Did Anybody Go To King Ecgberts?

Yep. It was nicknamed Totley Cowsheds :hihi:

Totley cowsheds I remember that place though I was fortunate to go to Totley All Saints... ok if you liked going to church every 10 minutes, been in three since 1978

i really cannot imagine Mr smiles angry. I was a real pain at school but never once saw him really angry. I'm not saying he didn't, i'm simply saying i cannot picture him angry.

I made him angry once when I pulled out Raymond Carr's chair from under him and he ended up on the floor, still smiling about it after all these years...

Eggy's 78 to 83

Oh my, lots of great memories came flooding back, all those teachers...a few to add to the list: Mr Mackenzie who married Miss McDowell, Mrs Taylor, The Bowens, Mr Taylor, Mrs Lewis, Mrs Gore, Mr Agar, Mr Adams to name but a few...sure I could think of a few more. I remember Miss Griffiths, she was my form teacher in year 7 and was a nervous wreck most of the time,I seem to remember she was off for quite a while "maybe some sort of breakdown" was the rumour...hope it wasn't anything to do with our class!!

Remember lots of class mates but don't keep in contact with anyone really, lost touch when I moved away in '85. Back in sheffield and loving the forum.

Take care all you ex Eggy's.

You would've been there when I was there, Miss McDowell who married Mr MacKenzie, she was the French teacher who hated me because I wasn't remotely interested in the subject, she said I would aspire to nothing and said this to the entire class... well Mrs M I am more highly qualified than you and I speak 3 languages and successfully run my own business so I really must be doing something correct

You will have been in the same year as my brother.If I remember right our RE teacher went on to marry a pupil out of your year,and Mrs Barr was going out with the geography teacher (his name has slipped my mind)

Mrs Barr was married to someone else when she and Mr Agar got together, incidentally do you have a brother called Allan?

I'm 28 now so no idea when i went. Wig man Bob evans was head teacher?

Yes! From '57 to '63. I now live in the Seattle US area.

I'm 28 now so no idea when i went. Wig man Bob evans was head teacher?

2 years older than me, so would guess either 1994-99, or 1995-2000 :)

Mr Agar was still there teaching geography when I was there in '99 to all you 1970's pupils :hihi:

Hi Dawdie I too went there around 1959 when kitty cotes was head - remember Mr Shaw, Miss Lant Mrs Singleton etc. was a really good school and I loved it seems a bit run down now

I was at King Ecgberts between 1961 - 68 (ish). I remember:

- catching the bus in Sheffield and having to wait until all the domestic cleaners got on the bus first.

- in the first year wearing the maroon beret at all times and dashing down to be first in line to get the bus home, By the second year we were strolling down and watching the new 1st years run past us!

- when we got snowed in and had to walk to the bus stop at Ecclesall as that's as far as the buses could reach. My knees were blue.

- buying a paddle shaped piece of licorice and a 2oz of cream soda in paper twist at the sweet shop in Dore

- creeping over the school boundary to build a den out of corrugated iron (for goodness sake!)

- weeping at all the old movies - Tale of Two Cities, Captain Hornblower, etc

- the terror in hockey when I had the ball and Miss Garrison took a swing at my stick legs to get possession. I let her have it - the ball that is!

- not having to play hockey 'cos the pitch was always flooded (hurrah)

- sneeking out to buy chips at lunch time at Totley Rise

- the last song of every term " The day thou gavest Lord, is ended, the darkness falls at thy behest"

- going on the day trip to York and the girls sewing up the hem of my skirt because it was too long. I had to untack it before I went home!

And was I the only one whose mother bought them the big maroon knickers with the pocket in them?

I remember all those things! wow such a long time ago. The berets we always had to wear, the little sweet shop in Dore. Yes, I wore those awful knickers! We were the first kids to enter the school when it opened. It was a really nice school, I don't know what it's like now. I was terrified of Mrs. Coates. I can't remember the name of the Geography teacher, she always had her arms folded under her chest! The music teacher was also terrifying.

I now live near Seattle US and am married to a lovely american. Those days were awesome, I guess we had a good education.

Let me know how you are doing.

I posted this on the other Forum site,in case you missed it -

I was at King Ecgberts between 1961 - 68 (ish). I remember:

- catching the bus in Sheffield and having to wait until all the domestic cleaners got on the bus first.

- in the first year wearing the maroon beret at all times and dashing down to be first in line to get the bus home, By the second year we were strolling down and watching the new 1st years run past us!

- when we got snowed in and had to walk to the bus stop at Ecclesall as that's as far as the buses could reach. My knees were blue.

- buying a paddle shaped piece of licorice and a 2oz of cream soda in paper twist at the sweet shop in Dore

- creeping over the school boundary to build a den out of corrugated iron (for goodness sake!)

- weeping at all the old movies - Tale of Two Cities, Captain Hornblower, etc

- the terror in hockey when I had the ball and Miss Garrison took a swing at my stick legs to get possession. I let her have it - the ball that is!

- not having to play hockey 'cos the pitch was always flooded (hurrah)

- sneeking out to buy chips at lunch time at Totley Rise

- the last song of every term " The day thou gavest Lord, is ended, the darkness falls at thy behest"

- going on the day trip to York and the girls sewing up the hem of my skirt because it was too long. I had to untack it before I went home!

And was I the only one whose mother bought them the big maroon knickers with the pocket in them?

Hiya, I started at King Ecgberts in 1961, think it was Mrs Bormans class? It was 1o anyway. AND I had big maroon knickers with pockets in them!!! Went on into secretarial 6th with Mr Shaw and Daddy Stan and as for Captain Hornblower...that really turned the waterworks on! Still cant listen to "The day thou gavest Lord" without shedding a tear.