Did Anybody Go To King Ecgberts?

Hi Mossy I went to King Ecgberts straight from Grimesthorpe junior. I was born in 1947 so it was probably 1958. An older girl called Valerie Barratt took me on the two buses to show me the ropes. I was very grateful. Your post brought back many memories. Going with school to see the Halle. My first time ever. Having to sing a solo in one of the school productions. Miss Cole was my form mistress too. Can you remember the name of the Music mistress? I remember Mrs Singleton scared the hell out of me. In a previous psot I mentioned that Miss Coates would not hear of any of her girls going into hairdressing. Appointments were made for inverviews and the school arranged your first job. My class mates were Helen Wilkinson, Elizabeth Harrison, Elaine Joyce, Sandra Bonnet, Diane Gould etc.

I was in Miss Griffiths class in 1961.Miss coates used to scare everyone to death.Fellow pupil Vicky Rawlins, does anyone remember her?

Hello Morty, I was born in 1943 so I've worked out from the dates that you must have been in the first year when I was in the fourth. I'll give a few more details so you may remember who I am. I used to read the lesson at Harvest Festival and at Christmas Carol services. There was a house Drama competition when St Hilda's put on the first scene of Bernard Shaw's St Joan, I produced it but you know I can't remember whether I played St Joan or Robert de Baudricourt, probably the latter because I could lower my voice; I played Scrooge in 'A Christmas Carol' (oh dear, those mutton chop whiskers and spirit gum to hold them on, and the pain when taking them off; I produced the comedy 'The Happiest Days of Your Life' when you would have been in the second year. I was Mr Pond, the headmaster in that.

Mrs Singleton was a friend of my mother, also a teacher, (at High Storrs) but I too found Mrs. S. a bit forbidding, maybe because I was frightened of Science! I can't remember the music teacher's name at the moment but I do recall she wore quite heavy makeup and had a stylish close cropped hairstyle. I think she may have been succeeded by a Miss jacqueline Williams but I'm not sure.

Yes, I remember about Miss Coates and the hairdressing. Somebody else has posted that she was scary, but you know, a feminist heart beat under all that straight-laced stuff. She wanted the best for her girls and she made a success of the place.

Let's keep exchanging the memories.

All best, Mossy

Hello Mossy I am amazed at your memory. I think I maybe mixing up my teachers. I didn't think the music teacher was young or I am thinking of the RE teacher? I just cannot remember things as easily as you do. I agree that Miss Coates brought out the best in her girls. We had good basic training - typing, bookkeeping and remember the little flat we had for domestic science? We were taught the basics of housework, ironing, how to set out a teatray correctly and of course how to cook meals etc. All things which stay with you forever. I still insist on the cup handles facing the same way!.I remember the assemblies and although I cannot recall all the school productions as you do I am now remembering the wonderful stage we had and how I nervously stood to sing "Once in Royal David's City". I never did follow in the footsteps of my late cousin, the actor Gary Bond! I did however work with various groups of young children and enjoyed putting on productions with them. Do you remember we once had a particularly bad winter and we had to walk up the school path with very steep snow on either side? Quite spectacular. I will keep on trying to jog the old memory.

i was at ecgberts from 82-87.remember comrade frank abel( the headteacher) banning the national anthem.mr goodwin(r.e.)nervous breakdown then marrying one of his pupils.mr white(loon), mr spires(spitfire), mr solway(tweed suit lover),mr appelhoff the short bearded genius)mr ray and mrs fells having a bit of hanky panky,mr waller(big red nose).still see mrs ferdinand and mr agar whos just retired and seen the mad old mrs carlson a few times too.she still looks the same now like a bulldog chewin a wasp1.and mr johnson p.e has retired due too bad knees but hes ok hes havind new ones.

mr johnson p.e has retired due too bad knees but hes ok hes havind new ones.

Passing over your other discourteous references, I am pleased to hear that Ian Johnston is still well - perhaps paying the price now for all that golf?

Gosh, it's thirty years since he persuaded me to go on one of his Christmas skiing trips for the staff and V1 form. We were playing at Sickleholme and by the second hole, I was on the trip to Aprica (Italy) - such were his selling powers! Hated skiing but the apres, 11am onwards, was very good. Cheers Ian.

he would have been 35 last sept, martyn passed away 31/1/06 age 34 from cancer did you know him?

jessiet My brother was good friends with Martyn and attended his funeral.My brother is called Darren and he was friends with Martyn from Lowfields School.I remember his mum worked at the bakery on Lowfields .

Hi there did you go to king ecgberts school in the past or present? We are making a memorial garden to celebrate 50 years of the school being open and also to create a memorial for people who have passed away whilst at the school, like the recent death of Ryan Parry who was an absolutely lovely person. it is also to celebrate heritage of the school too!

We would like to put names of old pupils and also memories of old pupils/teachers into use in the garden and memorial. I was wondering whether you could tell me your name and what years you were in the school. Also what your memories of the school were :) feel free too PM me if you don't want to put information on here

It would be very much appreciated by all

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this,

Samantha T

Y12 pupil(6th form)at King Ecgberts

Hi

Anyone out there go to King Ecgberts 1975-1980......???

Come on. 3 months...someone must have something to add...

Eggy's 78 to 83

Oh my, lots of great memories came flooding back, all those teachers...a few to add to the list: Mr Mackenzie who married Miss McDowell, Mrs Taylor, The Bowens, Mr Taylor, Mrs Lewis, Mrs Gore, Mr Agar, Mr Adams to name but a few...sure I could think of a few more. I remember Miss Griffiths, she was my form teacher in year 7 and was a nervous wreck most of the time,I seem to remember she was off for quite a while "maybe some sort of breakdown" was the rumour...hope it wasn't anything to do with our class!!

Remember lots of class mates but don't keep in contact with anyone really, lost touch when I moved away in '85. Back in sheffield and loving the forum.

Take care all you ex Eggy's.

Blimey....what a lot of evocotive memories, 1984 to 91 myself...I'm suprised how many staff seem to have stayed in the same place..I wonder was it a good school to teach at relative to others...Strange to think of all those teachers at differing stages of their lives and careers, witnessing all the changes. As a seven year old I watched my eldest brother playing footie with his mates on the bit between the infants and Kings croft, he was about to leave the sixthform. I remember hearing the names of teachers, with varying degrees of dread and enthusiasm..Mrs Carlson was particularly feared for some reason...I grew up in the area.. Why that is of any interest to anyone Im not sure:loopy: Could never afford to live there now!!:rolleyes: I think the walk between sites had its plusses and minuses, exersize yes, and on a sunny day, last lesson friday afternoon, you'd just daudle along... and if you fancied a lass, the anticipation of seeing her walk towards you in the other direction... but if someone was after you, that walk could be very scary, you might just get chance to hide in the conifer trees before you got spotted...I could probably go on, but i guess alot of the memories involve funny incidents with teachers, and I guess they put up with enough ****....I do remember mr Mee ramming a ruler down the back of Martin Oldfields' trousers repeatedly... it was so random, he'd been sitting there almost asleep in his chair, while said pupil was pokeing the girls bums in the row in front , and then all of a sudden he just got up and performed this bizarre manouvre. What he was trying to achieve I'm not sure, but I for one couldn't stop laughing about it for days.:hihi: More funny stories from past pupils and teachers please...;):cool: