Health Visitors, Your Opinions.

I like my HV. She doesn't say alot but is full of common sense and never critical. Never bombards me with information but gives plenty when asked.

I like my HV. She doesn't say alot but is full of common sense and never critical. Never bombards me with information but gives plenty when asked.

might be the same as mine, then!

all mine were totally useless, the first one spoke to me like i was a complete nutter that shouldnt be left in charge of a pet gold fish, the third was a complete nutter that shouldnt have been allowed to give advice or anything even about a pet gold fish and the third one i threw out of the house. the third one kept trying to talk over me and tell me what was best bla bla i ended up asking her if she had any kids and she said no, i asked her why she thought she was qualified to tell me how to bring up my 3rd baby, and to go away and leave me alone. She did and unbeleivably my youngest has now managed to reach 10 :)

having said that im sure there are some absolutly top HV's out there that do an excellent job , every job has loonies and busy body jobsworths in it that really havent a clue what they are on about:rolleyes:

My first HV with my first child ten years ago was lovely and was always ready to give advice without making you feel so stupid that you'd had to ask to question in the first place. She took time to listen. To me this is just as important as the advice.

My second HV with my second child born 20 months ago, well, I couldn't tell you what she looks like or her name even without checking in my childs record book! She came to visit me at home when my daughter was about 4 weeks old, asked me a load of questions, did a lot of writing in a little book and said ' well everything seems fine, it's your second baby so you know what you're doing, you will probably never see me again'. And off she toddled!! Luckily my first HV with my first child is still around at the clinic where I go to get my daughter weighed etc and whenever I need any advice, she gives it! But, the second one, I wouldn't pay her out in washers!!!

might be the same as mine, then!

Does she wear a cardigan alot?

ive had about 5 health visitors over the years and all have been absolutley fine.

I do know that many have thier hands tied in what advice to give - often they have to go 'by the book' when first hand knowledge points in the opposite direction.

if you have a HV you arent happy with, ask to see another ... a freind of mine in frecheville did (a couple of years ago tho) and there wasnt a problem.

shame that so many have negative experiences, at what should be happy and stress free time...

sue x

They are just like doctors or teachers. Some are good, some are mediocre some are poor. I was lucky to have a brilliant one in Beighton, but not met my new one. I felt the Beighton one was rather put on though, she seemed to have a huge caseload and as her colleagues left they werent replaced.

At the baby clinic where i take my son to see the Health Visitor it varies as to which one you see. As there are a few Health Visitors there I find the advice that you get totally depends on the person that you see and they often contradict each other.

Being a first time mum I hung on there every word for my sons first few months but I think as you get used to your baby and parenthood you realise that no one knows your child like you do and so its best to follow your instincts and do what you feel is best for you and your baby :)

i have to be honest i didnt have much contact with health visitors, only saw them when my daughter went for jabs and check ups,

luckily i had a great midwife who gave me loads of info preparing for childs birth and beyond.

so al in all....my hv wasnot worthy of the job title!

i managed to miss the Hv all the time as i came up to Glasgow to givebirth and then moved back down so i think they just decided to miss me! I had midwife for 5 weeks after birth so did not really need a Hv. I did take mini to the baby clinic a few times but soon gave up as they were just full o nonsense!

WARNING: Rant coming up!

The management of the Sheffield Health Visitor service is utterly incompetent.

It's so depressing having to deal with these people who are so concerned about their own departmental structures and what they are and aren't responsible for that they lose sight of the very children they should be supporting!

Basically child sat at home waiting to start nursery for over a month but can't because health visitors and school nurses are arguing about who should provide support. Not getting anywhere sorting this out!

So much for 'Every Sheffield Child Matters'

The HV I see now first came to me in April 2010, when I move dinto a new area. Her first comment was "Ooooh isn't she a pretty little thing! So many babies are horrible looking now a days but shes beautiful!"

Now, my daughter has always been a bit slow at developing, born in Jan 09, she didn't sit up unaided until 9 months, crawled at about 17 months, and didn't walk until 22 months. There was nothing wrong with her, she was just a bit 'lazy'. Her speech, however, was always quite up to date. The HV keeps finding excuses to come back, either monthly or 3 monthly, and every time, finds a reason to come back the following month, now that my daughter is walking, its her speech that they've turned to. As she can't 'string a sentence of over 12 recognisable words together' (she can, she just doesn't want to talk to the HV) and she has 'no understanding' because she won't stop watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse to get up and fetch a fork from the kitchen for the HV when she wants her to (she will for me, and she'll close the door, put something in the bin, and all the various other commands). The HV keeps saying she can't understand her when shes talking. I don't know how she can't understand her, she speaks very clearly. When she comes back in a couple of weeks, lets see what problems she finds this time...