The fireworks / bonfire night megathread. All discussion (but not events) here.

Tomorrow we "celebrate" the 400th anniversary of the ritual putting to death of the only man to enter the British parliament with honest intentions.

I say ban fireworks for public sale and enjoy the municipal/organised events.

Having said all that, bonfire night is part of British culture and I like it, I am fed up of being told British cultural things should be banned because they might "offend" and then being told how wonderful it is that other ethnic/religious groups celebrations are wonderful. Why can't we all have our cultures and religious celebrations, share them and enjoy them in our own way without little Hitlers or religious zealots making life more difficult than it already is.

There's a lot of things that a lot of people don't like, but we don't ban people doing it.

I think it's pathetic how people are using the actions of a minority group to spoil the fun for the majority - for as long as I can remember we've had a fireworks display at home every bonfire night, it coincides nicely with my birthday.

I obviously no longer live at home, so can't account for the last few years, but in the 15 years we lived at home we never had a single complaint from the neighbours, and nobody every got hurt. It was great fun and we used to have all our friends around, and it made my birthday night.

We always used to do it on the 3rd, not the 5th because that was my birthday. We also used to have fireworks on New Years Eve.

I'm all for regulation to help prevent the minority who are spoiling it, and the rules on no fireworks after 11 are a good idea, but banning them entirely. I'm sorry killjoys, but it ain't ever gonna happen and you're living in a dream world. Just close your curtains, put in some earphones and listen to a CD!

Look on the bright side..........they will all be out carol singing in another week :(

Originally posted by waldershelf

Tomorrow we "celebrate" the 400th anniversary of the ritual putting to death of the only man to enter the British parliament with honest intentions.

I say ban fireworks for public sale and enjoy the municipal/organised events.

Having said all that, bonfire night is part of British culture and I like it, I am fed up of being told British cultural things should be banned because they might "offend" and then being told how wonderful it is that other ethnic/religious groups celebrations are wonderful. Why can't we all have our cultures and religious celebrations, share them and enjoy them in our own way without little Hitlers or religious zealots making life more difficult than it already is.

If they ban bonfire night as it may offend some religions, I call for a total ban on diwali etc as it may offend some of the born and bred English god fearing christian population :D

"sits back and waits for the flak"

If they dont like our traditions & religion, they know what to do......take their "british" passport and head for the nearest airport...

Have I missed something here?

Who exactly is suggesting that fireworks are banned because they have offended some ethnic minority or other?

So on the negative side we have the fact that my dogs terrified and for the last couple of weeks my kids sleep patterns have been disturbed with 21 gun salutes going off.

But on the positive side someones been able to spend a small fortune to hear something go 'bang'. A great right we should be proud to uphold (sarcasm)

Well thats weighed up the pros and cons of it.

Great laws. Personally I'd like to see these classified as offensive weapons. Theres no valid reason for anyone to carry them in public and if they're caught treat it as if it is a gun or knife. Leave them to the professionals. They make the backyard display look pathetic anyway

i had the pleasure last night of someone smashing my car window and putting a lit firework inside. car is a right off. bad timeing as i was working this morning.

I am now changing my mind as somebody at the lower end of Wilkinson Street is having a firework display at midnight. It looks like it's coming from the back of Flying Pizza/Pizza Volante. Suspect it could be a firework display after work for staff (not sure though!)

It's midnight, they're bloody noisy and my better half whose been ill all weekend and hasn't slept a wink is getting rather ******. As am I - and that's why I'm still posting. GRRR.

Originally posted by garryn

Theres no valid reason for anyone to carry them in public and if they're caught treat it as if it is a gun or knife. Leave them to the professionals. They make the backyard display look pathetic anyway

taking them home from the shop, or out to wherever the display will be maybe???

And who cares that the professional displays look better, doing your own is far more fun than watching someone elses.

Cyclone, you're a martial artist. You know there are ways round such things. Keep them in the packaging etc. A coppers not going to say much if you've got a receipt for a kitchen knife that's still in its blister pack and you're on your way home.

However, if you've got a 6" kitchen knife stuck in your waistband and you're hanging around the street that's a different matter. Same here. In packaging fine - loose in pocket - £FINE£

With most small backyard fireworks no problem. Used to be you got a couple of selection boxes with a variety of small ground and aerial displays. They were set off for the kids

But I know people who are setting off fireworks in their back garden that say to position it 25m clear of anything - they have a 5m wide garden! This isn't a display for the kids. Its 'look at the size of mine'. These things are high explosives.

I was driving thro' Dalton yesterday when I saw a group of kids about 12year old max, dropping a lit firework into a crack in a cast iron drainpipe! Blew the thing apart. This is happening to phone boxes, bus shelters, even dog crap bins! We have earlier posts relating to other damages caused.

Its alright saying close the curtains and put on a cd. I've got a 2 and a 4 year old. I don't want them listening to CDs at 11 at night. This c**p goes on every night for weeks. Disturbing their sleep, therefore disturbing our sleep. We have been luckier this year 'cos we've had enough wet weather to keep the corner dwellers off the streets a bit more.

This isn't a case of just a few killjoys. Look at how many have complained on this one thread alone! We have serious inconvenience due to people wanting to hear something go bang louder than their mates did.

The problem is - a couple of weeks on the bulk of people that are complaining will be getting on with it until next year.

Anyone out there got a petition to limit fireworks further. I'll sign

I drove past Endcliffe park on Sat about 6:50 PM and cars were parked everywhere. Large group of people were in the park surrounding what looked like a large "wicker man".

Could look too hard as I would have crashed but it looked like they were setting fire to it.

When I drove back the same way at 7:30 (had been to get a curry) the crowd had dispersed and the wicker man had gone though it looked like the embers were still on the ground. People were walking away from the park and there were plenty of families , kids etc.

Does anyone know what was going on? I would have liked to see this.

Typical really that nothing is ever advertised.

Useless telegraph only ever has features about events that have been and gone.