Where are Sheffield's nuclear shelters?

strange question - does anyone know where a nuclear bunker is in sheffield? i saw a tv show on shelters(yes i am sad for watching it) but it got me thinking sheffields a big city so where is its shelters?can anyone help?

cheers

DAVE

could have been the hole in the road. We could've all sat against the wall behind a pillow and bit of wood, such as a door or bit of bench.:)

Dont know if there are any, but in the film 'Threads', there was one under the old eggbox building.

apparently there is one under the Moorfoot building for the civil servants.

Originally posted by slh73

Dont know if there are any, but in the film 'Threads', there was one under the old eggbox building.

*sniggers*

Thanks for the link to the tunnels site - thats really cool - i always knew sheffield was much more intersting than it looked - about those tunnels an old teacher of mine used to live in an old monestry somewhere in sheffield and she always sed there was a tunnel going from her house to manor castle and sheffield castle - does anyone know if people managed to get in to the tunnels?

DAVE

Andy

Interesting link. Thanks for that. I used to work for BT in Manchester but never got to go down the tunnels although colleagues of mine did. If I'm not mistaken, the big fire that knocked out all the phones in Manchester last month was in the Guardian exchange tunnels.

If you're into this kind of thing there is a nuclear bunker open to the public in Nantwich, Cheshire and Stockport has a system of tunnels that are also open to the public. These weren't nuclear bunkers but are much older and were used in WW2 as air raid shelters. Well worth a visit.

http://www.funforall.co.uk/museums_north_west_england.htm

hey thanks every1 i got my answer to my question - a mate o mine reackons high stors skools got a bunker under the playin field - any one confirm that? sheffields tunnels seem really interesting anyone know a way in?

the old infermery on infermert road next to safeways, has tunnels leading off to the hospitals and other places used back in the war.

suposed to be haunted too.

Originally posted by Cols

If you're into this kind of thing there is a nuclear bunker open to the public in Nantwich, Cheshire

The road signs for this say 'Secret Nuclear Bunker' - which always make me laugh!