Did Anybody Go To King Ecgberts?

Yes, Mrs Harris. Wow this is taking me back. Forummers really are an oracle of information...

I was once caught running along the corridor by Mr Short and he punched me in the abdomen and winded me, so my memories of him are not good.

I did not go to King egberts School, but I do remember it being built I think it was in the late Fifties. There was a P.E teacher called June Walton. Anyone remember her.

I did not go to King egberts School, but I do remember it being built I think it was in the late Fifties. There was a P.E teacher called June Walton. Anyone remember her.

I don't know of June Walton but that's not to say there wasn't. It has kick-started my memory as I think there was a Kath Walton whom I omitted from my list of French teachers along with Ted White.

The girls' PE staff comprised Miss Garrison Miss Grove and Mrs Wrigley.

I was at Eggies (now 31!). Mrs Shipley for RE (Bless you sweet child!), Mr Foster absolutely brilliant for Economics and politics, scary Mrs Carlson, Mr Margetts for Chemistry I think, and the lady with the drawn on eyebrows for German - whose name escapes me...Mr Johnson counting in Spanish in PE, and poor textiles teacher, to whom we gave a really hard time - Mrs Fitzpatrick. Sorry! Have strange memory of stamping round a mobile classroom shouting "THUNDER" whilst studying Shakespeare with Mrs Williams...

haha I was taught GCSE textiles by Mrs Fitzpatrick and am about to be taught A level Textiles by her too lol. poor woman seems to get a lot of greif off students but shes a great teacher!

Hi Aries22 I went to King Ecgbert's in the late fifties and there was indeed a PE teacher called June Walton. Miss Coles was the Geography teacher and I think Mrs Sinclair was Science teacher. Miss Hall taught French.

Yes! Harry Butler! Thank you and John Wade. How could I forget.......slow senility setting in I think. For some reason I also remember Mrs Porteous but I don't know what she taught. Mrs Berry who taught art, and married another art teacher.....Mr Shaw I think....

I went on the Latin trip to Italy with John Wade, still see the occasional car around with 'The John Wade singers' sticker in it.

I remember Mr Nuttall (English & PE) he has been in our shop within the last year and looks well. Miss Williams the music teacher bashing hell out of a piano singing 'Salway's got a head like a ping pong ball' as though it were the craziest thing she had ever done.

Miss Rawlings, what can you say, mad as a ships cat and completely obsessed with the 'classic's', fine if you were descended from the Fauntleroys but she was a bit lost with some of the kids bussed in from the other areas. I was in the second year of comprehensive intake and some of the teachers were in complete shock having spent their previous years teaching 'young gels' how to be ladies. Looking back it was hilarious, Mrs Jackson the history teacher was particularly funny. Mr Shaw ran what was the 'secretarial sixth'.

Mr Williams (art teacher at the upper school) was my form teacher for the last couple of years.

Owing to a complete lack of academic talent I had a laugh but hated school if I'm honest.

I went on the Latin trip to Italy with John Wade, still see the occasional car around with 'The John Wade singers' sticker in it.

I remember Mr Nuttall (English & PE) he has been in our shop within the last year and looks well. Miss Williams the music teacher bashing hell out of a piano singing 'Salway's got a head like a ping pong ball' as though it were the craziest thing she had ever done.

Miss Rawlings, what can you say, mad as a ships cat and completely obsessed with the 'classic's', fine if you were descended from the Fauntleroys but she was a bit lost with some of the kids bussed in from the other areas. I was in the second year of comprehensive intake and some of the teachers were in complete shock having spent their previous years teaching 'young gels' how to be ladies. Looking back it was hilarious, Mrs Jackson the history teacher was particularly funny. Mr Shaw ran what was the 'secretarial sixth'.

Mr Williams (art teacher at the upper school) was my form teacher for the last couple of years.

Owing to a complete lack of academic talent I had a laugh but hated school if I'm honest.

