Did anyone fall for this scam?

My house mate similarly came away with a 'lovely' watch and similar tat the other year. I know they're working on people's social conditioning/herd mentality; still, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.. Who's responsible for renting that unit anyway? Do they know what's going on on their premises? Probably so I'm guessing as it's in the same place as last year int'it. Same style of multi-coloured posters too.

Anyone letting out a store in Sheffield has a duty to make sure nothing untoward is happening in their property, it's in their interest to know what's happening there.

So if you want to pay £3 to the land registry online and find out who owns the store, anyone that's been ripped off by these people can write to the owner and let them know what they think about their policy of allowing these people to operate from their premises.

In my view they are just as much to blame for this as the people doing it themselves as they wouldn't be able to fool people if they didn't have the premises.

Luckily I've never fallen for this scam, I work on the "if it's too good to be true it probably isn't". I may miss out on the odd too good to be true deal, but I'll never know. The plus side is that I don't have the experience of paying over the odds for crap in some scam :D

Anyone letting out a store in Sheffield has a duty to make sure nothing untoward is happening in their property, it's in their interest to know what's happening there.

So if you want to pay £3 to the land registry online and find out who owns the store, anyone that's been ripped off by these people can write to the owner and let them know what they think about their policy of allowing these people to operate from their premises.

In my view they are just as much to blame for this as the people doing it themselves as they wouldn't be able to fool people if they didn't have the premises.

Luckily I've never fallen for this scam, I work on the "if it's too good to be true it probably isn't". I may miss out on the odd too good to be true deal, but I'll never know. The plus side is that I don't have the experience of paying over the odds for crap in some scam :D

I think you may find that they are squatting on the premises and the owners are probably unaware until it is too late. It has been the case in previous years they do seem to visit sheffield every year and if my memory is correct

they move to nottingham next and repeat the scam all over again

If they are squattnig then I suspect they aren't paying tax or any other requirements. It's a shame customs and excise aren't taking an interest.

And if they are in these shops that are locked up, surely they are having to cause damage to get in which could lead to arrests.

I suspect they pay a short term rent on the properties, but I could be wrong.

If they are squattnig then I suspect they aren't paying tax or any other requirements. It's a shame customs and excise aren't taking an interest.

And if they are in these shops that are locked up, surely they are having to cause damage to get in which could lead to arrests.

I suspect they pay a short term rent on the properties, but I could be wrong.

not only are these guys good at selling they also know property law backwards because it takes time and money to evict someone the owners know they will only be there a few weeks they dont bother doing anything about it they will move on shortly anyway A shop some where else in the country will all ready be earmarked.

Okay I know there's specific rules regarding evicting squatters and that takes time but I don't think they could get away with carrying out a commercial enterprise under such cicrcumstances. If the Police really are looking for any excuse to shut them down, surely they could just invoke Health and safety and have done?

Why shut it down, if they are that stupid it might just wise then up a bit! Just think of it as paying for a good lesson otherwise those mugs with never learn like you cant buy a plasma tv for a few £ when it cost a few hunderd to make! and why would any one sell you a electronic goods for 20% of true value when they can sell it for 60% on ebay etc? If you are that stupid you deserve to be rip off.

For them to be evited it will take at least 5 weeks of paper work, By then they will be gone with all the dumb people hard earn $$$

IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT WILL BE A CATCH

not only are these guys good at selling they also know property law backwards because it takes time and money to evict someone the owners know they will only be there a few weeks they dont bother doing anything about it they will move on shortly anyway A shop some where else in the country will all ready be earmarked.

THIS GUY SHOULD RUN FOR PRIME MINISTER AS HE KNOWS EVERYTHING :thumbsup:

Okay I know there's specific rules regarding evicting squatters and that takes time but I don't think they could get away with carrying out a commercial enterprise under such cicrcumstances. If the Police really are looking for any excuse to shut them down, surely they could just invoke Health and safety and have done?

If a ordinary constable goes to the shop he is completly out of his depth these guys will no every trick in the book and as I have stated they know the law better than the constable for the police to do anything a crime as to be committed and reported. although you may think a crime as been committed

one has not these guys walk the thin red line and never cross it the police hands are tied they only investigate crime, and what is happening is sharp practice.

I noticed today that the Daily Mail seemed to include an article advising people of how to dodge inheritance tax. As paying tax is the law, isn't this just a white collar version of hard-to-prosecute scamming?

for the police to do anything a crime as to be committed and reported

Just to pick you up on this, Police Officers have the power to arrest someone where the officer has reasonable grounds for suspecting that someone has committed or attempted to commit an offence. Obviously it has to be an arrestable offence for them to arrest someone and there are plenty of offences that are arrestable and those that aren't as well as those that are but the chances of arrest are slim. To go in to all that would take a while, but it's not a case of 'a crime has to be committed and reported' as you state.

Just to pick you up on this, Police Officers have the power to arrest someone where the officer has reasonable grounds for suspecting that someone has committed or attempted to commit an offence. Obviously it has to be an arrestable offence for them to arrest someone and there are plenty of offences that are arrestable and those that aren't as well as those that are but the chances of arrest are slim. To go in to all that would take a while, but it's not a case of 'a crime has to be committed and reported' as you state.

substitute the "and" in between commiited and reported with "or" then it makes better sense. but lets not go into splitting hairs.