The fireworks / bonfire night megathread. All discussion (but not events) here.

chelsea Park one is great, I think the fireworks are pretty good actually, not as glitzy as the huge corporate staged events but it sounds like you're no fan of those either. This is a muddy wellies, bobble hat, hot dog and onions sort of event.

excellent, where's chelsea park?

if you go up eccy road past banner cross, past the turn off to psalter and the car showroom then go left onto bannerdale road. The road to the park forks off on the left soon after the junction.

Grindleford in the Peaks does a great display. Proper bonfire, decent fireworks and lots of great food to buy, such as homemade beef stew or bonfire toffee!

we could pehaps find the puddle-splash brigade a useful job standing by in case of fire-related incidents :hihi:

Slightly off track, but the day before-Sat 4th November there will be a great event at the Waggon and Horses in Langsett. Mr Fox will be providing pyros/dance/ music/masks/fire sculpture/wild drums and a show to remember. Be there for 8.15pm for a brilliant time.

It's a shame the council don't do bonfires in the parks anymore, I used to love the ones they had in Endcliffe park and High Hazels park when I was a kid.

They were the best :thumbsup:

In fact didn't these 'civic' bonfires take place in six (ish) Sheffeld parks? Endcliffe, Graves, Hillsborough and others?

Wish they were back :)

Hollinsend Cricket Club host a big bonfire on the Fox lane Playing fields, Frecheville. It's free, there's a Barbeque and the bar is open. The fire is lit at 7pm and the fireworks are usually set off in two stints, the first being about 7:30 -8pm. Although the car park is usually filled up early on, the tram runs close by (White Lane, walk to the Old Harrow and then up Fox Lane or Birley Lane and walk across the field) and the buses aren't too bad (94). The added benefit of sitting on top of the hill means you can watch the fireworks across Sheffield and Rotherham.

All welcome - you might even see me cooking and selling a few hundred burgers (Bit of a busman's holiday but means I get off the bar!).

Why can't they just have fireworks on Bonfire Night. We know to keep our pets in on that night - now it seems we have to keep them in every night for about 2 months beforehand. We had a load of fireworks going off near our house last night and our cats were running round petrified.

It shouldn't happen.

I'm with you on this one.

Furthermore, I think there should be total ban on individuals using them. If they have to be used, they should only be used as part of a public display by trained professionals.

Having once met someone who was severely damaged as a result of a firework, I've seen what they're capable of.

For anyone disagreeing with me and thinking I'm a party pooper, talk to a member of the fire service for a first hand perspective. I'm sure they'll be happy to give you their opinion.

Let's face it, they're nothing more than legalised pretty bombs.