Sign in to follow this  

An Idea for a Script (TV or Movie)

I have what I feel is a great idea for a thought provoking and possibly controversial script to be made into movie or TV mini drama (something channel 4 might make ;) ).

Obviously don't want to go into the idea in detail on the forum but it centres around the air of terrorism in today's climate.

It couldn't work as a play and it could possibly work as a book.

However I'd like to see it (if it ever came to it) on a screen.

I know how it will end, and begin... I have a basic story line and a plot which would need fleshing out.

I have no idea how to put it in a suitable script format and I am a firm believer that two heads are better than one.

Is anyone interested in taking this forward with me and can write it as a script, has experience of doing so and can bring their own ideas to the table for it?

Ta Muchly :thumbsup:

I've done a lot of script work, but unfortunately I'm snowed under right now....and for the next Millennia at this rate. :)

Best bet is to take a look at a baisc book on screenwriting to get yourself used to the required 'film format'. Write your script in that format - not any other format - because that will immediately force you to abide by the basic first principles of screenwriting and also will give you an idea of your script's running time. It also marks you out as soemone who's taking it seriously. :)

A good book is 'Raindance Writer's Lab : Write and sell the hot screenplay' by Elliot Grove, Focal Press, ISBN 0-240-51636-2

I do have a few screenwriting books and have collected a fair few movies in screenplay format. I even own the "Teach Yourself Screenwriting" book.

I also want someone to share ideas with on the subject to flesh out the storyline and dialogue.

Cheers for the suggestion though Joe... I will give it some thought.

Good Luck - the main things I always tell people with regard to writing dialogue are as follows :

Don't use 'dialects' or 'accents' unless CRITICAL to plot development, and even then don't try and write the stuff phonetically.

Be very careful about 'pet phrases' sneaking in to dialogue. It's very noticable in a finished film. Next time you see 'Lethal Weapon 3' just count the number of times the phrase 'Son of a...' is used. It jars a bit. :)

Read dialogue out loud. Some sentences that look fine on paper may not work when read out. Just read it on to tape and then play it back. You'll spot the bits that 'stick'.

Not a criticism .

When i post my work on the here. I have to trust my fellow group members I'm not saying my work is of the sort of calibre that it would be worth copying but this group is based on trust .Perhaps if you asked one or two members that you know to go over your idea it may help .

Joe I'm interested to know were the scripts you wrote for tv/radio.How did you get there.

Mikomi - a couple of short films, and some feature stuff.

Shorts made, but the features haven't flown - had some interest but not enough to take it further. :( had some half way decent feedback form the Beeb abut a sitcom script I sent them a couple of years back, but not good enough for them to buy. :)

Also did a little script doctoring - tdying up other people's work.

Did soem radio work as well - sketches, that sort of thing.

Even with the lack of concrete achievement, I love the work - great fun!

Good Luck - the main things I always tell people with regard to writing dialogue are as follows :

Don't use 'dialects' or 'accents' unless CRITICAL to plot development, and even then don't try and write the stuff phonetically.

Be very careful about 'pet phrases' sneaking in to dialogue. It's very noticable in a finished film. Next time you see 'Lethal Weapon 3' just count the number of times the phrase 'Son of a...' is used. It jars a bit. :)

Read dialogue out loud. Some sentences that look fine on paper may not work when read out. Just read it on to tape and then play it back. You'll spot the bits that 'stick'.

What do you mean by "pet phrases" Joe ?Also never thought about reading dialogue out loud,Joe, I will do that in future.

Hi Pattricia,

It's a phrase you prticularly like, but that turns up frequently.

Sometimes, it can be a useful 'trick' to indicate something about the personality of a character, but you have to be very careful

I love the first 3 'Lethal Weapon' series but by the 3rd the phrase 'Son of a bitch' was, IMO, used too frequently by the Murtaugh character. It's a phrase that only works for it's effect if used occasionally. Use such phrases too often and they can weaken the character.

In short stories I soemtimes write soemthing that really takes my fancy. It works so well that I might use the phrase again in the same story, and then in a different story, and so on. With any luck, somewhere along the way I'll realise that I'm using a phrase withut really thinking about it or whether it contributes to the story. And at that point I need to start 'killing my favourite phrase' where it's just been put in becase it seems 'cute' or 'clever' to do so.

Mikomi - a couple of short films, and some feature stuff.

Shorts made, but the features haven't flown - had some interest but not enough to take it further. :( had some half way decent feedback form the Beeb abut a sitcom script I sent them a couple of years back, but not good enough for them to buy. :)

Also did a little script doctoring - tdying up other people's work.

Did soem radio work as well - sketches, that sort of thing.

Even with the lack of concrete achievement, I love the work - great fun!

So was some of this on a commission basis .I'm asking this way on the forum as I'm interested , and I'm sure others would be interested to know as well.

tell me to shut up when you have had enough .