doesn't see or care about the inherent wrong doing in that act, or the potential consequences be they death or otherwise.