Where are Sheffield's nuclear shelters?

There's one under the new(ish) court building apparently...

I used to work at the royal mail offices in pond street on the evening data imput shift, on my break i used to talk to a bloke who lived in park hill all his life, a wiered fellow but had a few interesting facts about the city. One of which was about the nuclear shelters. They are located underneath telephone house (the BT building near the fire station and go under the city to the City hall, how reliable this is i dont know. Apparently telephone house is not operated by BT at all but is a top secret government building, and apparently you will never find anyone who works there. I am inerested if anyone else had heard this.

Mind you this bloke sold druge too, think he was called duncan!

Also if someone wanted to kill as many people as possible with an attomic bomb they would drop it on sheffield as it has more people within 60 miles of it than anywhere else in the country, which is why meadowhall was built there!

Originally posted by Geordiecarl

Apparently telephone house is not operated by BT at all but is a top secret government building, and apparently you will never find anyone who works there.

Surely even top secret government buildings need people working in them?

A white van once stopped me and asked direction to it. They certainly didn't look like top-secret government employees. Unless their disguise is so good thats what they WANTED me to think... :suspect:

Originally posted by Geordiecarl

They are located underneath telephone house (the BT building near the fire station and go under the city to the City hall, how reliable this is i dont know. Apparently telephone house is not operated by BT at all but is a top secret government building, and apparently you will never find anyone who works there. I am inerested if anyone else had heard this.

There may be something in this. The underground bunkers and tunnels in Manchester and Birmingham are looked after by BT because they run cables through them.

http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk/guardian/

I would imagine Sheffield to have a similar system, what with it once being the world capital for steel manufacture. Perhaps it's just been kept more secret than the others?

Originally posted by JoePritchard

I believe that only Switzerland and China had set policies for getting large numbers of civiliians in to shelters during a nuclear exchange in the cold war. The USSR had some shelters, western cities with metro systems were expected to make use of them.

In any swedish settlement you will see these signes dotted around the place

http://www.boden.se/miljo_och_byggforvaltning/bilder/skylt.jpg

indicating there is a bombshelter or general shelter in the building. In times of "crisis" all citizens will be expected to play their part in preparing shelters. These range from simple reinforced basement areas to fully equipped shelters with blast doors and air purification plants.

All swedish cities also have civil defense alarms tested on the first monday of the month at 1pm (in Malmö at least).

It's a bit of a palliative measure in the face of a global nuclear war, but this system (from the Swedish Department of 'Rescuing People') is also intended for conventional warfare.

Secret Nuclear shelters aren't very useful IMO, as no-one knows where to go when "the time comes".

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

Secret Nuclear shelters aren't very useful IMO, as no-one knows where to go when "the time comes".

I don't think there was any provision of shelters for the "great unwashed".

The "secret" bunkers are/were for those at the top of government, armed, emergency & support services.

But, as a former fire chief said to me "if they think that I'm going to go in there and leave my family behind; they have another thing coming!"

Originally posted by alchresearch

How's about this for a well hidden bunker?

There's one of those somewhere between Stoke and Wales, too!