Windows XP Pro

Out of interest, how much does it cost the PC builder to buy a copy of Windows XP Pro OEM from Microsoft?

I know that the street cost for Windows XP Pro is ridiculously high (about £150 I think) and the OEM version can be had for as little as £100.

I'd like to know how much of the cost of a PC goes back to MS?

Given that hardware prices always drop, and software prices always increase, MS seems to be taking a bigger slice every year...

I can't remember what we payed for Windows but I remember it was cheaper in bulk.

getting away from the discussion of how to pirate an OS (personally, if anyone wants to rip off mikkkro$oft than that's fine in my book but this isn't the forum for that)......

Why do you need XP PRO??? It's even more bloated than the usual home OS, with unnecessary services and processes running in the background opening you up to potential attacks and hogging RAM.

Originally posted by DaBouncer

OK… I may be being thick but what’s OEM software? And why would I need to buy hardware too? :confused:

Hey… we’ve all gotta learn somewhere :thumbsup:

OEM might stand for 'Outsourced Electronics Manufacturer' - that's basically what it means anyway :)

However, it has two different interpretations, which is damn confusing. For instance Sony may make an unbranded DVD player, then Acme Inc will buy 100,000 and stick an Acme Inc logo on it.

However, it can be referred to as an Acme OEM or Sony OEM - i.e. outsourced both ways.....anyway I digress!

In terms of software, it means that the operating system (Windows) is sold to you *with* the PC. So Microsoft provide Windows dirt cheap to PC retailers because it pretty much guarantees the end user will stick with Windows instead of a cheaper and better alternative... worked on me!

What suprises me, is that ebuyer is reselling the OEM software! I didn't think that would be legal...

OEM, hardware/software basically comes with no support

so an OEM version of WinXP Pro would more than likely come with no packaging, just a user guide. so your on your own if you get stuck with anything.,but this dose make OEM products cheaper to buy

:thumbsup: