Did anyone fall for this scam?

This scam is in the Star tonight. Why ppl fall for this trick is beyond me.

The ppl behind it are simply scum and are nothing more than thieves.

the scam has been around for years. Remember seing the same thing on Oxford street about 10 years ago when I lived in London. Really feel for people who get sucked in and lose out.

A disused shop suddenly open again...

Windows covered in brightly coloured flyers advertising XBox 360 (£80) and iPods (£25)...

Grant Mitchell type men handing out leaflets when everyone else uses young pretty girls...

A sale that starts at 3 o'clock instead of being able to wander round whenever you want to...

And the distinct smell of deception in the air...

Yup, people were falling for it. Fact of life - there will always be someone who just refuses to believe that something can be too good to be true.

I don't understand how people fall for this either.

I saw them giving out their flyers in town but ignored them.

You don't get ipods for twenty quid. End of.

If something looks too good to be true it ususally is.:D

firebomb the shop.. its always the answer kills the crims and the morons in one go :)

Apparently they're gonna be there for 6 months! I work very near to that building and have been told that any trouble, anything at all i'm to call the police. Apparently the police are just waiting for an excuse to stop it and my workplace is the most likely to give one because of the type of business we have. I've been looking out but haven't seen anything "criminal" yet other than noise and long queues. I did see a guy walk out a few days ago with a big black bin bag full of stuff he had bought. Took some items out, realised they were tat and left them by the bin!

makes you wonder doesn't it :)

the people identified in the Star must be well ashamed at falling for it :)

They are commonly called "MOCK AUCTIONS"!

You attend hoping to buy the items for next to nothing as advertised.

What actually happens is you buy something totally different that you don't need & thats if it works at an exagerated price.

While the auction is taking place you are just constantly waiting for that absolute bargain that never materialises, but they never mention them.

As you have paid something silly to join in the auction with a promise of something for virtually nothing you are drawn in more by the people who get an Ipod for £1 (part of their group).

Then the end comes, they pack up & are gone before you can even check whether there is something in the box that you have just bought.

Usually you end up with something that you didn't really want at the prize you would've paid in a shop but the item bought are usually seconds or returns.

As for the police doing nothing, I would think that its more to do with very clever business people, knowing exactly what they can get away with, and exploiting every loophole in the law, and exploiting peoples weaknesses.

These people have being doing this for years, and simply move around to avoid being lynched or noticed on a massive scale.

Not that anyone would argue with the people they employ. I saw some of them in london about 10 years ago, when they enticed me to 'look at some bargains', i saw people parting with hundreds of pounds for a £1 vase, i was kicked out after i noticed that one person had got 'several more bargains than others', i lost £2 in the process!!

(and i still beat myself up over losing that to a scam!) a camera with NO film in it!! lmao:hihi:

Far from laughing and taunting people who fall for this, think of naive 18 year olds who are tempted in for nokia 69583z itecs (or whatever) for £20 cheaper than in the shops, its all too easy for these thieves.

ash

It always amazes me how people can fall for this sort of thing, I remember seeing one of these things in Sheffield when I was about 12 and even then I knew it was a con, if I spotted it then, how come adults are still falling for it now?

I suppose it's true, a fool and their money etc..........

I suspect the people that fall for this sort of thing are the same people that enter their bank details when receiving a fake email appearing to be from their bank or that purchase XRay specs from the back of comics or click on the "Wow, you are are 1,000,000th winner" banner on websites. While I feel sorry for them and angry at those that take advantage of their gullible nature I can't help but wonder why they fall for it in the first place.

If these people are appearing in shops in Sheffield then why are the owners of those shops allowing them to operate from their premises? Surely they are aware of the kind of business they are involved in, you don't just let out a shop to anyone without any questions asked, maybe anyone ripped off by these people should also look up the owners of the premises used and ask them how they allow their premises to be used to con people in Sheffield, as they profit from these people using their premises and are allowing these people to operate surely they are as bad as the scum carrying out these scams?

I wasn't aware these things were back in Sheffield, if I spot one and get chance to nip in I'll use my phone to video what's going on, should be some interesting viewing and hopefully help people to spot this type of con in future.

In fact, just thinking back to the one I saw as a child, if I remember rightly a few days after I saw it the cocky owner and his goons were suddenly hounded by a woman and a camera crew and the quickly shut the doors and turned punters away. I didn't see them again after that, maybe they moved on to another town.

It always amazes me how people can fall for this sort of thing, I remember seeing one of these things in Sheffield when I was about 12 and even then I knew it was a con, if I spotted it then, how come adults are still falling for it now?

I suppose it's true, a fool and their money etc..........

I suspect the people that fall for this sort of thing are the same people that enter their bank details when receiving a fake email appearing to be from their bank or that purchase XRay specs from the back of comics or click on the "Wow, you are are 1,000,000th winner" banner on websites. While I feel sorry for them and angry at those that take advantage of their gullible nature I can't help but wonder why they fall for it in the first place.

Though i would normally agree with you about silly gullible idiots lala, these people are extremely good at fooling people, and very good business men.

I disagree with you though about the email thing, anyone with half a brain knows about email scams, but these people are relatively unknown, and use their tactic of disappearing, and reappeaing around the country every 6 months or so.

Anyone that falls for an internet email scam is clearly new to the interent (or new and slightly mindless). Similarly, they prey on people with no knowledge of this scam.

(i'd like to point out though i agree, people shouldnt be so gullible, but not enough repsect is given for the fact they really are business geniuses! simple as that!)

ash

(i'd like to point out though i agree, people shouldnt be so gullible, but not enough repsect is given for the fact they really are business geniuses! simple as that!)

ash

Just like Del Boy was a lovable rogue .......

These are hardened criminals ........