Sign in to follow this  

[SOLD] The Sheffield Experience

Guest Guest

Hello Everyone!

I'm coming down from Scotland to Sheffield soon for a job interview. I have been doing a lot of research about the Steel City for some time and have visited it a few times earlier this year. It certainly does seem like a big city with a leafy green small town feel. I found that very pleasant. Iam also impressed by the current and future regeneration that is going on. I need to live in a city that is dynamic and going somewhere rather than stagnating. How do people feel about the city centre regeneration and changing face of the city? Would you recommend it as a place to live and work?

Yours Dr Feelgood :)

I don't have time to reply at the moment, but I would suggest that you register for this forum. That way you can receive emails when people add their replies. You also get to send and receive private messages across the Sheffield Forum system.

Just an idea... :)

Geoff

PS. I will post a proper reply later.

Originally posted by "Anonymous"

Hello Everyone!

How do people feel about the city centre regeneration and changing face of the city? Would you recommend it as a place to live and work?

Yours Dr Feelgood :)

Well a lot of students come here to study and like it so much that they stay on. I'm one of them. Make of that what you will! :wink:

Have fun,

Nomme

Originally posted by "nommedenet"

Well a lot of students come here to study and like it so much that they stay on. I'm one of them. Make of that what you will!

Does that mean Sheffield has alot of pubs and cheap beans from Netto for 8p a can?

Guest Guest

Dear Geoff

Thanks for the tip. I have registered now. Look forward to your comments.

Ciao!

Dr Feelgood :)

Originally posted by "Paul Cocker"

Does that mean Sheffield has alot of pubs ...

Well that's certainly true - read somewhere recently that it is regarded as the real ale capital city. And new bars seem to be popping up every week.

Originally posted by "Paul Cocker"

... and cheap beans from Netto for 8p a can?

.... you were ripped off mat. :lol:

Nomme

Originally posted by "Anonymous"

Thanks for the tip. I have registered now. Look forward to your comments

Umm, it doesn't look like it. It is still calling you Guest

yes, come and live here, there are a lot of places richer and more affluent than sheffield. There are better places to live than sheffield, but by god! there are a lot more worse places too.it has its faults, where doesn't? but we are exceptionally fortunate to have the peak park on our doorstep,a cliche, but i don't care, and to have had some far seeing city leaders generations ago who have left us a legacy of trees open spaces and parks, which I believe can't be found in any othjer city,size for size, and that includes london. the native citizens are a moaning bunch always quick to whinge and whine, and (if a true sheffielder) have an insult for every and any occassion. but i 'd rather have one of 'em for any 10 southerners. they can be very true friends if treated right. unfortunately, they are,to a man(or woman),devoid of any vestige of a sense of humour.

don't approach them under any circumstances showing your teeth in a smile, they will think it is an aggressive gesture and are liable to attack.

i left sheffield for about 5 years some time ago, but i'm back.the place has been through some very,very rough times but is certianly fighting its

way back to more prosperity, and with people like yourself, it will be even better,i hope in the future. so get thissen dahn'ere owd lad

Dear Crimbo

Taa very much for yur kind words! I'll be on me way downtut Yorkshire real soon. :lol:

Guest dude

dude,

If i we're you i'd move to an area outside of sheffield and commute in. generally the people are very unfriendly. the student areas (eccleshall road, and crookes) are ok, however these are just 2 streets in a big city. if your after a city on the move, commute from leeds/nottingham. sheffield will only destroy your soul and will to live. since I will probably be lambasted for this posting. I will give you some evidence.

I remember when i 1st moved to sheffield. I was having a scout around town. could not find any decent shops :cry:

I went for the bus (left the car at home as i heard Sheffield has good public transport) and asked the bus driver to confirm that i was boarding the correct bus - Did the driver politely confirm this. nope. He told me that he did not have time to confirm that HIS bus went to my destination and told me to stop wasting his time.....friendly...nope.

I thought that the above might be an isolated incident. a couple of weeks later i read in the sheffield star that a disabled person had tried to board a bus, and was told to F*** Off by the driver....what are the odds that this is the same driver, unlikely.

2nd incident.

Driving along the city centre, I had accidentally chosen the wrong lane. no-one would let me in. ended up cutting someone up on the road. did the person

a/ ignore the apology but contnue with his journey.

b/ stick fingers up at me but continue with this journey.

c/ shout at me, chase me for a couple of miles, try to beat me up and kick a big dent into my car?

the driver chose C

3rd incident.

My girlfriend was walking back home from a supermarket, where she was told she was going to be "cut up" by a man who was following her.

these are real life experiences of sheffield. I have many, many more.

the reason i am posting this is not to say that sheffield is crap. however out of everyone I know who moved to sheffield from a different part of the country i would say 60% say its awful, 20% really good, 20% could tolerate but did not enjoy it.

hope this helps.

Originally posted by "dude"

dude,

If i we're you i'd move to an area outside of sheffield and commute in. generally the people are very unfriendly. the student areas (eccleshall road, and crookes) are ok, however these are just 2 streets in a big city. if your after a city on the move, commute from leeds/nottingham. sheffield will only destroy your soul and will to live. since I will probably be lambasted for this posting. I will give you some evidence.

I remember when i 1st moved to sheffield. I was having a scout around town. could not find any decent shops :cry:

I went for the bus (left the car at home as i heard Sheffield has good public transport) and asked the bus driver to confirm that i was boarding the correct bus - Did the driver politely confirm this. nope. He told me that he did not have time to confirm that HIS bus went to my destination and told me to stop wasting his time.....friendly...nope.

I thought that the above might be an isolated incident. a couple of weeks later i read in the sheffield star that a disabled person had tried to board a bus, and was told to F*** Off by the driver....what are the odds that this is the same driver, unlikely.

2nd incident.

Driving along the city centre, I had accidentally chosen the wrong lane. no-one would let me in. ended up cutting someone up on the road. did the person

a/ ignore the apology but contnue with his journey.

b/ stick fingers up at me but continue with this journey.

c/ shout at me, chase me for a couple of miles, try to beat me up and kick a big dent into my car?

the driver chose C

3rd incident.

My girlfriend was walking back home from a supermarket, where she was told she was going to be "cut up" by a man who was following her.

these are real life experiences of sheffield. I have many, many more.

the reason i am posting this is not to say that sheffield is crap. however out of everyone I know who moved to sheffield from a different part of the country i would say 60% say its awful, 20% really good, 20% could tolerate but did not enjoy it.

hope this helps.

Dude, where exactly did you move from again? I think you should broaden your knowledge of other parts of Sheffield before making such a bold statement as that. Every area as good and bad parts, perhaps your just unlucky? You mention Leeds in your post. Leeds has got some terrible areas much much worse than anything in Sheffield.

:cry::cry: The problem of Sheffield is the clowns who run it.

This saga of Lydgate school ended in an incredible climax today, bringing shame to our city. So long as our Labour Council fight against descrimination, racism and the usual evils of our society I can support them. But that is not what they are fighting for anymore. Today in our great city council we observed the spectacle of Labour councillors voting to smash these parents who had been promised school places, in an action which was immoral and almost certainly illegal. We all watched with incredulity the circus which is our city council. This is why we flounder as a city, while Leeds, Manchester etc. proser.

If you care about the future of your think twice before coming to Sheffield. I'm certainly not glad I came.

Mark