Any gardeners out there? Why are mushrooms growing on my lawn??

I did not think you could eat toadstools

They are just popular terms. Mushroom - edible , Toadstool - not.

But in reality if a white "mushroom" shaped thing appeared on your lawn you couldn't immediately say mushroom. Several species actually named "mushroom" are amongst the deadliest on the planet.

Best to do away with such a non scientific classification and just call them all fungi.

i have them in my back garden too. my dog ate one she seems to be ok.

Does anyone know why there are loads of mushrooms growing on my lawn. Just wondered if it was anything to do with time of year and wet weather?

It's very lucky to have a toadstool ring in your lawn ... it's where the fairies come to dance under the light of the moon ....

Stand inside it and make a wish, it'll come true soon :D

6 weeks ago a leak developed in the flat roof over my dormer window & the first I knew about it was a couple of mushrooms growing up out of the carpet!:o

How can that be?:confused:

Where do the seeds come from & where are the roots?:huh:

6 weeks ago a leak developed in the flat roof over my dormer window & the first I knew about it was a couple of mushrooms growing up out of the carpet!:o

Don't have seeds or roots.

Think spores, mould, if you leave a piece of bread on the floor for a few days it gets mouldy - fungus!!

They love damp conditions.

Thank you all so much - can't beleive how many responses I got! wasn't really expecting any..

I was kicking them up a few days ago and I thought I was spreading seed or something cause there are loads now. But obviously not, given the're a Fungus not a root.

wel, I'll just have to wait and hope to see the back of them in due course.

What was concerning me was that the gardens to the right and left of mine do not have any and I look after my lawn better than others.

I've just been out and counted them - there are over 30 within about 10 square yards.