Did Anybody Go To King Ecgberts?

I have no idea who Martin Shaw is but - and I'm dealing off-the-cuff over 30 years ago - English-teaching males; Tebbut, Warburton, Nuttall, Martin and Waller. There was a lady, Di Merrill(s) whom I think went to Silverdale to a management-team job? I've got to an age when names appear in the head at 4am! John Mee - well described - I nicknamed him 'Bertie' after the successful Arsenal coach but I don't remember the teacher answering to "Catweasle". Another music teacher I remember Mrs Eliff.

Pupils I remember - Janet George would have been about your age and a pleasant lad called Peter Fletcher. Clare Horton, son of the late-councillor Peter, was there. The Kinsey family, Sandy Harrison was one of the hockey stars and I recall a girl called Karen Gledhill whose granddad I knew as timpanist of the Halle! He'd be younger than you but Martin Scriven (Totley greengrocer) was one of my pupils. I came in 1974 and had a first year Set 1 with some absolute treasures. If all classes were like that one, I remember them with fond memories and hear most are doing very well in life, they'll be in their 40's now. Heartening to remember there were some success stories.

Whilst taking Photographs outside the Totley Brook Road side of of Wessex Building. (Before it was demolished). I took a photograph of a plaque dedicated to a former pupil.

Can anyone enlighten me upon this please?

Wow. You've certainly a better memory than myself! Thank you for all the information. Loads of memories flooding back. I think it was Mr Waller who was the teacher affectionately known as "Catweazle" by the pupils. I can't remember Mrs. Eliff. I do remember a music teacher called Miss Bell though. The only one of the pupils names you've mentioned that I recognise was Karen Gledhill. She also had a brother at the school Mark Gledhill I think. There was another English teacher who taught me for A level. Mr. Routh I think? Thin chap VERY into the subject. Massively influential into getting me passionate about all manner of things. T.S Elliot etc. Didn't appreciate it at the time though.

As you say, it was a very long time ago!

I was at King Ecgberts between 1967 an 1971 travelling one and a half hours to get there. Two buses across the city changing in the town centre. I remember the school as a girls only school for the first two (three?) years and then merging under the comprehensive system with Abbeydale Sec. I remember Mrs Frankish, Mrs Carlson and a fiercer Biology teacher that had a habit of throwing the board rubber at anyone that disrupted the class. Sorry I don't remember his name. I also remember a timid Maths teacher.

I also remember Miss Coates and her attempts to make us into young ladies.

I have many fond memories of the school and would love to hear from some fellow class mates, Molly Barton, Elaine Adams and Sandra Cargill.

Wow. You've certainly a better memory than myself! Thank you for all the information. Loads of memories flooding back. I think it was Mr Waller who was the teacher affectionately known as "Catweazle" by the pupils. I can't remember Mrs. Eliff. I do remember a music teacher called Miss Bell though. The only one of the pupils names you've mentioned that I recognise was Karen Gledhill. She also had a brother at the school Mark Gledhill I think. There was another English teacher who taught me for A level. Mr. Routh I think? Thin chap VERY into the subject. Massively influential into getting me passionate about all manner of things. T.S Elliot etc. Didn't appreciate it at the time though.

As you say, it was a very long time ago!

Mrs Eliff came from Abbeydale Grange. Yes, apologies for the forgotten English staff as there was Mike Routh and Ian Rouse. Routh used to run through Endcliffe Park and provided reviews of the Halle concerts for The Morning Telegraph (as it was then). Rouse, a tad younger, was a Derby County supporter. Just remembered a girl who was called Lynn Richmond whose dad was a Star photographer and I think her family now do wedding photos with a base Chesterfield/Dronfield?

One of the drawbacks of the school was three sites. Staff to leave one building at 9.55 get into a car and drive to Upper School or King's Croft to start another at 9.55am! Then to claim a derisory petrol amount when the car had been on the choke! I once bumped into Fred Shaw's car in my haste to get to a lesson! He took it very well, nice man.

Just remembered a junior member at the time, of the English Dept. I think she was called Helen Howling? and I liked her as she spoke her mind.

Mrs Eliff came from Abbeydale Grange. Yes, apologies for the forgotten English staff as there was a Routh and Rouse. Routh used to run through Endcliffe Park and provided reviews of the Halle concerts for The Morning Telegraph (as it was then). Rouse, a tad younger, was a Derby County supporter. Just remembered a girl who was called Lynn Richmond whose dad was a Star photographer and I think her family now do wedding photos with a base Chesterfield/Dronfield?

One of the drawbacks of the school was three sites. Staff to leave one building at 9.55 get into a car and drive to Upper School or King's Croft to start another at 9.55am! Then to claim a derisory petrol amount when the car had been on the choke! I once bumped into Fred Shaw's car in my haste to get to a lesson! He took it very well, nice man.

I don't remember Lynn Richmond I'm afraid. Yes, I never thought at the time, but it must have been somewhat impractical for the staff to get to each of the three sites. Also, I'm trying to work out who you are, and whether or not you had the dubious pleasure of teaching me......

I do remember feeling incredibly grown up when we went to to Kings Croft....and had a common room! We were allowed to play music in there, go to the chip shop at lunch times, and generally create mayhem....good memories.

