Did Anybody Go To King Ecgberts?

I attended in the 60s when it was all girls. Ms Garrison was PE teacher then. Sounds as though she got worse in 70s.

The wonderful Jess Ennis went to King Egberts and was bullied. I wonder what the bullies are doing now?? Hanging their heads in shame I hope.

Did anyone go on the 1972 2nd yr school trip to London to see the Tutankhamun exhibition at the British museum. We walked EVERYWHERE:- Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace, St James Park for lunch, Trafalgar Square, Downing Street etc etc etc?

Miss/Mrs Bell was one of the teachers that day, who else?

If so does anyone have photos or know if there are any photos of this trip & EXACTLY when it was date wise?

Were cameras even invented then? :help:

Hi Manormaid...I was there 61-67, stayed on into secretarial 6th with Mr Shaw and "daddy Stan". I remember all the things you listed and still cry at "the day thou gavest". Started life there with Mrs Borman. I too had to catch the bus at Pond St so we were probably on the same bus :-)

Been reading some of the posts in here and was amazed to see lists of girls I knew back in the early 60s, some were in my class when I was there, and teachers as well....I thought Miss Coates was fair but strict...

Mr Shaw was a sweetheart, he taught me in art, Miss Byard for scripture as it was called back then, and the biology teacher mentioned in another post that frightened the life out of you....Singleton... Miss Walton was my favourite PE teacher, Garrison was harsh and I hated the showers with its concrete floors and no privacy....

My maiden name was Metcalfe and my classes after the 2nd year were 3,4 and 5L...anyone in here from that time? would be great to hear a word from you.... Think I left in 1963:)

Hi - there are some earlier posts over the last few years from pupils from the 1960s and 1970s - does anyone have any memories or tales of Mr Mike Short, biology teacher? He was my grandfather though unfortunately died quite young and i was never able to meet him - it would be really good to know any tales about him. Im aware he was quite strict - all and any stories would be much appreciated! Many thanks!

You will have been in the same year as my brother.If I remember right our RE teacher went on to marry a pupil out of your year,and Mrs Barr was going out with the geography teacher (his name has slipped my mind)

i remember something like that... i left in 1985...

My wife, then Theresa (Terry) Jubb went there back in about 1960.

I was there from Sept 1962 to summer 1967. Was in form 1o and 2o for the first 2 years and then in 3L 4L and 5L The L stood for language so we took German as well as french. I have lived in Denmark for the past 23 years but am in Sheff. about 3 times a year. Still in touch with Pamela Raine and Carolyn Stoney. The french teacher someone asked about was called Mr Jones. Mrs. Smith was our maths teacher. She was very good and I remember her explaining what a mortgage was. I went on the school exchange to osnabruck in Germany but have no idea how my parents could afford it. I lived in Heeley and remember Kathryn Mosley, Who lived round the corner on Artisan Place but she wasn't in the same form. Anyone know her whereabouts? Other teachers we had were Miss Griffiths,( who was very timid) Miss Cole (very boring geography) Mrs Borman (german and french). Mrs Nicholson took PE and I was captain of the school rounders team. We used to play other schools on Saturday mornings. Others in the same form were Susan Spencer Linda Buxton Jane Howard June Brawn Margaret Nichol to name a few.

Hi Betty Bookend, saw your post about your grandfather ,Mike Short. Iwas at King Ecgbert's 1967-1972. Mr Short was my biology teacher and formteacher, when Iwas in 3S. We girls loved him. Ieven became the locust moniter, so that I could stay in at lunch times in the biology lab ! He let us keep all sorts of pets in the lab, so we all had our own mice, and wealso had xenopus toads. I think he also had a fruit shop on the Ecclesall road, and one day he brought in a praying mantis that had come in with some bananas ! We kept it in the lab for ages and he was called Monty. He was quite strict and especially after the school became comprehensive, and loads of boys suddenly appeared. We girls still stayed in our original classes, and Ithink he quite liked us. I particularly remember him 'eating' a maggot during a biology lesson and going ''mm yummy''. I don't know to this day whether he really did eat it, but it looked very convincing ! I also remember a lesson on reproduction, when Mr Short started the lesson by saying 'Today we shall study reproduction. I shall refer only to the rabbit.''He was a lovely man with a real sense of humour, and he got me through my 'o' level biology. Iam so sad to hear he died young, because I sort of tought of him still being out there somewhere.

I went to king ecgberts

Edited by MR FOX

yes i went to king ecberts my name is simon thompson from 1971 until 1976 the head masters at the time were mr salway mr cartwright upper any lower schools,