Did anyone fall for this scam?

I was out shopping this afternoon and someone handed me a piece of paper advertising an electrical goods sale. Apparantly, they were selling all sorts of things like i-pods, PSPs, flat screen TVs etc all at ridiculously low prices. Too good to be true pices, like £20 for an i-pod, £10 for a Nintendo DS etc.

This sale was taking place in an empty shop next to HSBC on Pinstone Street, and you had to be there at exactly 2pm otherwise they wouldn't let you in.

As it was quite obviously a con, and there was a big crowd of people who were falling for it, I phoned the police. They weren't too bothered, and told me to call trading standards, which I did. Trading standards told me they knew about this scam, but apparantly they couldn't do anything about it because "it's not as easy as that.":loopy:

So what I want to know is, did anyone go to this thing? If so, how much money were you conned out of? Did you get anything to show for it at all? I'm sure some people learned a lesson the hard way!

i drove down there the other day, and did see some trading there, it was like those blokes with microphones trading off back of big lorries you sometimes see at open air markets

I'm sorry but I don't get this. In the Star last year it had said that the police were trying to track these people down, after lots of people were conned out of cash and threatened last year. So why are they letting them get away with it? Who's given them access/permission? I presume the council know about it.

Not gullible enough to visit the store. I said to a friend when I saw the shop just after it set up that it looked dodgy as it was a strange place for that kind of shop. Just knew something wasn't right.

I would have thought that anyone who's seen "The Real Hustle" would be wise enough to know what was going on. I asked one of the heavies on the door of the shop if he had been watching The Real Hustle, and he asked me if I wanted to watch some boxing. He was a thoroughly unpleasant fellow, and he smelled of p*ss and fags.

Yes i know i am a mug but they got me 2 years ago jsut before christmas in fact i would say it was about now, the worst part was i sore a woman give her childs christmas away and she was in tears afterwoods, and before anyof you dare tell me that she deserved it , then go find a heart first, oh and realise that it is simple to make a mistake !!

why not ask that lot who are going to hilsboro tomorrow to make a detour from the sound of the posts they will be up for it

In case anyeone hasn't worked it out yet if a "shop" is selling ipods for 4p and piece of fluff it is a con. These places usually have blind auctions occassionally someone will get something really good, the winner tends to look like the auctioneer and have the same surname! Everyone else pays £20 for a really nice perfectly wrapped house brick or similar.

Guest Mod_Man

Have you not watched " The Real Hustle".