I was at King Ecgberts between 1967 an 1971 travelling one and a half hours to get there. Two buses across the city changing in the town centre. I remember the school as a girls only school for the first two (three?) years and then merging under the comprehensive system with Abbeydale Sec. I remember Mrs Frankish, Mrs Carlson and a fiercer Biology teacher that had a habit of throwing the board rubber at anyone that disrupted the class. Sorry I don't remember his name. I also remember a timid Maths teacher.

I also remember Miss Coates and her attempts to make us into young ladies.

I have many fond memories of the school and would love to hear from some fellow class mates, Molly Barton, Elaine Adams and Sandra Cargill.

Before my time but Mrs Frankish and Mrs Carlson were still there. I suggest the timid Maths' teacher may be Margaret Griffiths - very knowledgable - but perhaps more suited to a girls' grammar school?

I'm trying to put some science names into the mix (without board rubbers!). I remember Mrs Foster, Miss Hickie who became Taylor, Mrs Ferdinand, Mrs Ibbotson, Ted Croot, Mr.Spiers, Colin Bargh and Mike Short whom I believe died some time ago as he had regular dialysis. Very sad, I liked Mike - one of the 'old school'. Mike Marsh was also in the Physics dept. There were also two Mrs Coopers, Margaret and Sheila.

magsjean - I think you'd remember Miss Littlewood (Home Economics) and Mrs Shipley?

miss coates will be 101 in September she is doing very well , my next door neighbour visits her quite often so i'll let her know she is mentioned on here. :|

Some names from my Maths set 1 group of 1975 - sorry if you aren't listed, it was a pleasure to teach you. Luscombe, Lant, Crookes, Gill, Ginn, Kinsey, Fry, Scriven, Kirton, Jacques, Houldsworth, a small lad who was a golf fan who lived on St.Quentins ?, Davies, Susan Mower, Fiona Fyfe, Shelley Cooper and Liz Mottram.

Other random names: Sophie Harvey whose mum taught French, the Cadmans - Mark, Trudi and Heidi - whose late father was a personal friend through cricket. Catherine Round (her dad another cricket friend). Russell Hague whose granddad Tom was a regular contributor to the Star Letters' Page. Jenni Woolbridge?, Shirley Bingham, Corinna Button, Gillian Bradbury and there was a very good athlete called Helen Glossop.

I remember a V1 form Commercial Maths group I took with a very pleasant girl called Suzanne and a Persian lad who was a real charmer. That proved to be a successful group.

Were any form pictures ever taken at King Ecgbert's, if so, can they be uploaded? They would help me recall more names of 30 years ago!

Before my time but Mrs Frankish and Mrs Carlson were still there. I suggest the timid Maths' teacher may be Margaret Griffiths - very knowledgable - but perhaps more suited to a girls' grammar school?

I'm trying to put some science names into the mix (without board rubbers!). I remember Mrs Foster, Miss Hickie who became Taylor, Mrs Ferdinand, Mrs Ibbotson, Mr.Spiers, Colin Bargh and Mike Short whom I believe died some time ago as he had regular dialysis. Very sad, I liked Mike - one of the 'old school'. Mike Marsh was also in the Physics dept.

magsjean - I think you'd remember Miss Littlewood (Home Economics)?

Yes it was Miss(Mrs) Griffiths, I always felt very sorry for her when she lost control of the class. I suppose you can guess that I was one of those strange people that enjoyed Maths. Home Economics was not my thing, sorry. At the beginning of year three you had the opportunity to drop some general subjects, Home Economics being one of them and concentrate on languages or sciences and maths. I chose Science and maths, not that I used any of those subjects in my career.

Its great to hear that Miss Coates is still going strong. King Ecgberts gave me a different outlook on life and despite Mrs Carlson who I found very scary I now have a keen interest in Social history.

Some names from my Maths set 1 group of 1975 - sorry if you aren't listed, it was a pleasure to teach you. Luscombe, Lant, Crookes, Gill, Ginn, Kinsey, Scriven, Kirton, Jacques, Houldsworth, a small lad who was a golf fan who lived on St.Quentins ?, Davies, Susan Mower, Fiona Fyfe, Shelley Cooper and Liz Mottram.

Other random names: Sophie Harvey whose mum taught French, the Cadmans - Mark, Trudi and Heidi - whose late father was a personal friend through cricket. Catherine Round (her dad another cricket friend). Russell Hague whose granddad Tom was a regular contributor to the Star Letters' Page. Jenni Woolbridge?, Shirley Bingham, Corinna Button, Gillian Bradbury and there was a very good athlete called Helen Glossop.

I remember a V1 form Commercial Maths group I took with a very pleasant girl called Suzanne and a Persian lad who was a real charmer. That proved to be a successful group.

Were any form pictures ever taken at King Ecgbert's, if so, can they be uploaded? They would help me recall more names of 30 years ago!

I was in the same form as Jennifer Wooldrige and Shirley Bingham, there was also Cathrine Fisher, Tina folley, Julie Fells but to name a few. Does anyone remember the Warburton sisters? Allison and Lisa, and maybe Julie? Happy days.

I was in the same form as Jennifer Wooldrige and Shirley Bingham, there was also Cathrine Fisher, Tina folley, Julie Fells but to name a few. Does anyone remember the Warburton sisters? Allison and Lisa, and maybe Julie? Happy days.

Hi only me. Nice to hear from you. Thought a few names would generate a bit of interest, keep them coming. Shirley will know who I am as I'm a good friend of her sporting uncle! Catherine Fisher was in my Maths set.