Dog walking precautions now the nights are drawing in

What extra precautions do you take when walking your dog now it's getting dark of an evening/morning?

Many of you will have seen Brude's hi-vis jacket on the walkers' group threads, and he also wears a mini torch round his neck if he's off the lead in the dark.

Photos of flashing collars, your own hi-vis, reflective leads, head torches, and any other unusual get up you may have most appreciated :D

I must be behind with things, i make sure i'm home wit doggy before it gets dark but then she does have a largish garden to run around in too. I bought my dog a coat with a hood to keep her warm but everyone I met laughed at her and made rude comments so I stopped using it :(

My cats have little headlamps on their reflective collars so they can be seen in the dark- they're little tritium light sources that glow all the time, so they aren't solar powered or anything.

Our old dog had a reflective lead for night walking,

Dont forget about your safety as dog walkers You will also need to wear something reflective and keep your mobile to hand :)

I have a torch.

When I can be bothered the dog has a flashing led thingy that clips on his collar.

Since we don't walk by any roads I don't think either of us need hi vis clothing.

I think little ozzy has a hi-viz jacket the same as Brude Strix, does it have 2 reflective bones on it? I need to make some adjustments to it though as it tickles his tinkler at the moment and he doesn't like it! so Im going to move the strap underneath. I'm going to get a flashing lead as well. Always try and go out with the partner when it's dark although in a few weeks that might not be as possible.

a flashing lead, is that to help other people see the dog or for you to see him?

To help other people see the dog, where I live theres loads of cars parked on corners and things, and peole that drive round are a bit oblivious so anything that helps the dog get seen is worth it.

I 'walk' my dogs at the front of a bike, so i have lights on it. just looking at buying some reflective jackets for them.

Mine was from a poundshop, but not sure which one as a friend bought it for me :huh:

Our dog had a flashing collar, however, it is no more since he went for a swim in the duck pond whilst wearing it!

My two are glow in the dark doggies! I don't walk late at night and only let them off if I can still see them so they don't have flashing collars or anything. When we were on holiday I did buy some little flashing bones to go on their collars because there were no street lights were we were staying and as it was countryside we had to walk in the road.

The latest I walk them is 9:30 and that's across the road for a wee and back again so we don't worry about reflective stuff. If they were dark coloured dogs they'd have something for when it starts to get dark and they're offlead in the park but I can see them anyway with them being white!