Windows XP Pro

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Also anyone know where I can get Office 2003 Pro cheaper than staples?

Not sure how much it is in Staples, but you might want to try and get an OEM version from somewhere like http://www.scan.co.uk - but you may need to buy some hardware at the same time. (Even if you buy a cheap hard drive, it often works out cheaper.)

Edit: ... and the same goes for Windows XP Pro too.

Tony

OK… I may be being thick but what’s OEM software? And why would I need to buy hardware too? :confused:

Hey… we’ve all gotta learn somewhere :thumbsup:

Just to point out, RPG - I'm running a less-than-legal copy of XP Pro (which I didn't install myself, so I dont' know where it's from), and Service Pack 2 is running just fine. It's only certain CD-keys that are blocked, I believe.

Susie

OK… I may be being thick but what’s OEM software? And why would I need to buy hardware too? :confused:

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer - it is basically software that comes bundled with hardware (e.g. the PhotoScrop stuff you get with scanners, the copy of MS Works you get with your PC from PC World). It is usually ready installed; you get a copy of the CD in a paper pouch - no boxes or manuals.

The terms of OEM licensing say that it can only be supplied with hardware. So in theory if you buy a floppy drive for £5 with your copy of Office, it is being supplied with hardware, so is above board. I don't think Ebuyer do this (I got MS Office from there, I don't think I bought any hardware at the same time).

My mate who runs a PC business will only sell OEM software with some sort of hardware - he is probably a much softer target for MS if they decided to get strict!

Originally posted by SusieP

Just to point out, RPG - I'm running a less-than-legal copy of XP Pro (which I didn't install myself, so I dont' know where it's from), and Service Pack 2 is running just fine. It's only certain CD-keys that are blocked, I believe.

SP2 isn't released yet?

I believe MS has the dilemma of blocking illegal copies from updating - in which case there is an army of machines out there full of security vulns spreading viruses, etc, and causing grief for legal users. So they figure it is better to have illegal copies that are at least patched and secure.

Kind of like the moral dilemma of should illegal immigrants be allowed to have their kids immunised on the NHS - they're technically not entitled to it, but society will be better for everyone if they have jabs.

Susie

Are you running SP2-beta !? or has SP2 been released now ?

I'm not sure if it's full or "beta". Again, I didn't install it myself and I'm not so big on technology. I do try to keep up, though :(

Susie

OEM is basically a cheaper version of something... in practical terms it means you don't get a nice looking box, possibly miss some disks or as with things like CD drives, software that might otherwise go with a seperate retail version...

For the purpose of Operating system software the benefits of a full retail pack are virtually nill so if you can get OEM with a hardware purchase that you needed anyway it's better to do that way...

There are some rules to OEM purchases though such as, much buy with a system or the parts that would make a system.. but that tends to be a somewhat flexibly interpreted rule set depending on the store/retailer you buy from.. so shop around :)

This is correct - some install keys publicly available on pirate software websites will have been disabled. If your key isn't on that list, and you got the copy from a mate, it may work for a while. When you come to reinstall the OS and have to reactivate though, Windows XP may fail to activate and you won't be able to log on to the computer.

Originally posted by Jamie

Are you running SP2-beta !? or has SP2 been released now ?

Windows XP SP2 is at the Release Candidate 1 stage. I think it is available for download. It warns:

"WARNING! This technical preview is unsupported and is intended for testing purposes only. Do not use in production environments."

Getting round the product key problem is quite simple:

Take a legitimate serial key already in use and activated to another computer.

Call Microsoft and inform them you have recently upgraded your computer.

They will then ask for your current serial key, give them the key you know of and in return you get a nice sparkling new one. The old key will still work and so will your new one:)

[EDIT] Also forgot to add using a Corporate copy of Windows XP also gets round any problems with authenticity.

Great idea, J-blaze! That could actually work!

For the paranoid amongst you, Microsoft doesn't ask for your name, address or credit card number when you call to activate the software. The call is completely anonymous (except if MS trace your phone line...).

Of course, any Sys Admin worth his / her salt should already have got round the little problem of activating, by using the Corporate / VLK versions of MS products

:clap:

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer and OEM software is softwrae sold on licence by Microsoft or whoever to hardware manufacturers to bundle with their kit.

PCs come with an OEM edition of the operating system installed, for example XP. You should receive a CD with the softwrae along with your PC, and the price is effectively hidden in the price of teh computer.

Sometimes, OEM discs end up on the market when a retailer or sholesaler goes bust or offloads old stock. In theory, you shouldn't be able to buy OEM software without buying a piece of hardware that the software supplements or uses, but there you go!

Joe