Making friends of strangers

Originally posted by Carolina

I am Spanish myself and found out when I arrived to this country that it is quite difficult making friends with English people, cos they stick together with friends in pubs, etc. and are not as open as other nationalities. Please, be more sociable!!!!

Hi

i love the spanish people. I admire the way you are more open than us brits (although our generation is hopefully slowley changing that!)

You can be my friend (online and not)

Originally posted by duffman

but you know) do the same or am I mad just going up to strangers and (nearly) make a friend out of it?

I think you should of done - thats how I've made most of my mates. I use to go in my local alone when I moved to a new area and saw another girl alone, so I went up and said we both look sad fancy some company? we laughed and now I have a really good mate.

Its like that with the group of mates I have - it just keeps getting bigger a when we talk to people we grab a number and get them out next time.

You go for it and good luck! But do be careful as not all people are as friendly as us!

I'm too shy to take that sort of approach, so I tend to stay with the small circle of friends with whom I've grown up with etc. Although, since registering on here I have met some really nice people who I consider friends.

random mates are cool - i chat to random people on the tram n stuff - its really usuful knowing people outside your usual circle of mates, can get you far in life. about half my mates are people i randomly spoken to at places i have been. does ne1 else find people walkin up to you and chattin to people wrong?i dont i think its cool and wish more people did it, would make the world a more friendly place as generaly most people are friendly if you take the time to speak to them.

Sorry ranted on there - DAVE

Originally posted by Carolina

I am Spanish myself and found out when I arrived to this country that it is quite difficult making friends with English people, cos they stick together with friends in pubs, etc. and are not as open as other nationalities. Please, be more sociable!!!!

It's not much different with being Austrian. I find it extremely difficult to make friends. Or maybe it's all over at my age (29) and I might as well just resign myself to being alone FOREVER!!!

-Armin

Hmm, name of Armin...from Austria...I assume your surname is "Hartinger" and you know Kelly Dorset?

There can't be that many Austrian Armins in Sheffield, can there?

Originally posted by Carmine

Hmm, name of Armin...from Austria...I assume your surname is "Hartinger" and you know Kelly Dorset?

There can't be that many Austrian Armins in Sheffield, can there?

Yeah, that's me ... Kelly's actually been a good mate, having introduced me to some people.

-Armin

I find that offering sweets or a promise to see some fictitious puppys usually works when making friends

Originally posted by armin

Yeah, that's me ... Kelly's actually been a good mate, having introduced me to some people.

-Armin

Mr Dorset is an all-round good egg, for sure.

I make friends via cyberculture etc....

I count you guys on here and D.S mates; those of you on my MSN list as friends, yes - D.S is mrore formal though. Have quite a lot of D.S's on MSN too.

Originally posted by Dick Dastardly

I'm too shy to take that sort of approach, so I tend to stay with the small circle of friends with whom I've grown up with etc. Although, since registering on here I have met some really nice people who I consider friends.

what about me ?

Guest rosie

I recently sat in front of 10 strangers and informed them about my past, I now have 10 new friends and we all have something in common.