The old cycle shop Main Street Hackenthorpe

howards wow what a guy always willing to help a young member of beighton wheelers

It's nice to read all these memories :) I've lived in Hackenthorpe all my life, but haven't really known much about it until recently, with finding things out on the forum and a book that 's been published about it and the surrounding area - Hackenthorpe seems to get a bit forgotten at times...

Anyway, I'm finding all your stories really interesting and it's amazing how much the area has changed - I'm trying to imagine all these places you've mentioned but some I think I've never come across, unfortunately.

howards wow what a guy always willing to help a young member of beighton wheelers

It was always great in the late 50's early 60's not only for your bike but toys. I remember going on a Saturday with Half a Crown and buyig 5 items at sixpence We had 5 bob as spending money each week 2 and 6 was for the Premium Bond stickers in a small version of the green shield stamp books and if I remember the book was about 2.5 inches by 8 inches and from memory the stampd were pink to red and 8 made a pound.

I still have the £1 bonds today what happy days.

i new howard very well from age 13 when started at beighton wheelers even worked for him as sat lad. the shop was always pop with lads in club and howard was one of older members and when ever club had a race he be there as a time keaper with his stop watch happy days :)

I have fond memories of Howard Wyer and his cycle shop from the mid 50's. As a teenager and a member of Beighton Wheelers Cycling Club, I used to help out along with a mate, doing odd jobs for the love of it. We did not receive any remuneration for this work but were paid in kind with spares and accessories as we needed them. A most satisfactory arrangement all round.

funny that had simmler arrangement in late 80s early 90 till he retired

I live in Hackenthorpe now but am from the south so don't know any of the people you mention apart from the Wyers who live on Brook Lane now, I think? Howard's Cycle Shop closed just after I came to the village and it is a carpet shop now.

Someone who knows I live in Hackenthorpe has asked me where Carter's Yard was? I have no idea.

They think that it was in Hackenthorpe but it could have been over towards Beighton way?

Chyanteg

I lived in Hackenthorpe most of my life until about 5 years ago but am still down that end pretty often.

Used to go to Howards in the late seventies and early eighties for bike parts fishing gear and bait and air rifle pellets for shooting down the back fields he was a brilliant bloke always freindly and always happy to help you out does anyone remember Craig the prince fan who used to work there.

I spent lots of time in Howards in the 80s when I was a beighton wheeler, as Howard had involements with the wheelers. Craig Drummend was the fella who worked there, he built me many a wheel. Also rode many miles with Craig and the lads back then, he was a pretty good cyclist. Think he went to work in James cycles in Chesterfield after he left there.

I live in Hackenthorpe now but am from the south so don't know any of the people you mention apart from the Wyers who live on Brook Lane now, I think? Howard's Cycle Shop closed just after I came to the village and it is a carpet shop now.

Someone who knows I live in Hackenthorpe has asked me where Carter's Yard was? I have no idea.

They think that it was in Hackenthorpe but it could have been over towards Beighton way?

Chyanteg

Carters Yard was indeed in Beighton...... give me a while and I will tell you the exact place.;)

Carters Yard was/is just off High Street, near to the junction with School Rd

Sean Piggot

As re the Old Shop it was linked to the Wyers as I went to school, Carter Lodge 81-86, with Andrew Wyer, his nephew.

Hi there wasnt your dad the caretaker at Rainbow forge in the late 70s to early 80s

I remember Howards Cycle shop well, late 60s on Main Street then it moved to t'top shops. Used to take me bike in to get the wheels "trued up" as owd Howard used to call it. I remember his face, full of old Sheffield character, his blue overalls, the smell of parafin, rubber and glue. Always found something to spend my sixpence on in that shop. Lovely memories.

We moved to Hackenthorpe in 1953. Although I was very young I remember that before Howard moved into the big shop on Main Street, he worked in a small hut across the road. It was between what are now The Blue Bell and The Sprtsman. At that time the Sportsman wasn't built and (I think) The Blue Bell was still in it's original old building.