John Wade was one of the leading lights in the Dore G&S Society which held many of their shows in the Lower School hall. Mrs Porteous taught Maths as did dear old Harry whom I found to be a real kindred spirit. I believe Miss Rawlings came from the old Grange GS and you seem to have sussed out some of her shortcomings! How embarrassing were those end of term assemblies?

Thank goodness there were people like Harry who took the bottom sets and took it all in his stride - an introduction to Maths via table tennis!

John Wade was one of the leading lights in the Dore G&S Society which held many of their shows in the Lower School hall. Mrs Porteous taught Maths as did dear old Harry whom I found to be a real kindred spirit. I believe Miss Rawlings came from the old Grange GS and you seem to have sussed out some of her shortcomings! How embarrassing were those end of term assemblies?

Thank goodness there were people like Harry who took the bottom sets and took it all in his stride - an introduction to Maths via table tennis!

How embarassing, I was in that chorus line in HMS Pinafore. Must have marked me for life as I ended up in the Merchant Navy for 10 years!!!

:) If you went to King Ecgbert's around the time you mentioned then you were possibly at Greystones or Rowlinson before going to the newly built 'King Ecgbert's Tehnical School for Girls' to give its full name. If so you'll remember we girls from the two Intermediate schools mentioned above went to our brand new school in the September after finishing our third year,as it was then called. The teaching staff was made up of (mostly women) from our former schools. I only remember one man, the wonderfully informative and entertaining Commerce teacher. The man had such charisma! Wisely I thought, Miss Coates was an outside appointment. The deputy head Miss Varah came from Rowlinson. She shared A level English teaching (with Mrs Ridley whom everybody loved.) I was never quite at ease with Miss Varah and I don't think she liked me very much. Always said I had too many irons in the fire to get through the exams. (I did get through and got the prize for English A level.) And the irons: Drama, in the school plays and produced one myself when we were in the 5th form; formed the school music club and organised outside recitals and was a prefect and House

Captain of St. Hilda's. Judith Turley, Pam Bentley and I were mad on the Halle and went every week to the City Hall to hear them. Other girls I remember? Judith Curnow, Sylvia Fife, Winifred Earnshaw, Elizabeth Tuck, Elizabeth Brown. And staff? Miss Cole, Geography and my house mistress; Miss Lant, history; Mrs Carey who went to High Storrs and Mrs Fuller, French; Miss Benton, Art; Mrs Singleton, Biology; Miss Alexander, P.E. and Miss Byard, Religious Knowledge. I kept in touch with her until she died a few years ago.

Lots of wonderful stories and memories will have to wait until next time I post.

King Ecgbert's was a wonderful school and at the cutting edge of educational developments in our city, thanks to a forward looking Sheffield Education Committee. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Hope you and others will get back to me

The commerce teacher to whom you refer was Mr.Fred Shaw. You mention Mrs Cary going to High Storrs, quite a number of staff, including myself, made that very move and a further name you mention, Joy Alexander who later married and added Hall to her name, also went to High Storrs.

I made a post recently on a High Storrs' thread that Margaret Cary, who is now 90, had been in NGH suffering from a fractured skull and broken wrist after a fall. The last I heard on the grapevine was that she was recovering so hopefully she'll be even better now?

Thanks for quick reply Chairboy. How could I have forgotten to mention Fred's name. 100 lines Mossy - not that he My parents knew him well. They said he'd been emergency trained during the war and was walking proof that teaching needed something more than Oxbridge honours. Fred had it in bucketl loads. I'm most grateful to know that Mrs Carey's still alive and sorry about her recent fall. I lost touch with her when my mother died in 1997. They had been firm friends at High Storrs. My mother taught Needlework there and was friendly with Joy too, although of course she was much younger. I don't know when you went to High Storrs but it's rather creepy to think that you may have met my mother!

Thanks again. More about King Ecgbert's the next time I post.