Sheffields Jewish Community.

Im aware of the Jewish cemetary in Parson Cross, but how big is Sheffields Jewish community? How many Jewish people use the forum? Does anyone know the history of the community in Sheffield?

Is this the right section for this thread?

The Jewish Cemetary is not really in Parson Cross. It is in the 'Colley' area, Colley Road to be precise. Most people call this Ecclesfield, which it was in the old days. Go down Barnsley Road from Lane Top towards Ecclesfield. When you have reached the dip in the road and start to climb, take the first left into Colley Road. There is a Post Office on the corner. The Cemetery is on your left, possibly a third to half a mile away.

I remember seeing the occasional funeral there in the 70s when i was a kid and playing on the fields next to the brook, We even played in the cemetary itself at nights when no one was around.

There is a Jewish cemetery off Waller Road in Rivelin Valley.

Its odd isnt it? They seem so insular and seperate from the rest of the population of the city, I wonder why.

We knew of the cemetary but never actually saw any Jewish people unless there was a funeral. Ok. they dont have three heads or anything or wear vastly different clothes to us but still... Id have thought they would have made more of an impact.

One of the reasons Im enquiring about this is because there does seem to be an... Anti-Semetic streak to certain parts of the forum. I just hope there arent any Jewish people reading them and taking them too much to heart.

One of the reasons Im enquiring about this is because there does seem to be an... Anti-Semetic streak to certain parts of the forum. I just hope there arent any Jewish people reading them and taking them too much to heart.

Of course, anti-semitism is offensive to all right thinking people; not just Jews

Of course, anti-semitism is offensive to all right thinking people; not just Jews

Yeah i know but, I hate for them to see the bad threads. I hate for anyone to see stuff like that.

There is a Jewish cemetery off Waller Road in Rivelin Valley.

So there all dead then :confused:

When I was growing up on The Cross, my family doctor, a lovely guy called Jack Anderson, was Jewish, and later became one of the key elders of the Sheffield Jewish community.

There is also a very good osteopath up at Ranmoor called Michael Cohen, who is a practising Jew.

The Sheffield Jewish community was always much smaller than those in Manchester and Leeds. I know this because local Jews used to have to travel to get their Kosher food. (I guess they can buy it on line now)

They are known as '' Frummers'' - but I have probably spelt it incorrectly.

Fruhm/ frohm is just the yiddish/hebrew for "orthodox".

the people you saw at ladybower, fr8nk, were possibly Hasidim (Hasidic Jews, who wear the sideburn "locks" of hair.)

I don't think Jewish people are insular Jabber, you probably know lots but they don't make a lot of fuss about their religion, they just blend in, unless they happen to be ultra orthodox. Then it's the earlocks and yamulke, or long black coats and small black hats, and the women wear wigs If you go through North London on the coach, you'll see them out and about everywhere.

The Jewish people I used to work for and those who were family friends when I was a child were just ordinary people, I remember Auntie Cissie especially :). The odd thing I remember was that they called our grandmother Bobbi or the southern ones said Bubba, same as most people in Sheffield say nanan instead of nana or granny.

If you look at 8-10 North Church Street just off Campo Lane This building was perhaps the original Jewish Synagogue in Sheffield. It was for a time used as a warehouse first of all by the Bradford Wollen Company who later moved to the old Don Cinema on West Bar about 1958-59. It was then taken over by H. Memmott & Sons Ltd who were suppliers to the Hairdressing Trade.

I remember talking to an old Jewish chap who remembers both going to school there and also worshipping in the synagogoue. There is some Hebrew writing over the original door by St Peters Close which I think was a quotqion form the book of psalms