Where are Sheffield's nuclear shelters?

There's a similar sign in Nantwich (or Middlewich). Could be that one.

Originally posted by alchresearch

There's a similar sign in Nantwich (or Middlewich). Could be that one.

Yes, that's the one! It's a cold war museum now, I think.

Originally posted by Geordiecarl

I used to work at the royal mail offices in pond street on the evening data imput shift, on my break i used to talk to a bloke who lived in park hill all his life, a wiered fellow but had a few interesting facts about the city. One of which was about the nuclear shelters. They are located underneath telephone house (the BT building near the fire station and go under the city to the City hall, how reliable this is i dont know. Apparently telephone house is not operated by BT at all but is a top secret government building, and apparently you will never find anyone who works there. I am inerested if anyone else had heard this.

Mind you this bloke sold druge too, think he was called duncan!

I work there. All my friends work there. Dont believe everything from drug selling men called Duncan.

Theres one under the town hall in the Centre... r at least there was!

There are some hellish dodgy things underneath Moorfoot building, giant entrance to the rear big enough for huge miliatary vehicles, followed by huge tunnels heading underground with signs warning of those little tractor type things you get at airports, really big and wide access. Also the whole building is designed so if a bomb hits it or anything only one third of it would fall at a time. The place always confused me, and there is the weird concrete type building nearby that has no entrances or windows and is surrounded by barbed wire, that I am sure is connected in someway. Anyone else know more on these

Originally posted by bonny

apparently there is one under the Moorfoot building for the civil servants.

Just about every civil service building has an old nuclear bunker underneath it.

That’s just what you want when you miraculously immerge from behind your homemade (dinning room door) shelter, is a disproportionate number of bureaucrats to general population, although I think we already have that!

I think from these comments we can say that all of sheffield could be an underground bunker!

There's no nuclear shelter or anything under Moorfoot except a load of concrete! The big entrance to the rear (:P ) is merely the entrance to the car park, though you do get military sized vehicles going in, in the shape of 4x4s (only later to have their bumpers and roofs scratched trying to negotiate the tight ramps).

It is designed in a 'modular' fashion (there are expandable sections of wall and floor within the building, something to do with concrete & safety), but the bomb theory is only one of many. Another has it that it was designed by the same person who made the pentagon. Or that it is hexagonal to emulate 'bees' and 'hives' (there's a joke in that...). But the most sensible theory is that it is designed like that simply to maximise the light getting into the offices.

The only dodgy thing under there is someone having an illicit extra long tea break.

The concrete place nearby is an enormous electricity substation.

Originally posted by davey_c

hey thanks every1 i got my answer to my question - a mate o mine reackons high stors skools got a bunker under the playin field - any one confirm that? sheffields tunnels seem really interesting anyone know a way in?

I can confirm this. During history we had to do an assignment on the tunnels and was taught about the ones that run under the field.

Originally posted by davey_c

Thanks for the link to the tunnels site - thats really cool - i always knew sheffield was much more intersting than it looked - about those tunnels an old teacher of mine used to live in an old monestry somewhere in sheffield and she always sed there was a tunnel going from her house to manor castle and sheffield castle - does anyone know if people managed to get in to the tunnels?

DAVE

manor house you mean, there isnt a manor castle. :P