Have Cineworld got too greedy?

They might make a bit more money if they let people wait for their friends in the bar, instead of insisting you buy tickets first. I can't understand why they do this - surely it can't be a security thing, as your tickets are checked as you go into the screen areas?

:thumbsup: Personally I tihnk £6 is very expensive to watch a film, its cheaper to buy a DVD! Especially if you want some pop corn for £3 and then a drink for a further £2, I used to consider the cinema a cheap night out, not anymore! I always take my own drink nowadays, and I also use orange wednesday!

And they dont do butter with the popcorn. Anybody know a cinema that does? Crystal Peaks used to. Me n my g/f only go for butter popcorn

I Use the orange wednesday offer and smuggle my own food in (cos says you aint allowed to take in your own at meadowhall). the food is a massive rip off.

Yeah but that ties you into a 12 month £131.88 contract!!

Thanks for your replies. Wasn't meant as a whine or grumble, just curious to see what others thought. I suppose 'expensive' is relative and much of the cost of cinema is from items other than the ticket itself.

right, I'm going to forward this URL to a friend who works for Cineworld, see what he thinks! :)

unfortunately it has always been the case that the food is overpriced,that is usually the only way they make any money.

I won't be in a hurry to go to the cinema, not for the prices, but the last time we went to cinema (pirates of the carribean 2) we had to sit through 45 minutes of flamin' adverts (NOT including the usual ones before the lights go down) before the film started!!! by the time the film finished I was exhausted!

Surely they get revenue from the ads??

The drinks are so diluted with ice it ain't worth it...and to be honest, we take our own sweeties ;)

Prices of tickets reflect what the distributers want for the films - the cinema doesn't keep much of what they make off ticket sales, they use the profits from the snacks etc. But you can take in your own food (which I bloody well recommend you do).

It would also be nice to see some of those profits going towards equal pay for all ages at that place too. grrrrr.

I work there, before you ask!

I won't be in a hurry to go to the cinema, not for the prices, but the last time we went to cinema (pirates of the carribean 2) we had to sit through 45 minutes of flamin' adverts (NOT including the usual ones before the lights go down) before the film started!!! by the time the film finished I was exhausted!

Surely they get revenue from the ads??

The drinks are so diluted with ice it ain't worth it...and to be honest, we take our own sweeties ;)

try cineworld you put your own ice in,therefore i put none in,so no dilution.

wilkinsons do the same pick n mix for 49p per 100g.

I hate the cinema! Not because of the prices but you always get some 'big clever ard' kids taking the p*** at the back ruining it. I'd rather wait 2 months and buy the dvd- curtains drawn, lights out, candles on, duvet down, pizza, tub of ice cream, couple of bottles of wine FAB :thumbsup: (and its cheaper!)