Pocket Money

HOw much pocket money should kids get these days  

26 members have voted

1. 1. HOw much pocket money should kids get these days

• fourpence ha'penny a week and they should be grateful
    • loads I got a fair whack as a kid and they should get the same
    • Pocket Money humbug!ruins the work ethic,send 'em up chimneys
    • It should be related to input around the home

i get £30 a month (£7.50 pw) but for that i was two cars once a month, wash up 2 times a week, bedroom tidied ebey week, hoover once a week, and possably cook once a week.

the £30 pays fo reverything i do, going out with mates, swimming, sweets, mags, ect.

i also have a paper round and lots of contacts for labour.

im 15

Sounds like you earn your keep Fletch!

Keep it up.

Bet it riles you a bit when others your age probably get £10 per week just to bugger off from under their parents' feet.

:(

Originally posted by markham

Sounds like you earn your keep Fletch!

Keep it up.

yea, good lad :thumbsup:

I started getting pocket money when I was 11ish, when I went to secondary school... I used to get £5 a week, which was more than my friends got, some got as little as £2 a week... By year 8, or year nine, it was upped to £10 a week :D I had that right up until my 17th birthday, then my parents decided that they would pay for all my driving lessons, theory test, driving test, instead of giving me pocket money... :) I had a job for 6 months, but packed that in, but I receive EMA payments, which is in effect pocket money, once I have forked out for my mobile phone bill, gym membership, savings for holidays etc...

I have learnt the value of money through not having a job... I used to splash cash like crazy with working at meadowhall, so now I hardly go there anymore, I've saved tons and tons for my holiday and been able to afford a lot more from my EMA payments by budgeting :)

Originally posted by Fletch

i get £30 a month (£7.50 pw) but for that i was two cars once a month, wash up 2 times a week, bedroom tidied ebey week, hoover once a week, and possably cook once a week.

the £30 pays fo reverything i do, going out with mates, swimming, sweets, mags, ect.

im 15

That would be one car.

And how often do you get the full amount ?

And how often do all these things get done? I believe it was only one washing up last month, so you are not that desperate for the money.

It is for you to with as you please though. It is quite funny how my mates that pay you get jobs done (wash cars, do gardening) get them done much quicker than i do. They think he's a great lad (and they are right sometimes :) )

The unfortunate thing is Fletch goes to school with many kids that get there family allowance given to them for not doing a lot at all.

He didn't comment on the money that goes into bank account for him, though he is not allowed to spend this (if he wants to learn to drive when he is 17) without explanation.

Maybe i am tough, but i was expected to do jobs like wash up, without money promised, and if i didn't do them i didn't go out. If i did them i would get 50p to to youth club for the night. On a Sunday i was not allowed to go out to mates until i had hoovered (moving everything) downstairs. I always thought my mother seemed to be a slave driver, but i lived there too and why should i not do it.

Originally posted by Fletch

im 15

It does seem like you deserve what you receive. Well done.

it is two cars! or at least it was 2 days ago!

i dont get all of it most of the time because you dock me £10 for not doing a washing up

it was only one washing up last month because i had hurt my leg and couldnt stand up for a long time at once

i do jobs for others quicker than i do jobs for you because they pay better than you! (so naturally do it for them)

do i really go to school with people like that do i? have you ever even met any of my mates???

yeh i get £20 in my bank each month! but if it didnt get in now i would only be asking you for it then!

i agree with having to do work for money its just when you rip me off! but things have changed since those days.

And how many nights a week do i ever go out with mates? i go to scouts wednesday and Thursday and do stuff for my D of E and comunity. the only time i really spend my money is when u take me to the pub for a drink and even then i glass collect for some extra drink and ect

Er,...... fuzzy, Fletch. Is this a family argument going on here?

If so, I'll but out of this one.:confused:

i get £50 a month but that covers everything i do in that month includingt travel to n from skool(a bus and a tram each way), going out wiv mates holidays and nething else i want-as wiv skool i dont really have time for a job if i wont a life -its ltough livin on £5 a wk but its btr than wrkin n having no time! long live the broke student wiv no job!

Originally posted by markham

Er,...... fuzzy, Fletch. Is this a family argument going on here?

If so, I'll but out of this one.:confused:

nah she had a go so i thort i would put my side of the story about. its been going on for years about how much i should get and what i have to do for it. and if i dont do them what i lose.

as you have probably noticed i have been very quiet for the last month- due to the banning of the computer because i did no jobs (which i think is unfair due to the fact that i have no money so cant go out and do stuff. so why do i have to be complained at for doing nothing at home and getting in the way when i could be on the comp doing work.)

Guest costessey

my lad (12) gets £4 pw, and daughter (15) £5 pw

at 16 i got £2, so i'm tighter than my parents!

i got about 30-40 p/month from the age of about 15-17 then strated working and it stopped.

Helped with general thing round the house but a got a little more if i did the car or lawns.

I think it is difficult to get a right balance .If to much is give people become selfish and spoilt, but if too little is give there is the temptation for getting credit and borrowing of ppl as soon as they can which is a bad habit.

any way thats what i think.